Literature What are you currently reading?

An Incomplete Revenge
by Jaqueline Winspear

I got another Maisie Dobbs books from the library. I forgot that I had put it on hold. This is the fifth one in the series.

I was planning on taking a break from Maisie when this book arrived. I will after this book. I just found out there are 14 Maisie novels as of now. I can see getting burnt out on them. Pacing.

Reactions: Emma JC
I have read yet another debut novel published in 2017. It is "Girl in Snow" by Danya Kukafka. It is a crime novel about the murder of a high school girl. It is told by each character having a chapter from their perspective. It is a well written book that deals with teenagers, their parents, and their inner thoughts and feelings. Very moving. I will be looking for the author's next novel coming in 2022!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I've been making my way through the list of non-fiction books I mentioned on here lately so I wanted to read a thriller instead. I read Shari Lapena - The End of Her yesterday. It was her weakest book but I still read it in one sitting!

I'm reading Someone We Know by the same author today. This one is meant to be much better.

I read a book called "The Singer's Gun" by Emily St. John Mandel. I had read another book of hers that was really good. This one was not as gripping but still a decent read.

Reactions: Emma JC and Ahimsa
I read a book called "The Singer's Gun" by Emily St. John Mandel. I had read another book of hers that was really good. This one was not as gripping but still a decent read.
"Station Eleven" Chrissie? If so, I read that recently too, very good I thought. I'm now reading my way through John Wyndham's books, starting with "The Day of the Triffids" which is excellent."

"Station Eleven" Chrissie? If so, I read that recently too, very good I thought. I'm now reading my way through John Wyndham's books, starting with "The Day of the Triffids" which is excellent."
Yes it was that one and I thought it was really good. This one was written back in 2010. It was about human trafficking.

I've been making my way through the list of non-fiction books I mentioned on here lately so I wanted to read a thriller instead. I read Shari Lapena - The End of Her yesterday. It was her weakest book but I still read it in one sitting!

I'm reading Someone We Know by the same author today. This one is meant to be much better.
Hmm, Someone We Know wasn't that great either.

I'm starting a non-fiction book today on personal finance. I'm just going through my whole kindle to see what is on there and if I don't like a book I will just delete it as a lot were only 99p or borrowed from Amazon anyway. I will persevere if I have spent more money on some of them.

• Friendly
I didn't like that finance book either. I weeded out the books I'm not going to read so I'm down to 38 books on my kindle now. I returned another few as I borrowed them from Amazon Prime.

I had the 5th Twilight book (Midnight Sun) on my wishlist and also a Minka Kent book and they are both 99p at the moment so I bought them. :)

Battle Ground
By Jim Butcher
Dresden Files #17

I've been reading the Dresden Files for almost 20 years. Mostly as the book came out. About once per year.

I got tired of them for a while and stopped reading them a few years back. but with another new book and the quarantine I thought I would catch up.

Battle Ground is the latest in the series.

Strange, but I just checked and for some reason I never posted about Dresden before. I guess most of my time here has been when I was tired of him. And the last couple of books I read were just working up to this book. But I see a number of other VFers are fans of the series. The posts about Dresden are all before my time here.

I didn't like the last 4 or so books in the series that much. I realize that character need to change/evolve or we would get bored with them. but I don't like the direction the author choose.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Harry Dresden is a "working wizard" in Chicago. He has a PI license and the first dozen books definitely have a hard boiled detective/noire mystery thing going. The police don't like him meddling with active investigations, and the council of wizards don't like him working in plain sight. He has few friends and many enemies. His wizard powers are a work in progress.

The first half dozen books are pretty much small scale magic stuff. but by the end we get into major magical acts, super-powerful enemies, and epic battles.

Throughout Dresden is a likable character full of pop culture references and witty banter. Also although the books stop being the detective solving a mystery, there always is some twists, turns and surprises along the way.

Oh, and there was a short lived TV series. I only watched one or two episodes. they miscast everyone, left a lot out and changed too much. I hate when the do that.

Battle Ground
By Jim Butcher
Dresden Files #17

I've been reading the Dresden Files for almost 20 years. Mostly as the book came out. About once per year.

I got tired of them for a while and stopped reading them a few years back. but with another new book and the quarantine I thought I would catch up.

Battle Ground is the latest in the series.

Strange, but I just checked and for some reason I never posted about Dresden before. I guess most of my time here has been when I was tired of him. And the last couple of books I read were just working up to this book. But I see a number of other VFers are fans of the series. The posts about Dresden are all before my time here.

I didn't like the last 4 or so books in the series that much. I realize that character need to change/evolve or we would get bored with them. but I don't like the direction the author choose.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Harry Dresden is a "working wizard" in Chicago. He has a PI license and the first dozen books definitely have a hard boiled detective/noire mystery thing going. The police don't like him meddling with active investigations, and the council of wizards don't like him working in plain sight. He has few friends and many enemies. His wizard powers are a work in progress.

The first half dozen books are pretty much small scale magic stuff. but by the end we get into major magical acts, super-powerful enemies, and epic battles.

Throughout Dresden is a likable character full of pop culture references and witty banter. Also although the books stop being the detective solving a mystery, there always is some twists, turns and surprises along the way.

Oh, and there was a short lived TV series. I only watched one or two episodes. they miscast everyone, left a lot out and changed too much. I hate when the do that.
That sounds like something I might enjoy! I will check the library. I just started reading "Squeeze Me" by Carl Hiaasen. I think @Lou recommended it. So far I love it! So funny! I have always enjoyed Hiaasen's books.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I'm pretty sure I "reviewed" Squeeze Me here. I think Emma read it too.
When my mom lived in Florida she got me hooked on the Floridian writers.
If I could choose any 3 guys to drink a few beers with it would be Carl, Elmore, and Dave. Probably at a Tiki bar on the ocean.

I'm pretty sure I've read most everything by Hiaasen including most of his YA. Seems like he books always are set between the Keys and WPB.

I'm pretty sure I "reviewed" Squeeze Me here. I think Emma read it too.
When my mom lived in Florida she got me hooked on the Floridian writers.
If I could choose any 3 guys to drink a few beers with it would be Carl, Elmore, and Dave. Probably at a Tiki bar on the ocean.

I'm pretty sure I've read most everything by Hiaasen including most of his YA. Seems like he books always are set between the Keys and WPB.
I have read most of Hiaasen's books and years and years ago I read a ton of Elmore. I haven't read much of Dave's though. I think they would be cool to hang out with too. Mr Leonard passed away in 2013 though.
Speaking of the Florida Keys, Allegiant Airlines is going to start flights from Sanford to the Keys this summer for only $100!! I am hoping to get my sister to go on a weekend with me! I have never been there and would love to go and that is a cheap flight!

I have read most of Hiaasen's books and years and years ago I read a ton of Elmore. I haven't read much of Dave's though. I think they would be cool to hang out with too. Mr Leonard passed away in 2013 though.
Speaking of the Florida Keys, Allegiant Airlines is going to start flights from Sanford to the Keys this summer for only $100!! I am hoping to get my sister to go on a weekend with me! I have never been there and would love to go and that is a cheap flight!
Mostly I loved Dave Barry's Sunday Newpaper column. I think his crime stories are very Hiaasen-like. Big Trouble was made into a movie! Plus they used his some of his books and turned them into a TV show called Barry's World.

I've been to the Keys. We drove there but I can't remember where we started from (maybe Miami). But my parents started from Boca. We went in August and boy did it rain hard. I still remember landing after Midnight and going outside and it was like like 90 degrees and pouring and of course dark. Very weird.

This was before I was vegan and I remember a lot of non-vegan things. Turtle soup and dolphin shows.
but snorkeling in a little lake was my favorite.

I added another book that I had already read but wanted to read again to my kindle so I have 36 books left now.

I realised today that I've finished all the non-fiction paper books and I had a big stack of them. I suppose I have had a lot of extra time to read with lockdown!

I'm going to read a thriller tomorrow.

I added another book that I had already read but wanted to read again to my kindle so I have 36 books left now.

I realised today that I've finished all the non-fiction paper books and I had a big stack of them. I suppose I have had a lot of extra time to read with lockdown!

I'm going to read a thriller tomorrow.
Not "Fifty Shades if Grey" again! Lol. 😉

Reactions: Lou