South Walmart and eating out in North Carolina

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I live in England but will be visiting family in NC in a few months.
Can anyone tell me some basic bits to buy from Walmart when I get there so I can cook some vegan meals for myself. Eg...what bread and bakery items are suitable? I'm assuming dry pasta is fine and I can check the ingredients on pasta sauces. What about crisps (or chips as I think you guys call them) and dip? Any dairy free chocolate or ice cream around? What are the meat substitutes like...any good brands to look out for?
Also, are there any vegan-friendly omni restaurants? Do the pizza bases at Pizza Hut / Dominos contain milk or are they ok?
Any info is greatly appreciated xxx

The Walmart where I am puts the specialty items in a refrigerated section near the produce section, and a separate section for frozen of course. Watch out, as they tend to use those areas for "health" foods, which can also include organic or gluten-free. Stuff isn't exclusively vegan or vegetarian, and not everything here is labeled. Be ready to read ingredient labels.
Of course there will be "accidentally vegan" things through the store, but if you're looking for specialty foods, check in those two areas first.

I'm not sure if there is a Super Target there, but if there is, Target carries Gardein brand faux meats. I'm not sure if Walmart has those or not.

I haven't seen dairy-free ice cream in Walmart or Target, but you might be able to find that at other grocery chains.

Most stores (including Walmart) now carry soy and almond milk, usually Silk and Almond Breeze brands.

I'm personally having trouble finding vegan bread, but you might have better luck than me. :) Check the store's own bakery section.

Sometimes crisps have animal ingredients, so just check the ingredients. I believe the Thai flavored Doritos are vegan, or were last time I checked.

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
So I emailed Tripps to find out if they could give me their nutritional/allergy advice etc for their menu.

This is their response!!!

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we do not have nutritional
information available at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Check if there is a Whole Foods near where you'll be, there are quite a few in NC. If so, they have a huge selection of vegan food.

What part of NC? I was in Asheville years back and it was very veg friendly at that time. So if you are anywhere near Asheville I imagine it's even better now.