Literature What are you currently reading?

I finished the book I was reading about Florida pioneers. It was about southern Florida, an area I am not that familiar with. I have not been as far south as Miami but I have been to West Palm Beach and Jupiter so I recognized some of the towns discussed. It was interesting and covered up until the late 90's. It is pretty amazing how the population exploded from the 50's to the 90's!

Reactions: Mischief and Val
I just finished The Black Prism, by Brent Weeks. It's the first book in a fantasy series, and I liked it well enough to read the rest as they become available through the library. (They're all checked out atm.)

I also just finished Big Lies in a Small Town, by Diane Chamberlain. It had gotten good reviews, but I found it rather meh.

Inspired by Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead, I am again re-reading William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience.

I am also reading Ruth Downie's Medicus series, an entertaining series of mysteries set in Roman Britain.

Reactions: Val
I have just started Lost Connections - Johann Hari. I listened to him talking on a podcast the other day and thought I would read one of his books. It has 'Wonderful' - Hillary Clinton on the front cover.

Reactions: Val and Lou
I have just started Lost Connections - Johann Hari. I listened to him talking on a podcast the other day and thought I would read one of his books. It has 'Wonderful' - Hillary Clinton on the front cover.

What is it about?

I just finished
A Gentleman in Moscow
By Amor Towles

One of the best books I ever read.
Honestly, I don't think I can express how good this book is. So instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, just check out a few of the books reviews

Reactions: Val and Sax
I'm reading The Earth Abides right now. I finally broke down and I'm reading it online from the Internet Archive.

I just wanted to mention here that since in many places libraries are closed there are some great resources you can use at home and download ebooks and audiobooks.

Hoopla is a website and your library has to subscribe to it and you will need a library card. It does not have the best sellers but it does have lots of pretty good stuff. Lots and lots of mysteries and romances. Also hundreds of books on veganism.

Libby is an app. it is just a friendlier way to access overdrive. You can see all the ebooks in your county's libary system and download them. Many of them you won't even have to wait for. If you have a favorite author chance are that some of his/her books are available.

Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I finished the second book in the "Expanse" series. Someone on this forum recommended this sci-fi series and I am really enjoying it. However, the library doesn't have the 3rd book! I am so bummed! My library is doing a pick up service; you reserve books or DVD's online and drive up to pick them up when they email you they are available. You then call from the car and they bring your items out to you. There is also the online streaming as Lou mentioned.

I finished the second book in the "Expanse" series. Someone on this forum recommended this sci-fi series and I am really enjoying it. However, the library doesn't have the 3rd book! I am so bummed! My library is doing a pick up service; you reserve books or DVD's online and drive up to pick them up when they email you they are available. You then call from the car and they bring your items out to you. There is also the online streaming as Lou mentioned.

I read the first two but never got around to reading the third.

I have just finished an unauthorized biography of William Shatner which is called simply "Shatner". It is by an author who has written several biographies of celebrities. It was really interesting and pulled no punches about Mr. Shatner who was (and still is at 89) a real character! I liked the book and would like to read one of Shatner's many books he wrote himself.

I just got an email from the library that the book I requested just this morning is ready for pick up! I will go in the morning and return the stack of DVD's and books I have finished.

Reactions: Val
I just got an email from the library that the book I requested just this morning is ready for pick up! I will go in the morning and return the stack of DVD's and books I have finished.

Isn't Florida in a lockdown ? I would imagine that means going out only for essentiels.

Isn't Florida in a lockdown ? I would imagine that means going out only for essentiels.
Lockdown is not the term being used. Here is the article about essential jobs:

The library itself is not open. An employee brings your items out to you as you wait in the car. I can return my items through a book drop on the outside of the building.

Lockdown is not the term being used. Here is the article about essential jobs:

The library itself is not open. An employee brings your items out to you as you wait in the car. I can return my items through a book drop on the outside of the building.

So, it's far stricter over here. We have to have a signed document plus ID when we go out for either essentiels or for a medical appointment. We are also only allowed to go for a walk/run for one hour a day within a radius of 1 km of your home. Police are stopping people and forking out hefty fines, especially if they are driving. They want people off the roads.

• Friendly
So, it's far stricter over here. We have to have a signed document plus ID when we go out for either essentiels or for a medical appointment. We are also only allowed to go for a walk/run for one hour a day within a radius of 1 km of your home. Police are stopping people and forking out hefty fines, especially if they are driving. They want people off the roads.
Yes that is very extreme compared to over here! Volusia county closed the beaches and people will be warned and then fined if they are caught on the beach.

• Friendly
Yes that is very extreme compared to over here! Volusia county closed the beaches and people will be warned and then fined if they are caught on the beach.

Yes but it's necessary to stay at home to enable to flatten the curve. The virus is very contagious.

I am down to my last library book, our libraries are also completely closed, and am trying to eke it out.

I will start reading online, as @Lou suggests, I do love a book though so much better.

Emma JC

Reactions: Val and Lou