Literature What are you currently reading?

I started Ordinary Grace when the power went out.

Reactions: Val
I finished the book by the Florida writer and will get more of her novels as I enjoyed her writing. I also read "Earth Abides". I don't remember how I found out about this book; perhaps it was on a list of memorable sci-fi. It was quite an interesting read. It is an old book, written in 1949. It is about an epidemic that kills off most of the population of the Earth. It is pretty dated but it is the main character and his development that drives the story.

I finished the book by the Florida writer and will get more of her novels as I enjoyed her writing. I also read "Earth Abides". I don't remember how I found out about this book; perhaps it was on a list of memorable sci-fi. It was quite an interesting read. It is an old book, written in 1949. It is about an epidemic that kills off most of the population of the Earth. It is pretty dated but it is the main character and his development that drives the story.

I think it was me that recommended that book. I really liked how the Earth Abides looks at what happens with animals when the humans are gone.

We also talked about Florida mystery/crime writers. I couldn't remember the name of one. And now I remember it. Elmore Leonard. OH. BTW, Hiaasen has a new book coming out later this month. I put it on hold at my library.

I'm about to finish 10% Happier - Dan Harris.

Nightline anchor Dan Harris embarks on an unexpected, hilarious, and deeply skeptical odyssey through the strange worlds of spirituality and self-help, and discovers a way to get happier that is truly achievable.

After having a nationally televised panic attack on Good Morning America, Dan Harris knew he had to make some changes. A lifelong nonbeliever, he found himself on a bizarre adventure, involving a disgraced pastor, a mysterious self-help guru, and a gaggle of brain scientists. Eventually, Harris realized that the source of his problems was the very thing he always thought was his greatest asset: the incessant, insatiable voice in his head, which had both propelled him through the ranks of a hyper-competitive business and also led him to make the profoundly stupid decisions that provoked his on-air freak-out.

I think it was me that recommended that book. I really liked how the Earth Abides looks at what happens with animals when the humans are gone.

We also talked about Florida mystery/crime writers. I couldn't remember the name of one. And now I remember it. Elmore Leonard. OH. BTW, Hiaasen has a new book coming out later this month. I put it on hold at my library.

Yes "Earth Abides" does an admirable job of describing how things go back to primitive in an apocalypse. I have read many Elmore Leonard books though it has been several years. I will look for the Hiaason book.
I am picking up the book KLS said she read today. I am waiting for the 3rd book in a series but I have the 4th one now. I hope the 3rd one becomes available soon.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
@KLS52 Thank you for posting that book "Ordinary Grace." I finished it today and I liked it a lot! Since it took place in Minnesota not that far from where I grew up, it was very relatable. Also my maiden name is Brandt!! This is a common German name and there are many Brandts that are not related to me though I still have family up there in Minnesota. Having major characters in a book with the same name makes it very easy to get involved in the story (as well as the location). I admit the end got to me and I cried but I really liked the book and I will look for others by this author.

Hiaasen has a new book coming out later this month. I put it on hold at my library.

While I was in the library catalog I discovered Hiaasen had a book that I hadn't read yet, Squirm. they had the e-book available for immediate download. It's actually a YA book. I have read at least one of his YA books before and liked it. Plus I could use some light reading. So I'm about halfway done with it now and so far I like it.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
Back in June, I discovered the TV character Bones is based on a real person. That intrigued me. I had seen an episode or two of Bones but didn't like it. But my sister does, so I thought I would give it a second chance. I watched the first episode. Still don't like it.

The person who Bones is based on is a real person, Kathy Reichs. Actually Bones is based on the character Dr. Reichs created for her novels, Temperance Brennen. But the character Temperance in her novels is just a different version of Reichs. I checked out the e-book, Deja Dead, and just finished it. I'm more of a Mystery reader than a fan of crime novels. But for Crime novels, I thought it was pretty good. Especially for a first-time novelist. And I think its a safe assumption that the crime-solving is pretty accurate.

Maybe my biggest criticism is that in an attempt to create foreshadowing one of the plot points is too predictable. But maybe that was intentional.

Also, the TV show lost some more points in my book. The TV character Temperance is not really like the character in the book. I think its some kind of personal quirk on my part but I hate when the scriptwriter makes modifications. Don't even get me started on Sherlock Holmes. I wonder if the fans of Kathy Reich's books took issue with it, too.

Reactions: Val
I liked the TV show "Bones" but I haven't read the books. I will have to look for them. I am currently reading a memoir called "The Dragons the Giant the Women" by Wayetu Moore a Liberian immigrant. It is the story of her life, from escaping the war in Liberia when she was 5 (1990), to her maturing in the US. It is quite enlightening. She has also written a novel which I will try to find.

I liked the TV show "Bones" but I haven't read the books. I will have to look for them. I am currently reading a memoir called "The Dragons the Giant the Women" by Wayetu Moore a Liberian immigrant. It is the story of her life, from escaping the war in Liberia when she was 5 (1990), to her maturing in the US. It is quite enlightening. She has also written a novel which I will try to find.
They have an audio version! 😊

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I've read some of the Bones books, years ago now, though. I have only seen a few clips of the show as it didn't hold my attention.

I'm reading Together at the moment.

In this groundbreaking book, Former Surgeon General of the United States, Vivek Murthy argues that loneliness is the underpinning to the current crisis in mental wellness and is responsible for the upsurge in suicide, the opioid epidemic, the overuse of psych meds, the over-diagnosing and pathologizing of emotional and psychological struggle.

Back in June, I discovered the TV character Bones is based on a real person. That intrigued me. I had seen an episode or two of Bones but didn't like it. But my sister does, so I thought I would give it a second chance. I watched the first episode. Still don't like it.

The person who Bones is based on is a real person, Kathy Reichs. Actually Bones is based on the character Dr. Reichs created for her novels, Temperance Brennen. But the character Temperance in her novels is just a different version of Reichs. I checked out the e-book, Deja Dead, and just finished it. I'm more of a Mystery reader than a fan of crime novels. But for Crime novels, I thought it was pretty good. Especially for a first-time novelist. And I think its a safe assumption that the crime-solving is pretty accurate.

Maybe my biggest criticism is that in an attempt to create foreshadowing one of the plot points is too predictable. But maybe that was intentional.

Also, the TV show lost some more points in my book. The TV character Temperance is not really like the character in the book. I think its some kind of personal quirk on my part but I hate when the scriptwriter makes modifications. Don't even get me started on Sherlock Holmes. I wonder if the fans of Kathy Reich's books took issue with it, too.
The first episode of Bones isn't the best episode of this series. Moreover, the first season isn't the best one. The following seasons and episodes are better, IMO. Tbh, i liked David Boreanaz in "Seal team" series much more. "Seal team" is a good movie. I rarely watch all seasons of one show till the end, but i watched "Seal team" til the end, and i even regretted they'd released only 2 seasons (by August of 2019). I have to check it out: perhaps some more of it has appeared?

Reactions: Lou
I have finished a novel by the Minnesota author of "Ordinary Grace." This one is "This Tender Land" and also takes place in Minnesota. It is set in 1932 during the depression and is another really good book. William Kent Krueger is the author and he has written several other books which I will search the library for.
I now have the novel by Wayetu Moore called "She Would Be King."