Veg1 discussion

Even a cursory web search reveals that the soil in the UK is deficient in selenium.
Like I said, I'm skeptical about this being important for people in the UK, but its not something I've researched so I'm perfectly open to the idea that selenium supplements may be a good idea for people in the UK.

"Arbitrary", really? B12 is arbitrary? D is arbitrary? Iodine is arbitrary? Selenium is arbitrary? I do think there are a couple of minerals that should have been included, but these can be purchased separately.
Yes, it seems pretty arbitrary. I didn't say that all the nutrients in veg1 were unimportant, just that some key nutrients are missing and some ones that aren't an issue for vegans are included. I have no idea what would have motivated the selection of nutrients in veg1.

Why? And if these are "excused" for their extra B vitamins, why do you have a different standard for Veg1?
Veg1 is trying to be something different, its trying to be a specially formulated supplement for vegans and I think it fails pretty bad at that.

It's so popular they had to block the page when they ran out.
Not sure I understand this, why would they block the page because the product is popular? Just a bit strange...

Folic acid is extremely important for women of childbearing age who plan to procreate. I am glad it is in the vegan supplement.
Veg1 wouldn't be suitable as a prenatal vitamin if one has decided to take such a thing. Vegans, as a group, have higher folate intake when compared to the average person. Legumes, many vegetables, etc are all rich sources of folate.

Vitamin D is not important? In northern Europe/northern US, it is difficult to derive enough from sunlight on bare skin.
Edit: And why do you care if people supplement or not? Children especially have a difficult time obtaining all their nutrients from food. Pediatricians advise supplementation.
How difficult it is depends on your location and ethnicity, vitamin D supplementation should be done on a case-by-case basis ideally based on demonstrated need (e.g., blood work). As far as supplementation, I think its better that people focus on having a healthful diet but I haven't been objecting to supplementation, at least in general, in this thread.

Children only have a difficult time obtaining all their nutrients because they are routinely fed junk. Though some babies, in particular those with dark skin, may have trouble with vitamin D and of course vegan babies should take b12 when they stop breast feeding. Some pediatricians advise supplements....many don't. Honestly.....I find it a bit depressing how poorly children are fed......all for corporate profit.

I think the Veg1 makes a lot of sense. As to the selenium, the soil in agriculture is so depleted of selenium and it is so vital for optimal health that if one can get it from another source, I think that's an excellent idea.

I have doubts though whether the quantity of their Vit D is sufficient. It seems low to me. Two doctors I spoke to also think this.

Personally, and I doubt if I'm alone in this, I do not absorb Vit D2 which is vegan. I now have to take supplements of Vit D3 which is not vegan. (Ah, if only the vegan world was perfect or if I lived in a climate where there was sun all year round!). I discovered this quite by accident. I had been taking my Veg1 supplements (which contain vegan VitD, i.e. Vit D2) every single day since I became vegan about 9 years ago and thought I was therefore covered for Vit D. Much to my surprise, a blood test revealed that I was almost completely deficient in Vit D, which meant that I was also deficient in calcium (as calcium needs Vit D to fix itself). Other levels of some trace elements or vitamins were also low, ALL DUE TO A LACK OF VIT D!!

But Vit D3 (the non-vegan one unfortunately) did the trick and my levels went back quickly.

So I did some research and indeed Vit D2 is not absorbed by some people. So I would advise everyone to check their Vit D levels next time they have a blood check.

Just to give some extra info here. I had had for months all sorts of weird health problems which no-one could figure out (including a year-long chronic shoulder pain which NOTHING helped go away). All the health problems disappeared like a flash once my VitD levels were back to normal, and after a few weeks, my shoulder was completely healed. (Again, after research, the shoulder pain, although not originally caused by a lack of Vit D, could not heal because of the deficiency).

Last edited:
as they taste of orange or blackcurrant it always feels as though there should be some vit C in there.

Thanks for that ledboots. I'll definitely research this but it doesn't look like a scam.

I just don't want to have all those health problems again if I switch so I'm going to give this some thought. Naturally, the more I can be a vegan, the better I feel so I'll definitely keep an open mind here.