Vitamin b12 - vegan cereals

BecFox

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
hi folks,

hope everyone is ok, and having a good day?

cereals - looking for vitamin b12 bran flakes seem to contain a good amount but although the ingredients are look vegan friendly it does not state it on several brands of boxes?

I am sure this has been asked before but i wanted an up to date info / input on this please?

much appreciated :)
B xxx

Reese's puffs and fruity pebbles are accidently vegan. You can check out the peta website and it has a bunch of accidently vegan cereals. The boxes don't say that they are vegan but they are.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Reese's puffs and fruity pebbles are accidently vegan. You can check out the peta website and it has a bunch of accidently vegan cereals. The boxes don't say that they are vegan but they are.
thankyou Amberfunk - i live in the UK and from what i can see these products aren't in the UK unless i am mistaken...

Vitamin B12 is an important nutrient that performs numerous functions in the body
i know which is why i am asking - i am getting plenty of my other nutrients but just struggling with b12.

MALT-O-MEAL High Fiber Bran Flakes is highest, with 28 micrograms of B12 per serving.

Here and here are lists of cereal from most B12 to least.

As Amber said, the box will not say 'Vegan'. In the US, at the end of the list of ingredients, the boxes do have allergen information, so they will say something like, "contains soy and wheat" or "contains soy, wheat, milk and eggs", which is useful. For a cereal, if I don't see honey on the ingredients list, and the only allergen warning is "contains soy and wheat" for example, then I'm good.

The best way to get B12 is through injections and the next best way is to let it dissolve under your tongue. It absorbs a lot better that way than it does when you eat it. That's why I let a sublingual B12 nugget that has 1000 micrograms of B12 dissolve under my tongue every day. You can also buy sprays that are meant to be sprayed under your tongue.

If you want the B12 to be in your food, you can make any food a B12 fortified food by sprinkling B12 powder on it and mixing it in. But you will not absorb as much as you will by taking it sublingually. I guess you could just use more of the powder to compensate for that. Any fortified food that you buy, such as cereal, most nutritional yeasts or Marmite, just have this powder added at the factory.

Last edited:
I take a B12 supplement, cereals would not have it in natural form anyway.

Recently did a finger blood test and it was low, also vit D was low so started to supplement both. I'll retest in six months and see where I'm at.

I used this company for the test, did the Baseline myself https://www.forthwithlife.co.uk/baseline/

hi folks,

hope everyone is ok, and having a good day?

cereals - looking for vitamin b12 bran flakes seem to contain a good amount but although the ingredients are look vegan friendly it does not state it on several brands of boxes?

I am sure this has been asked before but i wanted an up to date info / input on this please?

much appreciated :)
B xxx
Eat daily maize flour (corn flour). It has many B vitamins that keep hemoglobin at a normal level. I am vegan from 12 years and I don't use vitamin B12 supplements.

Just take a supplement. Rainbow Light makes excellent vegan multi-vitamins which you can take once or twice a week, so they pay for themselves. A container of 30 can last two to four months if you don't take them every day (because why would you take them every day some people do but all it causes is for you to pee bright yellow).

If you don't like multis or just want B12, any sublingual will do. I don't know about the UK, but in the US Kroger brand (an "off" grocery brand) that is sold at Kroger on the East coast and at Ralph's on the West coast is completely vegan, it's even colored with beet juice and very affordable dissolvable B12.

You have B-12 supplemented Cheerios in the UK. They're whole grain, lower sugar, vegan-friendly and sold at Tesco.