Onion rings - really that bloomin' onion from Outback, but vegan
Edit: just realized this is hot dog thread, but I don't want a hot dog

• Haha
Reactions: Lou
I remember the hot dogs of my childhood, because in Vienna, there is a special (and, IMO, very sensible) way to prepare hotdogs.

A large bread, e.g. a baguette or a special Austrian bakery item, called "salt stick", which is like a big baguette but sprinkled with salt crystals on the top, is put on top of a heated metal spike that hollows it out internally, then the mustard and ketchup are filled in, and finally the sausage is added. This means that you can not add as many condiments, but you can easily eat the whole thing without staining your fingers.

Looks something like this:

1710246519443.png

I also really do like the IKEA hot dogs, simply because they are the right thing for a huge chain to do, offer the vegan options cheaper than the dead animal ones, and they are nice, tasty and inexpensive.

This is one example from a recent trip there…

The two on the left are the new "plant based" ones that taste like animal products, the one on the right is the older "veggie" one that is very clearly identifiable as veggie hot dog (and sold at a cheaper price)

IMG_2257.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember the hot dogs of my childhood, because in Vienna, there is a special (and, IMO, very sensible) way to prepare hotdogs.

A large bread, e.g. a baguette ...
Twenty years ago, before I was vegan, I used to stop at House of Bagles on the way to work and get a bagel dog. It was something I could eat in the car one handed. You could dip it in mustard but that made it less driving friendly. Anyway, I really liked them.

Reactions: PTree15
**Vegan Hot Dogs**

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 20 mins

Marinating Time: 8 hrs

Total Time: 8 hrs 30 mins

Serves 8

These vegan carrot hot dogs are such a fun, meat-free grilling recipe! Smoky and savory, they're perfect for summer cookouts and BBQs.

**Ingredients**

8 medium hot dog-sized carrots, 1½ pounds

¼ cup apple cider vinegar

¼ cup tamari

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Water, as needed

Avocado oil, for drizzling

Hot dog buns, for serving

Homemade relish, for serving

Desired fixings

**Instructions**

Peel the carrots and trim them to the size of your hot dog buns.

Place the carrots in a steamer basket and set over a pot filled with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a simmer, cover, and steam for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the carrots are fork-tender but still a little firm in the middle.

Meanwhile, make the marinade. In a shallow container or baking dish, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, tamari, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Add the steamed carrots and enough water to fully submerge the carrots in the marinade. Let cool to room temperature, then transfer to the fridge to marinate overnight.

Grill the carrot hot dogs. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Remove the carrots from the marinade and pat dry. Drizzle with avocado oil and grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until well-charred, turning as grill marks form on each side.

Remove from the grill and serve in buns with homemade relish and your desired fixings.

Ooh those sound tasty! Was going to suggest carrot dogs , too. The recipe I used was by Tabitha Brown and she adds in liquid smoke and Bragg's to marinade the carrots. They are amazing when dressed up with all the usual (Vegan) fixins. With the liquid smoke there's no need to put them on the grill.