Veg1 discussion

flyingsnail

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Since you're in England, I would really recommend Veg1 which is a "small" multivitamin that contains only the vitamins and minerals that vegans tend to not get enough of in our diet. It's available from the Vegan Society's web shop:
VEG1 Blackcurrant 90's | The Vegan Society
This is, I think, a really odd formulation for vegans. Folic acid, B6 and selenium are all easy to get from plants and b2 isn't too difficult either.....while getting adequate zinc and calcium involves some good planning. Including iron would make more sense than folic acid, b6 and selenium.

This is, I think, a really odd formulation for vegans. Folic acid, B6 and selenium are all easy to get from plants and b2 isn't too difficult either.....while getting adequate zinc and calcium involves some good planning. Including iron would make more sense than folic acid, b6 and selenium.
I think calcium can interfere with absorption of other minerals/vitamins, so there may be good reason to leave that out of a multi-vitamin. I sort of agree with you regarding the other B vitamins, and zink.

From an article by Stephen Walsh, the "father" of Veg1:
Three other B vitamins help to keep homocysteine low: folic acid, B2 (riboflavin) and B6 (pyridoxine). While most vegans get plenty of these from their diet, the EU recommended daily allowances (RDAs) are included to ensure that there is no possible weak link.
Soil levels of iodine and selenium are low in the UK and much of Europe, and the amounts in plants reflect the amounts in the soil.

In North America iodised salt is used while in most of Europe, including the UK and Ireland, most people get their iodine from dairy products without even realising it has been deliberately added via the cattle feed. Vegans, however, avoid the hidden supplement along with the saturated fat.

Selenium intakes in all sections of the UK population tend to be lower than ideal.

Natural plant foods such as kelp and Brazil nuts can boost intakes of iodine and selenium respectively, though an ideal but not excessive level may be hard to achieve as the amounts contained can vary significantly.
Full article here (PDF):
http://www.prijatelji-zivotinja.hr/data/file_5035.pdf

If there is a better multi-vitamin made specifically for vegans, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Last edited:
From an article by Stephen Walsh, the "father" of Veg1:
I don't think his comments make much sense. All the vitamins/minerals have RDAs and and low intake has consequences in all cases....so why not just take a multi-vitamin in this case? One would think a vegan supplement would include the nutrients vegans tend to have more difficulty sourcing.....which would be zinc, b12,calcium and to a lesser degree iron,b2 and iodine. But I'm not aware of such a supplement.

I would imagine nutrient intakes of a variety of nutrients is lower than ideal in the UK, and throughout the western world, which is due to poor overall diets. Do people with well-balanced diets have trouble getting sufficient selenium in the UK?

Last edited:
I don't think his comments make much sense. All the vitamins/minerals have RDAs and and low intake has consequences in all cases....so why not just take a multi-vitamin in this case? One would think a vegan supplement would include the nutrients vegans tend to have more difficulty sourcing.....which would be zinc, b12,calcium and to a lesser degree iron,b2 and iodine. But I'm not aware of such a supplement.
Well, Veg1 is a multi-vitamin, of sorts. Calcium can interfere with absorption of other vitamins/minerals, so not a good idea to include it in a multi-vitamin.

I would imagine nutrient intakes of a variety of nutrients is lower than ideal in the UK, and throughout the western world, which is due to poor overall diets. Do people with well-balanced diets have trouble getting sufficient selenium in the UK?
Yes, or at least that is Walsh's assertion. The target group isn't people with well-balanced diets, though, it's the average (vegan) person.

Well, Veg1 is a multi-vitamin, of sorts. Calcium can interfere with absorption of other vitamins/minerals, so not a good idea to include it in a multi-vitamin.
My point was that if we follow his logic then one should just be taking a standard multivitamin.....which I imagine is going to be a lot cheaper. I don't think a low dose of calcium, say 200~300 mg, would interfere much with other nutrients and that is probably all vegans need in a supplement.

The target group isn't people with well-balanced diets, though, it's the average (vegan) person.
Right but the average vegan person is far more likely to have issues with marginal zinc, iron and calcium intake than the nutrients in his supplement (excluding b12 of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
Right but the average vegan person is far more likely to have issues with marginal zinc, iron and calcium intake than the nutrients in his supplement (excluding b12 of course).
I wonder if maybe the target group isn't the average vegan after all. Instead, I think the target group is all vegans in the UK. It's a one-size-fits-all for UK vegans, including small children and others who are not able to swallow whole pills, which is why Veg1 is chewable, and has a pleasant, sweet taste. I wonder (speculate, really) if that is another reason why some minerals are left out. (I.e. taste and chewability reasons.) Also, small children are incredibly picky eaters, and might miss out e.g. on some of the B vitamins, which could be why they've been included in Veg1. Whereas vitamin D, selenium and iodine all make sense for people in the UK.

I wonder (speculate, really) if that is another reason why some minerals are left out. (I.e. taste and chewability reasons.) Also, small children are incredibly picky eaters, and might miss out e.g. on some of the B vitamins, which could be why they've been included in Veg1. Whereas vitamin D, selenium and iodine all make sense for people in the UK.
There are a lot of pleasant tasting gummy and chewable multi-vitamins so I don't think there is any issue with including the mentioned vitamins and minerals. In terms of small children, the values are too high for small children.

I'm skeptical that selenium supplements would be important for UK vegans, but even if we assume that this should be included there are nutrients, more important ones, that are missing from their vegan supplement and others that aren't problematic for vegans (e.g,, folic acid) that are included. Other just trying to make money on an overpriced supplement, I truly wonder what they based their supplement on.

Another strange thing, the information about the product seems to have vanished on the vegan society website. I'm getting an "Access denied" message when I click on the original link and another says "Out of Stock". I suppose that is a good thing!

Last edited:
In terms of small children, the values are too high for small children.
That is why it says to break the tablet in two, to give them half the dosage. Veg1 is appropriate for ages 2 and upwards.

I'm skeptical that selenium supplements would be important for UK vegans,
Not sure about vegans in particular, but a cursory google search indicates marginal selenium intakes are common in the UK.
Marginal Dietary Selenium Intakes in the UK: Are There Functional Consequences?

but even if we assume that this should be included there are nutrients, more important ones, that are missing from their vegan supplement and others that aren't problematic for vegans (e.g,, folic acid) that are included.
I think now you're going in circles.

I will add that the "unnecessary" other B vitamins and folic acid are common in vegan/vegetarian multivitamins.
VegLife Vegan Kids™ Multiple Berry -- 60 Chewables - Vitacost
Hero Nutritionals Yummi Bears Multi-Vitamin and Mineral Vegetarian Sour Natural Fruit -- 90 Gummy Bears - Vitacost
Holland & Barrett Vegan Multivitamin Tablets | Holland & Barrett - the UK's Leading Health Retailer

Another strange thing, the information about the product seems to have vanished on the vegan society website. I'm getting an "Access denied" message when I click on the original link and another says "Out of Stock". I suppose that is a good thing!
That's because it's out of stock. We had ordered some recently, and it took ages to arrive. I suppose it must be quite popular.

Not sure about vegans in particular, but a cursory google search indicates marginal selenium intakes are common in the UK.
You're going to find marginal intake of a number of nutrients in the general population, the important question is whether UK vegans are having greater trouble meeting their selenium needs. VEG1 is marketed as some sort of specially formulated supplement for vegans....yet the selection of nutrients seems arbitrary. There are plenty of vegan multivitamins on the market.......why should a vegan should take VEG1 instead? Given the selection of nutrients in VEG1 I think a vegan would be much better off taking a simple multi-vitamin if they were interested in such a thing. I am truly baffled by the selection of nutrients in VEG1....its not consistent with any nutritional papers on vegetarian/vegan diets.

These are all mutli-vitamins, so naturally contain b vitamins, and make no claim to be some sort of specially formulated supplement for vegans (other than, of course, being vegan).

That's because it's out of stock. We had ordered some recently, and it took ages to arrive. I suppose it must be quite popular.
Yes....but the information page now gives an "Access denied" message. I hope its not popular!

If you were designing a vitamin and mineral pill for vegans, what would you put in it, FS?
I mentioned this somewhere earlier but, based on the nutrients vegans may actually have some issue sourcing, a supplement for vegans should include zinc, iron, calcium, b12 and perhaps B2 and iodine as well. Of course.....I would prefer people to just eat a healthful diet and avoid supplements besides B12 for vegans.

I mentioned this somewhere earlier but, based on the nutrients vegans may actually have some issue sourcing, a supplement for vegans should include zinc, iron, calcium, b12 and perhaps B2 and iodine as well. Of course.....I would prefer people to just eat a healthful diet and avoid supplements besides B12 for vegans.
No vitamin D?

Also: Doctors Urge FDA to Ban Multivitamins Containing Iron or Copper | Physicians Committee

And: "You do not need to worry about iron if you are otherwise healthy and eat a varied vegetarian or vegan diet."
Iron (veganhealth.org)

Last edited:
You're going to find marginal intake of a number of nutrients in the general population, the important question is whether UK vegans are having greater trouble meeting their selenium needs.
Even a cursory web search reveals that the soil in the UK is deficient in selenium.
VEG1 is marketed as some sort of specially formulated supplement for vegans....yet the selection of nutrients seems arbitrary.
"Arbitrary", really? B12 is arbitrary? D is arbitrary? Iodine is arbitrary? Selenium is arbitrary? I do think there are a couple of minerals that should have been included, but these can be purchased separately.
I am truly baffled by the selection of nutrients in VEG1....its not consistent with any nutritional papers on vegetarian/vegan diets.
Such as?
These are all mutli-vitamins, so naturally contain b vitamins,
Why? And if these are "excused" for their extra B vitamins, why do you have a different standard for Veg1?
and make no claim to be some sort of specially formulated supplement for vegans (other than, of course, being vegan).
I think it's fair to say a supplement named "Vegan Kids Multiple" is made specifically for vegan kids. The same with "Vegan multivitamin & mineral" - the name suggests this is not for the average person, but made specifically for vegans.
Yes....but the information page now gives an "Access denied" message. I hope its not popular!
It's so popular they had to block the page when they ran out.

Vitamin D is not important? In northern Europe/northern US, it is difficult to derive enough from sunlight on bare skin.

Edit: And why do you care if people supplement or not? Children especially have a difficult time obtaining all their nutrients from food. Pediatricians advise supplementation.

No vitamin D?
Maybe but the need for a vitamin D supplement depends on your location and ethnicity so it is perhaps best dealt with separately.

And: "You do not need to worry about iron if you are otherwise healthy and eat a varied vegetarian or vegan diet."
Iron (veganhealth.org)
If you eat a well-balanced and healthful vegan diet you don't need to worry about iron, you could say the same for all nutrients except b12, but iron is one of the nutrients vegans have more trouble with than others because plant-based iron is poorly absorbed compared to iron in meat. But iron is going to be more off an issue for vegan women than men.