Wfpb salad dressings

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So... I have been slowly transitioning to a WFPB vegan diet as described in Dr. Fuhrman's Eat To Live.

Eating lots of salads. So far I have just been buying oil-free salad dressings in the store. But I would like to save some money and start making my own.

I know I could just search the internet and find some. But I'm pretty new to this forum so I thought I would check out the expertise here and see if I could get some suggestions. Mostly looking for easy to make recipes.

Thanks in advance.

I sometimes will buy a sauce just to get an idea if I like it or not, isolate the flavor ingredients then try to emulate it. Of course it’s an approximation since exact measurements are not given, usually only the amount by percentage from most to least going down the ingredient list.

Replace white sugar – date syrup, coconut sugar, maple syrup etc

Replace citric acid – lemon juice and lemon peel (or most citrus fruit peel), also helps preserve

Replace oil – whole or crushed flax seeds in water*

Replace oil – seed butters like Tahini or sunflower seeds mixed with water

Replace thickeners – same as the 2 above + many soaked/cooked beans and whole grains as by themselves do not taste like much.

Replace Vinegar – apple cider vinegar or lemon juice

Good emulations of your favorite dressings can be made just by looking at the flavor agents used (spices, vegetables, fruits) and replacing the cheap fillers, oils and sugars with whole foods.

*The amount of thickness will depend on your ratio of crushed flax to water. Flax seeds are naturally very oily, you can create a viscous oily substance just by soaking flax seeds in water on a 1:1 ratio and waiting about ½ hour or so. Add more water for more fluidity. Keep in mind if you strain out the flax seeds from the oily substance (easily done), it’s no longer a whole food.

I made an Italian dressing today out of water, flax seeds (whole, uncrushed), hulled sunflower seeds, onion, garlic, various herbs, apple cider vinegar and salt.

Thanks for the thread, it’s help motivate me to find more oil alternatives as I am still an occasional Olive oil user myself (and sesame seed oil...but I don’t count that, as I only use a few drops due to it’s strong flavor).

Reactions: Lou
I've been liking tahini (mixed with a little water to make it less thick), red wine vinegar and agave nectar. I also do tahini, water, garlic powder, dill and lemon juice. Recently I've been doing tahini and a vegan bacon ranch mixed together. The dressing was recommended but hubby and I find that it's way too vinegary by itself. The tahini takes away the vinegar and makes it creamy.

I have watched youtube and read recipes for a number of different options and my most common choices are:

the sauce I use on Burrito Bowls works on many other things like salads, potatoes... hemp seeds, fresh garlic, dill, cayenne, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, bit of water...

then there is the simple natural jams mixed with balsamic vinegar

my last one was tahini, lemon juice, miso, apple cider vinegar

Basically just put together a few of the flavours that you really love and stir it or whirrrr it together.

Emma JC

I have watched youtube and read recipes for a number of different options and my most common choices are:

the sauce I use on Burrito Bowls works on many other things like salads, potatoes... hemp seeds, fresh garlic, dill, cayenne, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, bit of water...

then there is the simple natural jams mixed with balsamic vinegar

my last one was tahini, lemon juice, miso, apple cider vinegar

Basically just put together a few of the flavours that you really love and stir it or whirrrr it together.

Emma JC

Can you suggest some measurements? They sound simple enough that I would like to make them

Wow. You guys are great. Hope that there are some more good recipes out there. Meanwhile, I found this one that I would like to share.

2-Minute Oil-Free Balsamic Dressing

Prep time 2 minutes
Makes 2 tablespoons

Instructions

Combine all ingredients with 2 teaspoons water in a jar or Tupperware container. Close lid, and shake for a few seconds to mix well.
Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • ¼ teaspoon dried basil (or other dried herbs)
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Reactions: Mark Mywordz
I'm thinking of making a little book on these. Maybe in the ePub format.
I bet i can figure out a way to share it with everybody.

Can you suggest some measurements? They sound simple enough that I would like to make them

I see you have found recipes and that's great - the measurements really depend on the number of people it is serving and whether you prefer leftovers or not. I don't really measure, I did at first and now I just add ingredients to taste.

Often I will get an idea of what I wish to make (dressings or mains) and then google it and pick ingredients from about 5 or 6 different recipes and make it my own (depending on what is in the cupboard/fridge).

There are a ton of YouTube videos out there also that show you how. High Carb Hannah has some very simple dressing videos as does Maddie Lymburner, Cooking with Plants and even Jane Esselstyn.

Tonight we are having some fresh Ontario asparagus and so I looked up a few oil free recipes and decided I will roast them briefly in a glass dish with lemon, agave, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, pepper and a touch of salt. My mouth is watering.... :)

Enjoy!

Emma JC