Vegan wedding-family doesn't understand

More ideas from the series River Cottage Veg : The tarte can be made with tofu and the halloumi made with Violife haloumi style cheese.

This was in the paper today

DEAR MISS MANNERS: My nephew is getting married soon. I received the wedding invitation, and it says “vegetarian or vegan with special dietary request.”​
My nephew’s family are all meat eaters; none are vegetarian or vegan. I found it odd. Usually it’s the vegetarian/vegan options that are by special request.​
Do I mention it? Is meat a special dietary request? It’s a new world, so I wasn’t sure.​
I was thinking that I would just go along with it and eat a big lunch beforehand. His grandma thought it was funny.​
GENTLE READER: Grandma would find it even funnier if you penciled in that your special dietary request was meat​
My take: No. you can't request meat from a vegan. Is that too hard to understand. It's their wedding. They are paying for it.

Also. Is it that hard to NOT eat meat for one meal. You should try it. You might like it.

This was in the paper today

DEAR MISS MANNERS: My nephew is getting married soon. I received the wedding invitation, and it says “vegetarian or vegan with special dietary request.”​
My nephew’s family are all meat eaters; none are vegetarian or vegan. I found it odd. Usually it’s the vegetarian/vegan options that are by special request.​
Do I mention it? Is meat a special dietary request? It’s a new world, so I wasn’t sure.​
I was thinking that I would just go along with it and eat a big lunch beforehand. His grandma thought it was funny.​
GENTLE READER: Grandma would find it even funnier if you penciled in that your special dietary request was meat​
My take: No. you can't request meat from a vegan. Is that too hard to understand. It's their wedding. They are paying for it.

Also. Is it that hard to NOT eat meat for one meal. You should try it. You might like it.

maybe I am reading it wrong but the term “vegetarian or vegan with special dietary request.” reads to me as vegan or vegetarian is available by special request so what is their issue?

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

maybe I am reading it wrong but the term “vegetarian or vegan with special dietary request.” reads to me as vegan or vegetarian is available by special request so what is their issue?

Emma JC
Thats not how I interpret it. I thought it was a vegan or vegetarian meal. Maybe you could special request gluten free?

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
I recognise this situation! Me and my husband got married last year. His family also didn't want to eat vegan. We choose a vegan (and alcoholfree) wedding and it was wonderfull. They left early and went to eat something else on the way home. It didn't bother me becasuse all the other guests where really impresed.
We look back at that day and are so happy!!!! And that's the most important.

Emma JC
I believe you're correct! There would be a comma after "vegetarian" if they were asking for vegan to be the special request. Saying "vegetarian or vegan" by special request is both