Today i started the transition to vegan... what should i expect?

MoonlitSonata

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I finished up my first vegan meal a couple hours ago. I am finding I am a little shaky. This prompted me to get some advice on what to expect during the transitional period from an typical american diet to a whole foods plant based vegan diet.
What can I expect (ie symptoms)?
What are some tips to avoid common pit falls?

I too have started the transition today from the western diet to Vegan. I feel "shaky" also, but I attribute mine to low sugar level or possible due to my insulin resistance. I know I haven't eaten as much as I should, and I'm concerned this may be my down fall if I don't prepare better and find foods I enjoy.

I've been on a healthy vegan diet now for 3 weeks. I've had no problems so far, and my diet is mostly veggies then nuts, seeds, and lastly fruits. Just make sure your getting plenty of nutrients.

Having been vegetarian for many years, my transition has been easier than most, I imagine. At least half of what I ate as a vegetarian is OK for the vegan me to eat too. But I find myself making mistakes occasionally especially when it comes to desserts. I will never eat an egg or another piece of cheese again because I can see that they are clearly in the list of forbidden foods. However I am enjoying eating vegan yoghurt and fresh fruit and the difference between those things and other desserts which look very similar but which do contain animal products is not so great that I automatically feel repelled by them. A cake can be made with eggs but you can make virtually the same cake and replace the eggs with apple sauce, for example. You can't tell by looking at them that there is any difference. There may even be very little difference in taste. Remaining constantly vigilant about these things is difficult.

It's great you guys are making the transition, and especially so that it's clearly not a walk in the park. For me I can say the process has been relatively problem free, in that I'm doing it piecemeal with the guidance of my podcast partner and nutritionist. And that I was never a foodie to begin with is making everything that much more streamlined. (Though I am picky and have a basic \ gutter palate so I'm not necessarily saying it's been a walk in the park either!)

Either way I would say don't let anyone bring you down, arm yourself with the best knowledge out there, and be patient in trying to help others understand why you're doing what you're doing. Going V only isn't just about changing your eating habits, but your lifestyle as well as outlook. But it can be such a positive process with the right energy, and even if you're walking this road alone, understand you're never alone in this.