Aquaholic

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I was raised vegetarian and have never eaten meat or fish. Until I went fully vegan in 2015 I would still eat from restaurants and kitchens which served meat, but after eliminating eggs, dairy, and avoiding non-vegan wine and beer, I quickly realized the contamination problem which is everywhere. For me, the purpose of being vegan is to avoid eating animal products because I’m completely turned off and disgusted by eating even small amounts of animal grease, traces, byproducts etc. It seems to me like most people are ok with eating at ‘vegan friendly’ restaurants even though it’s highly probable that the food contains traces of animal products due to shared deep fryers, burger grills, and even tools such as knives and pizza cutters. I’m curious just how many of us care about completely avoiding animal products in our food?!

I’m curious just how many of us care about completely avoiding animal products in our food?!

not me.

My heritage is Jewish and although my own family was Kosher we weren't orthodox. My general impression of "contamination" was that it was silly.

Also my veganism comes from a strong belief in animal rights.I don't avoid animal products because I don't like them. I do it for the animals. I was non vegan for two thirds of my life so its not like I never liked the taste of flesh.

If something doesn't actually protect animals it is of no consequence to me.

I've also known (IRL) a few vegans who do worry about contamination. And witnessed their fussiness as a real turn off to the carnists that are in their lives.

I like to think my lifestyle might actually tempt other peeps to become vegan - not make them think I'm a little crazy.

However what carnists think of us is not that much of a concern to me. so whatever floats your boat

Personally, I am thrilled that my own kitchen no longer has contamination in it and as I don't particularily like to eat out anyways I don't have to think about it too much. It would be more the "raw flesh" contamination that would bother me more than any actualy overlap.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I rarely eat in restaurants these days, but if I do I prefer fully vegan ones for the most part. However, that's because I live in a city that has a wide variety of choices.

There is a Thai restaurant that I occasionally order from that gladly makes my order vegan, and I watch them make it in an open kitchen style setting. I feel pretty confident ordering from there. Is it guaranteed no cross contamination? No, but I feel they respect my needs there and do everything they can to avoid such cross contamination. That's good enough for me.

I also order pizza occasionally. Yes, they use real dairy cheese for customers that want it, but the non-dairy option is stored in a separate sealed container. Their meat toppings are also stored separately from the veggie toppings. In my observation, there was no chance of the chef dropping a piece of meat topping into the veggies, as they are separated, adequately. It's unlikely any significant cross contamination would occur, but it's still possible I suppose. I can live with that, myself.

It's only in places where I can't see what they're doing that concerns me the most. I have had restaurants make mistakes, which I do find incredibly upsetting. I am very careful these days where I go out to eat. I'm not very forgiving that way. Fool me once, shame you...sort of thing.

Hi, @Aquaholic ! I wasn't raised vegetarian, but became one (because of my love for animals) when I was almost 20. I was fortunate that my family and friends understood and respected this, even though they stayed omni.

Contamination doesn't bother me. This is partly because I used to eat meat and partly because it doesn't cause any more animals to be killed. But I can see why it would bother many vegetarians and vegans.

How silly of me not to think of it! I have worked in catering all the years I have been in Sweden. Cooks don't usually chop meat up on the same boards as vegetables because vegetables can be eaten raw and they want to prevent bacteria such as salmonella from contaminating the veg.

This is an interesting idea. I don't worry about contamination for the same reason others have said--it doesn't add harm to the world.

This discussion brings to mind something I read about a religion (? not sure it is classified as a religion after what I just read in another thread about Buddhism not being considered a religion) --anyway an eastern religion called Jianism. What I remember is that an adherent tries not to eat after sundown because after dark (back before electricity, in places where fuel is scarce and after dark really is after dark) , there is a chance of a bug being on the food and you don't see it and accidentally eat and thus kill it.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
This discussion brings to mind something I read about a religion (? not sure it is classified as a religion after what I just read in another thread about Buddhism not being considered a religion) --anyway an eastern religion called Jianism. What I remember is that an adherent tries not to eat after sundown because after dark (back before electricity, in places where fuel is scarce and after dark really is after dark) , there is a chance of a bug being on the food and you don't see it and accidentally eat and thus kill it.

I wonder how a blind person would have ever practiced this religion? 🤔

I think maybe it also has to do with some bugs coming out more after dark too. It was an article about an anesthesiologist who was born in India (I think) and practices (both as a doctor and as a Jianist) somewhere local. My memory is imperfect, so I may have the details a bit mixed up.

While I would prefer uncontaminated food, I have never been concerned with traces. Whether it is a restaurant that uses the same grill or utensils for meat and vegan food, or a grocery store product that lists "may contain traces of..." on the package, traces don't count unless I can actually detect them.

"No visible chunks" is a guideline that many vegans use. I would include the senses of smell and taste in that as well. If it is not intended to contain meat and the cook made a reasonable effort to exclude meat, I am okay with it.

I, too, would prefer uncontaminated, as I don't want to consume anything from an animal whenever possible. So I just usually gauge it depending on where I am. I'm a big french fries gal. So, if I'm out with friends and they decide they want to stop at a seafood shack, I doubt I'd buy fries because there's a good chance they're cooked in the same oil as the fried seafood.

If I'm at a sit-down place, I'll ask about how the fries are prepared because I don't want my fries having flesh or fish flavor. I don't consider that making a big fuss. :) Now, when it comes to, say, a veggie burger, I'm less inclined to worry about the contamination even though I don't want the fresh flavor. Not all places can accommodate separate grills for veg*n and non-veg*n prep. I'm just mostly thrilled that there's a veggie burger on the menu.

Last edited:
I was eating a vegan Higgidy sweet potato pie but read the label which said it is prepared in a factory setting that uses milk and eggs and it put me off. I could no longer enjoy the pie.

I was eating a vegan Higgidy sweet potato pie but read the label which said it is prepared in a factory setting that uses milk and eggs and it put me off. I could no longer enjoy the pie.
Each to their own, but I couldn't live if I had to worry constantly about "may contain traces of..." before buying something.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
Each to their own, but I couldn't live if I had to worry constantly about "may contain traces of..." before buying something.
It does not always bother me but it made me think the sauce tasted of anchovies. It was chilli and garlic and ginger or something like that. The reason being i liked worcester sauce on chips until i looked at the ingredients and found out it had anchovies in it.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
It does not always bother me but it made me think the sauce tasted of anchovies. It was chilli and garlic and ginger or something like that. The reason being i liked worcester sauce on chips until i looked at the ingredients and found out it had anchovies in it.
My goodness, I didn't know that. We have a bottle of it in the cupboard - I won't be buying that in future!

• Sad
Reactions: Clairey
My goodness, I didn't know that. We have a bottle of it in the cupboard - I won't be buying that in future!
Oh yeah, most worcheshires have anchovires,but there are some that aren't labeled vegan that don't. What's surprised me is how very different vegan worcheshire recipes and bottled are! I never used worcheshire before finding vegan recipes which flavors I loved ( I've always hated fish)
THe bottled ones are also really different. I now have one that was low priced from an Asian grocery I like a lot..
Like tamarind paste, brown sugar, coriander seeds, rice vinegar, some ginger, some mustard powder,soy sauce

I also avoid things fried in shared oil (taste over purity) but shared facilities don't bother me

Reactions: Brian W

Here in the U.S. they are required by federal law to state that an item is produced in a facility that produces items that have nuts, wheat, dairy products or eggs. The equipment is thoroughly washed, and sanitized, between the production runs, but because of fatal allergic reactions they have to warn people. Some people can have an extreme allergic reaction to even a small amount of peanut dust in the air.

The product probably doesn't contain any dairy or egg products, but the U.K., probably, has similar rules about warnings to people about a possible allergic reaction.

I don't think there are many food producers that exclusively produce vegan items at their facilities.