Accidental Overdose of Vitamin D

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Accidentally took around 22000 IU of Vitamin D a day for 13 days

I was taking 5000 IU a day of Vitamin D by taking five 1000 IU every day. I wanted to take around 5000 IU a day to get my Vitamin D levels up as I haven't been taking any for at least 3 months and my Vitamin D levels seem to go down pretty fast. There were 60 of these in the jar, so I had taken them for 12 days.

When these ran out, I started taking some other Vitamin D supplements that I ordered online. However, when they arrived, I forgot about the fact that they are 5000 IU supplements rather than 1000IU, and so I was taking 5 of them a day. Because I forgot to take them a few days, this means on average I was taking around 22,000 units a day for 13 days (I realized after the 13th day).

I have stopped taking them now because of this. By chance, I had a blood test done a few days ago with Vitamin D included so will get my results soon and will see how high my levels are. But is it possible I've caused a serious problem like calciphylaxis? I understand that can happen if you consume way too much Vitamin D.

Last edited: