Vitamin d

pr28893

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
  2. Vegetarian
Hi

I am really enjoying the transition to being a vegan. Not quite there but nearly.

I recently had some blood tests and my vitamin d level is really low which was surprising as I have been taking Veg1 supplements since last summer when I started out changing my diet. The calcium level was a little low but that could be linked the the low d level. I will need to take high dose d supplements for a month or so.

Any advice on building up and maintaining my vitamin d levels? Maybe some high vitamin d recipes?

Thanks

Peter

Hey!

Where are you based?

I supplement Vitamin D during cold weather, It's said that most people should regardless of diet during winter.

You can find calcium in almost everything, what have you been eating?

If you're based in the UK I can recommend a Vitamin D supplement.

Hi

I am in the UK. I was surprised to have a low D reading as the Veg1 suppliment I have been taking since last summer has 10lot ug of D3. As it happens, the Vegan Society, who produce Veg1 has doubled the D3 dose to 20ug after the government revised their guidelines. I have a pretty varied diet but not so keen on soya yogurts and drinks, Maybe I should change that.

It's the UK in March so it's been months since you saw much sun, your levels might come out better if you checked in August.

I suggest you change to a different supplement from a different company incase it's bad. The chances are it's not, but worth doing just to eliminate that possibility.

Doubling the dose to meet latest guidelines seems like a good idea.

I never tested for vitamin D because the first three places I asked for the test didn't do it, and so I gave up. In any case I get a lot more sun since I lived the UK so I doubt it's an issue.

From what I understand, most people are low in Vitamin D and should supplement. When mine was tested a few years ago it was VERY low, doc was concerned, so put me on 5,000 units daily (gelcap). Once I got the level up to an acceptable level I started getting lazy and not taking them regularly and it dropped again. Now I take 4000 or 5000 gelcaps every day to keep it in range.
Sue

Hi

I am in the UK. I was surprised to have a low D reading as the Veg1 suppliment I have been taking since last summer has 10lot ug of D3. As it happens, the Vegan Society, who produce Veg1 has doubled the D3 dose to 20ug after the government revised their guidelines. I have a pretty varied diet but not so keen on soya yogurts and drinks, Maybe I should change that.

Oh, didn't realise they raised the amount of vitamin D. If you're just looking for Vitamin D I'd recommend this.
Leafy greens seem to be high in calcium, kale seems to have a lot... Maybe you should add it to some of your meals?

Thanks for the comments. I have been prescribed 40.000 IU tablets taken weekly for 7 weeks then will be checked again. I imagine that once I am back to normal the new VEG1 tablets that I recently bought that of th 20ug dose of vitamin d will get me back on track. Travelling a lot doesn't help with getting a balanced diet but I have found some amazing vegan and vegetarian restaurants across Europe. I have a trip to Japan coming up so just doing the research there for eating out.