Welcome to autumn!

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Okay, so it's not autumn just yet. We've still got three weeks to go until it's officially autumn. But I really don't like summer, and it just seems to drag on and on and on, so when I was in the drugstore on Saturday, I was happy to see that they've got some new seasonal items in specifically for autumn/harvest/Halloween. And there will be more in the weeks to come. I remember 2 or 3 years ago, summer just seemed to last forever, and I was headed to work in a part of the county that routinely experiences temperatures at least 20 degrees hotter than where I live, so I didn't get to enjoy the cooler temperatures at home very much. I was pleasantly surprised when I drove past a parking lot that was being prepped for an upcoming pumpkin festival. There were bales of hay with some pumpkins on them. It was early October, and I thought: Finally! It really must be fall!

While I don't experience autumn exactly the same way and in the same time frame that those in cooler climates do, there are a lot of things about the season I really like.

Pumpkins
Pumpkin pie
Pumpkin bread
Jack 'o Lanterns
Seeds scooped out of the pumpkins during the process of making the Jack 'o Lanterns, washed, spread on a cookie sheet, salted, and roasted in the oven. Yum.
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Cooler weather
That special delicious tang in the air
The beautiful changing colors of the season
Apple season! I can't wait for apples to be at the peak of their season so they'll actually taste good. I bought two apples a couple weeks ago since apples are my favorite fruit and I just couldn't wait. They were terrible. Serves me right for not waiting.
Apple pie
Election Day, if only because all that campaigning is finally OVER.
The World Series
"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"
Cranberry everything
New episodes of some of my favorite returning TV shows.
The days are getting shorter, and Daylight Saving Time ends. For some reason, autumn sunsets are nothing short of spectacular.
Fall fashions. I just like 'em.

Reactions: Mikkel and ledboots
In addition to the above, I love autumn foliage, with all the vibrant colors
That swishy, crunchy sound the fallen leaves make when you shuffle through them
Temperatures in the morning being cool enough to wear layers, but not needing to be super bundled up and having all my bare skin covered
The autumn harvest, and all the great veggies that come with it, like squash and root veggies
Bonfires
Hot beverages, like cider and seasonal teas

Reactions: Amy SF
Thundered last night and I slept like a rock. This morning it's overcast, slightly chilly, sprinkles here and there but not really rainy. I find it incredibly relaxing. Not much of a summer person either.

Great list, Amy. I love the crisp air and the beautiful colors of the foliage. Fall is my favorite time of year, especially for hiking.

Reactions: Mikkel and Amy SF
Thundered last night and I slept like a rock. This morning it's overcast, slightly chilly, sprinkles here and there but not really rainy. I find it incredibly relaxing. Not much of a summer person either.
After big electrical storms, the negative ions are relaxing. The world seems to have more oxygen. :)

I live in the "lightning capital of the US", and my favorite time to go for a run/walk/bike is right after a big lightning storm. :)

Ions Can Do Strange Things to You

I love all of your guys autumn lists. I like that the evenings here get a little cooler. I love the autumn decorations, especially the colorful corn and haybale type. :)

I will love this thread, soon, but I'm not quite ready yet, to give up on summer. It's been a pretty good one, weather-wise. We have had only four days, total, of the temps hitting 90 degrees. Otherwise, it has been in the upper 70's/80's the whole season. Pretty sweet.

I will say, :welcome: September!!!

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
The smells, the sights and sounds- overload. Wood fires crackling and filling the air, fallen leaves when stirred, hot apple cider and pies. Hay rides and apple/pumpkin picking. Not too hot and not too cold. Cute hats, socks and sweaters. Hoodie weather. Yard work without sweating your face off. Fall has always been my very favorite. Comforting. Time to pull out and freshen up your favorite woobie to curl up and read a book or watch some TV.

Multiple-coloured trees, crispy clear air, nights getting dark again and seeing the night sky with stars, planets, the moon, shooting stars, maybe satellites. Street lights at night. Migrating birds congregating before their journey, feasting on berry bushes and trees, and then flying south in giant plow formations. Children and students going back to schools and universities to tackle new challenges and piles of homework.

Depending on where you live, you might experience an Indian Summer as well :)

Depending on where you live, you might experience an Indian Summer as well :)

Yep. You'd think it wouldn't be noticeable here in Southern California, but we do have it. The weather gets a little cooler and more comfy in October, and it's nice. I get used to wearing an extra layer of clothing, albeit a light layer, and I ditch my sandals for socks and shoes again. Then suddenly, in early to mid November, we get a brief period of warmer weather again, although I recall it came earlier one year, at Halloween. I remember Election Day, November 2008, walking to my polling station to vote, and grumbling because I was sweating from the warm weather, having gotten used to the cooler weather that preceded it. Usually by Thanksgiving the weather has gotten seasonably cool again.

Ok...kids are back to school. I know this because damned school buses have made me almost late to work every day, so far. Ha!

So I'm ready! Bring on Autumn! :starshower:
*pretending the stars are colored leaves*