Package Exchange Vegan Exchange- need your input..

Maybe, instead of a 'took part on VB' clause, we could have a 'vouched for by another eligible member' type thing? So we're not overly tied to VB, and so we're not too exclusive? In other words, I envisage the rules as being something like this:

1) join date of before the sign-up time
2) minimum post count/established within the vv community
3) if you fail to send a box and fail to give notice/reasons, auto-blacklisted from future swaps
4) set budget, with a smaller amount for the first ever swap
5) any of the above rules can be overwritten by an eligible member on behalf of another member with good reason (e.g. More of a lurker, known from other boards, not been a member for long but highly active, and so on). Maybe set some sort of guidelines for this.

Getting ready to launch our maiden voyage! I like the guidelines suggested by AeryFairy, and the reusable bag with a treat inside idea from Swamp-Dweller. Are there any further questions/suggestions before we begin? I'd like to start next week so there will be ample time for international shipping.I was considering a $10-15 price limit. How does that sound?

Reusable bags - are we supposed to make them or buy them from somewhere?
Because I never see "cute" ones locally, so ordering them online would take a while, I would think.

Because I never see "cute" ones locally, so ordering them online would take a while, I would think.

Either would be fine. If you can make one, (I'm not that clever) go for it-that would be very cool!

Don't forget these in case anyone is feeling crafty! :)

http://www.leethal.net/zine/?p=1344

I made a few for myself. The only thing I don't like is the rough look of the cut edges. If I were more crafty (I don't sew) I would think of some way to finish off the edges to give it a neater look. Or maybe cut with pinking shears? I'm going to play around and make a few more.

Yay!! Can't wait....

Homemade ones would be great too unless they were made by me if you wanted them to last more than once. I am not crafty.... I remember in 7th grade (back in the stone age) they made all the girls take a 1/2 year course of sewing and it took me the whole time to make one little half shirt that fell apart the first time I wore it...

I have been noticing some not too bad local ones recently so already have ideas floating around.

Reactions: thefadedone

I never saw cute ones around either which is one of the reasons why I didn't participate in the last one on the other board. However, now I'm seeing them all over since the popularity in reusable bags has increased.

Homemade is awesome though and so much more personal.

I'd like to take part in a smaller scale swap first as I've never taken part in one before, but I have the same issue with reusable bags....never see nice ones & I don't really know what I'm looking for/ where to look! Could someone postpone examples? :)

I would love to take part as I never have in the past as my finances are a bit less than.... stellar....
Something smaller would be a good start.

Reactions: sallyomally
http://thegoodhuman.com/2007/11/08/where-to-find-cheap-or-free-reusable-bags/

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&sz=all&va=reusable bags

http://tipnut.com/35-reusable-grocery-bags-totes-free-patterns/

Here are a few ideas:
Something in your recipient's favorite color, or a with an image of his/her favorite animal, character, and so forth.
Something from you hometown, state,province and so forth, or in YOUR favorite color (I love the idea of something from your area).
Something to do with your person's hobbies or interests.
Something with a favorite quote,or supporting a favorite cause.

I have seen totes in local farmer's market, retail stores,bargain shops, and even our local 99 Cent Only store. They need not be expensive. so don't worry about finding something that's out of the budget-the idea is to keep costs low and have fun at the same time. We are a very easy to please bunch!:)

no clue what an exchange is???

So much fun. I'll post more instructions later, but briefly, it's a bit like a Secret Santa, or like when we drew names as school kids around Christmas.Each person who participates will be given the name and address of their match,and will keep it a secret. You will send a box of goodies or a gift of some sort to your match and we will continue to keep all a secret until a specified date when we post pics of our boxes ,reveal the VV name of our sender, and ooh and aah over our treats. Everything is kept confidential and your name and address are given through a private message to your sender. After everyone has received their matches, there will be a Q&A thread where you can log in with a secret password and quiz your match about favorite colors, likes, dislikes and so on. We will have three each year- spring, fall, and a Secret Santa for Christmas. It's a blast!

Here are a few ideas:
Something in your recipient's favorite color, or a with an image of his/her favorite animal, character, and so forth.
Something from you hometown, state,province and so forth, or in YOUR favorite color (I love the idea of something from your area).
Something to do with your person's hobbies or interests.
Something with a favorite quote,or supporting a favorite cause.
I have seen totes in local farmer's market, retail stores,bargain shops, and even our local 99 Cent Only store. They need not be expensive. so don't worry about finding something that's out of the budget-the idea is to keep costs low and have fun at the same time. We are a very easy to please bunch!:)

Good ideas! :up:

I just get so excited about sending off and then receiving a parcel!:p I usually love anything I receive.

Reactions: sallyomally