vegan eggs?.......

jamie white

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
First of all, Hello all You vegan folk, I appreciate what you are trying to achieve through your movement/lifestyle choice. As a carnivore I can only apologise here for my dietary choices but I have always wondered one thing. If you bred and kept your own cruelty free chickens (and I am aware of the horrific chicken meat and egg production/trade) would you or could you consume the Eggs? assuming no possible fertilisation was available and the eggs would otherwise go to waste? Just a long passing pondering of mine, thanks in advance, Jamie :)

Personally I would not. I don't view eggs as human food or necessary in the human diet, and they would no more go to waste than the apples on my tree that don't get picked and fall to the ground and rot. Food waste is not this terrible unnatural thing. Food is wasted all the time in nature. Those eggs can provide nutrients for the ground too, and the shells can provide calcium for the hens.

There is simply no need to consume eggs. Whether you eat an egg from a rescued chicken living peacefully in your yard, or from a cheap carton of eggs from your local gas station, you are still perpetuating the idea that consuming something that belongs to an animal is ok and desirable. And as long as eggs are ok or desirable, there will be vast exploitation and cruelty in the chicken industry. Demand for "cruelty free"eggs will always be greater than supply, and compromises will be inevitable in order to obtain them. Breeding animals for a source of food is also a form of exploitation that is completely unnecessary. I can't imagine being brought into this world to be a source of food for someone else. What if I couldn't perform or provide? What if my "owner" became broke and could no longer care for me? What if I got sick? There are too many variables.

Hi Jamie, this question comes up a lot. Try doing a search for similar threads on vegan forums. The usual vegan consensus is that it is not OK to eat eggs at all, since they are belonging to the animals. However, it does seem to be more important to stop the suffering in factory farms in my eggs. Given modern day farming methods, there is more cruelty in eggs than steak (give the chickens worse living conditions and more animals involved to produce a given amount of food).

The majority of vegans, especially those that do it for ethical reasons which is the most common reason, are not going to eat those eggs. They just wouldn't be interested in doing so for one thing irrespective of any moral argument.

By the way, please why not research what goes on in the meat/egg/dairy industry yourself so you can make the best moral choices that you are comfortable with. Some people eat meat not because of a different interpretation of a moral argument, but because they don't know what's going on. My apologies if you already done the research.