Package Exchange Vegan Exchange- need your input..

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Okay group, we will hold our very first VV fall exchange shortly. Before we begin, I would love to hear from you. What were you happy/unhappy with in the previous exchanges? Would you like to try something new and different,or are you satisfied with things as they are?

My only suggestion is this: please remember there is a person to whom you have promised to send a box. If for any reason you have a change of heart or experience circumstances beyond your control which will keep you from participating ,please notify me as soon as possible.Simply deciding to drop out without telling anyone is not cool.

Allrighty, then- talk to me!

I have always had a great time participating in previous exchanges. I love trying region items, and I have a few really cool books and gadgets I wouldn't otherwise have. I think the structure most of us are familiar with works really well.

I have never participated, but always wanted to. I would follow the exchange threads, yet I would feel too intimidated to join. I was also a bit nervous to get an exchanger who wasn't very reliable and who would back out or disappear halfway through. I realize that's probably a rare occurrence though. :ignore:
I want to join this time around though. The older system seemed to really work from what I observed. I really liked the requirements of having to have a certain number of posts and having to be a member for a specific amount of time. Although that can't really work here and probably isn't really needed either.:)

I have never participated, but always wanted to. I would follow the exchange threads, yet I would feel too intimidated to join. I was also a bit nervous to get an exchanger who wasn't very reliable and who would back out or disappear halfway through. I realize that's probably a rare occurrence though. :ignore:
I want to join this time around though. The older system seemed to really work from what I observed. I really liked the requirements of having to have a certain number of posts and having to be a member for a specific amount of time. Although that can't really work here and probably isn't really needed either.:)

Probably something that should be implemented as the board grows, but right now the joining requirements would be minuscule, I would imagine...

Yeah, I only participated once but my exchange went smoothly and I really really enjoyed it. I might be nervous about it on here though, because as people have pointed out, everybody is new so really anybody could do it, and I was edgy about the idea to begin with. I have no idea what but I would feel more comfortable with some sort of rules that exclude unknown members.

Then again, I always think, you can know someone a life time and it turns out they're a murderer or something. You never really know. Just because somebody posts lots on a message board doesn't mean they're not going to take advantage of the information given, but I guess it does stop people who are more likely to drop out or not send parcels or issues like that.

Reactions: KLS52
Maybe for the first one set some restrictions, like a minimum count of, say, 30 posts and a membership that started before the sign-up, to exclude people signing up purely for the swap who have no intention of actually swapping?

Also, maybe a lower budget for the first one than we may normally have, as a trial run to make sure nobody loses big time? And definitely a zero-tolerance policy on flakes for the next time; I understand that sometimes life chucks stuff at you, but that doesn't mean you can't send a quick message to someone to explain why your package will be late.

We will likely have to come up with some sort of guidelines. The only one I can think of at the moment (not a new rule) is that if a participant flaked out of the last exchange for no good reason, he or she should not be allowed to participate in the current one. It depends on the individual- I have had only one sender disappear and fail to send a box my way, and that particular person had posted a LOT and was very active on the boards. The second time was due to a close family member passing away, and despite that, this dear person sent a wonderful box later .
Many of us have been participating in the exchanges for years, and have lived to tell the tale. The fact that we're small may have an advantage-it will be easier to keep up with folks!
All in all, it's very rare for things to go awry and is so much fun. I shop for these things all year, and already have an idea for the next box !
:pa:

Reactions: thefadedone
Maybe for the first one set some restrictions, like a minimum count of, say, 30 posts and a membership that started before the sign-up, to exclude people signing up purely for the swap who have no intention of actually swapping?

Also, maybe a lower budget for the first one than we may normally have, as a trial run to make sure nobody loses big time? And definitely a zero-tolerance policy on flakes for the next time; I understand that sometimes life chucks stuff at you, but that doesn't mean you can't send a quick message to someone to explain why your package will be late.

Perfect. Great ideas. Thanks!

Yeah they sound like really great ideas. :)

I thik with those who are bit slow to post...erhm..like me...it could work also if they have taken part to the exchanges in past on VB and done that without any bigger problems. I know it can't be only rule in here that you have to been part in one of those since here will be also people who haven't been in VB but with this first one that could be used...after this one it's naturally that you have done it in here even if you don't have the needed messages posted. I'm forever thankful that I was given permission to take part of my first exchange since it made it me possible to take part to others before I got the needed 300 messages done. Especially at that point it was still bit stresfull to try write anything in English so I was way more active reader on board than poster.

Reactions: sallyomally
I remember really enjoying the exchanges I participated in. I think one of them was just a regular vegan goody exchange, and the other was a Holiday one. Horrible memory, but I know I was in at least 3 of them.

I thik with those who are bit slow to post...erhm..like me...it could work also if they have taken part to the exchanges in past on VB and done that without any bigger problems. I know it can't be only rule in here that you have to been part in one of those since here will be also people who haven't been in VB but with this first one that could be used...after this one it's naturally that you have done it in here even if you don't have the needed messages posted. I'm forever thankful that I was given permission to take part of my first exchange since it made it me possible to take part to others before I got the needed 300 messages done. Especially at that point it was still bit stresfull to try write anything in English so I was way more active reader on board than poster.

Hello! Glad you came over here :) I received an amazing package from you a few years back <3 still use the notebooks, and still have the beautiful card.

Maybe, instead of a 'took part on VB' clause, we could have a 'vouched for by another eligible member' type thing? So we're not overly tied to VB, and so we're not too exclusive? In other words, I envisage the rules as being something like this:

1) join date of before the sign-up time
2) minimum post count/established within the vv community
3) if you fail to send a box and fail to give notice/reasons, auto-blacklisted from future swaps
4) set budget, with a smaller amount for the first ever swap
5) any of the above rules can be overwritten by an eligible member on behalf of another member with good reason (e.g. More of a lurker, known from other boards, not been a member for long but highly active, and so on). Maybe set some sort of guidelines for this.

Maybe the first time could be a reusable bag exchange (getting local bags are great) with one "goody" thrown in? That way it would not be too expensive to purchase or send and not too disappointing if someone flakes out. Love the reusable bags I have received and always get comments from the cashiers where I shop.

Maybe the first time could be a reusable bag exchange (getting local bags are great) with one "goody" thrown in? That way it would not be too expensive to purchase or send and not too disappointing if someone flakes out. Love the reusable bags I have received and always get comments from the cashiers where I shop.

I like this idea and all the other ones mentioned as well! Even if we don't restrict this particular exchange to a reusable bag exchange only, I'm still hoping for a separate exchange in the future.

I like this idea and all the other ones mentioned as well! Even if we don't restrict this particular exchange to a reusable bag exchange only, I'm still hoping for a separate exchange in the future.

Yes. We can see this as the first launch, and by Christmas we'll be ready to have big fun!
:starshower:

I will join in, if you will have me as I love the exchanges.:) I won't be on the forum too much probably but I will keep checking these threads.:smitten:

:clap: Great idea.