Spirulina

CaraT2974

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Spirulina supplements? I have recently had a vitamin/mineral test and I’m deficient in vit B2, Calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium & Iodine. When talking to the guy that conducted the test he said he wasn’t a fan of a multivitamin and instead recommended a digestive enzyme, moringa/spirulina and cordycept. I’ve changed my diet this week and have been eating much more fruit/vegetables however, I’m not surprised that I’m low in lots of vitamins as my diet is normally poor.

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt
What’s everyone’s thoughts on Spirulina supplements? I have recently had a vitamin/mineral test and I’m deficient in vit B2, Calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium & Iodine. When talking to the guy that conducted the test he said he wasn’t a fan of a multivitamin and instead recommended a digestive enzyme, moringa/spirulina and cordycept. I’ve changed my diet this week and have been eating much more fruit/vegetables however, I’m not surprised that I’m low in lots of vitamins as my diet is normally poor.
Eat better.

• Wow
Reactions: silva
My best advice is to look into Dr Greger
All his research is evidence based science, and he provides the footnotes--all is not as a non profit
He has formulated the daily dozen way of eating which will provide a full days nutrition--12 food groups and the serving sizes to eat in a day.
There is so much that determines what our bodies use of what we eat, and it all begins with the proper gut biome. Your biome will change with your diets change, and why many intially have digestive issues during that transition
Highly recommend How Not to Die, as well as his How Not to Diet

Please don't get hung up on these titles feeling this is another 'super food' trendy thing. It is not. It's basic whole food eating that is proven to give the best of health. It isn't a "diet", per say. The closer you maintain your eating to whole plant foods, the better you will feel

The only supplements recommended are B12, D, and an algae DHA

Have you spoken about following a plant based diet with your physician? Keep in mind most doctors have very very little knowledge of nutrition

OK. feeling guilty about my curt answer.
I’m deficient in vit B2, Calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium & Iodine.
I'm wondering if you meant b12 not B2.
but yeah, those are the biggies for most vegans.

You won't be getting much Calcium or Magnesium from a multi. those are very bulky and require big tablets.

I don't see how a digestive enzyme would really help. And the same for Spirulina.

You could get a calcium and magnesium supplement. and a good multi.

But the best bet is to eat better. @silva recommended Nutrition Facts and I agree. You might also get the Daily Dozen app or chart (which could go on the Frig's door.)

The app CronOmeter could also help.

Reactions: Emma JC
I don't know about Spirulina specifically however I do eat a really good berry greens powder (I add it to my oatmeal) and I do eat lots of veggies and fruits and this just helps me to know that I am adding in goodness and all the minerals and vitamins I might need. It does have spirulina in it Schinoussa Sea Vegetables Berries is the one I use. It is also good mixed with water or juice. I also have a small amount of wakame in the my food about once a week or so.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com