Vegan Butter

Veganman

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was just curious if anyone knows how a product such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread is made, specifically what they do so that the oils used are in solid form.

Let's not digress into a discussion of how one should avoid oils altogether, as covered in other threads. I just want to know how these vegan butters are made.

I usually buy vegan spreads that don't contain palm oil. Waitrose olive oil spread tastes really good as it's not very salty. I don't think that I've
ever tasted one that I didn't like :

I usually buy vegan spreads that don't contain palm oil. Waitrose olive oil spread tastes really good as it's not very salty.

Then I will ask what they do to get the oils in those products to be in solid form.

Then I will ask what they do to get the oils in those products to be in solid form.

trying not to be sarcastic.... but.... is your google machine broken?

if you have a point to make, please make it

Emma JC

trying not to be sarcastic.... but.... is your google machine broken?

if you have a point to make, please make it

Emma JC

You may be trying but not succeeding. I'm not sure what I have done to deserve your nasty post. I checked the link to the website mentioned and didn't find anything about how the product is made. My only "point" is that I want to know how these products are made. I assume they are not hydrogenating the oils. If not, then what.

Last edited:
I tried googling it and found out some interesting stuff but not on the way they make Earth Balance Vegan Butter.

It does seem like Earth Balance (for what it is) is pretty good. In fact, I just checked my frig and I have a tub of it in my fridge right now.

I've been told that Myoko's "cultured butter" is the best. And it has no palm oil. But it is expensive.

Another product without palm oil is WayFare. I have seen it in local stores and I think this is the product I'll buy next. I think its a lot cheaper than Myoko's.

And OneGreenPlanet has a recipe for making soy and palm oil free butter at home.

Reactions: kelli and Emma JC
I tried googling it and found out some interesting stuff but not on the way they make Earth Balance Vegan Butter.

It does seem like Earth Balance (for what it is) is pretty good. In fact, I just checked my frig and I have a tub of it in my fridge right now.

I've been told that Myoko's "cultured butter" is the best. And it has no palm oil. But it is expensive.

Another product without palm oil is WayFare. I have seen it in local stores and I think this is the product I'll buy next. I think its a lot cheaper than Myoko's.

And OneGreenPlanet has a recipe for making soy and palm oil free butter at home.
Miyoko’s is amazing. Definitely the best and yes, expensive. I only use it if I want something buttered like toast/roll. I will not use it for cooking or baking. For that I use EB.

@Veganman...you can make your own very easily. As shyvas said, the lecithin acts as an emulsifier. I’ve used both soy lecithin and sunflower lecithin and had better results with the soy for some reason.

We used to have a brand of vegan margarine called Willow that has no palm oil but it’s no longer available in my area

Miyoko’s is amazing. Definitely the best and yes, expensive. I only use it if I want something buttered like toast/roll. I will not use it for cooking or baking. For that I use EB.

@Veganman...you can make your own very easily. As shyvas said, the lecithin acts as an emulsifier. I’ve used both soy lecithin and sunflower lecithin and had better results with the soy for some reason.

Does it really cost $7 for a tub ? I've never tasted it and gather that you can't detect the coconut oil ? 😉

If I compare the European counterparts to EB, I prefer them as the latter is far too salty for my liking.

Does it really cost $7 for a tub ? I've never tasted it and gather that you can't detect the coconut oil ? 😉

If I compare the European counterparts to EB, I prefer them as the latter is far too salty for my liking.
It can, depending on when/where you buy it. The least expensive I’ve found it is $5.79 on sale. But it’s a rare occurrence. I bought three last time I saw it at that price. Usually it’s $6.49.

I think the first time I purchased it, it was $7 and change. That’s when I started making it myself. Homemade is delicious but cleanup is torture between the lecithin and coconut oil. I have a couple in the freezer and with my weight issue, I rarely treat myself to “butter”. So I won’t have to make or purchase it for awhile. Unless I see a sale again. It keeps beautifully in the freezer.

It can, depending on when/where you buy it. The least expensive I’ve found it is $5.79 on sale. But it’s a rare occurrence. I bought three last time I saw it at that price. Usually it’s $6.49.

I think the first time I purchased it, it was $7 and change. That’s when I started making it myself. Homemade is delicious but cleanup is torture between the lecithin and coconut oil. I have a couple in the freezer and with my weight issue, I rarely treat myself to “butter”. So I won’t have to make or purchase it for awhile. Unless I see a sale again. It keeps beautifully in the freezer.

I'm gobsmacked by the price of non dairy spreads in the US. I can get a 250 g tub for approx 1.50 - 2 Euros.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I did get Country Crock plant based almond oil spread when a grocery store had it as a special. Very surprised- no almond taste, really good! Yes it has palm fruit oil.
Seriously though, I find vegan mayo is perfect for adding to mash potatoes, anything I'd want butter or creme

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52