TV & Film The TV Room

I watched Metal Lords on Netflix. Netflix has been promoting it, it looked cute and I was in the mood for some semi-mindless entertainment.

I'm not a fan of metal and I usually don't care for high school based rom-coms, but I watched the Netflix mini preview all the the way thru and was intrigued.

It turns out the screen writer is a bonafide metal head so I'm assuming the metal background info speckled throughout the film was legit. plot, acting, and music were all pretty good. I especially liked the female actress/character who plays cello.

And by the end I actually enjoyed their cover of Black Sabath's War Pigs

I loved this scene.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
The mini-series "The Dropout" concluded and it was really good. Elizabeth Holmes is still awaiting sentencing after being convicted of multiple counts. I remember hearing about this back when it all came out in 2017 but didn't follow it that closely. The series which was based on a book was informative and the actors were great. It is just amazing that this girl pulled this fraud off for so many years! Her investors lost billions and people suffered from her actions.

Am now watching the 27-episodes Netflix series « Dark ».

Very interesting, seems this was the first major German Netflix production, kind of a German « Stranger Things », with kids going missing, but not captured by aliens, but rather involved in time travel mishaps caused by an accident in an Atomic power plant.

Very good, and supposedly very well thought through, so that all 27 episodes form the whole story arc that spans multiple times in 33-year increments, starting in 2019, going to 1986, 1953, 1920, 2052 and even 1888…

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Just watched The Last Pig on PBS. Definitely a documentary I suggest for everyone to see, about a man who wanted to raise pigs in a humane way and came to understand humane and killing are opposites
I would think documentaries of this kind would hit a spot that can't be dismissed like so many shock docs seem to have

I think I'm going to get rid of Netflix next month. I've been trying to watch a few things before then.

I saw the film The Weekend Away last night. I read it didn't have great reviews but I really enjoyed it. Two friends go away for a weekend and when one of them wakes up the next morning the other woman is missing. There were lots of twists and turns.

I'll have to look it up. Some of their titles are in French so I have to google them.

Do you find that Netflix it's not worth the subscription? I share it with 3 other people so it's not too expensive. :sun:

I'll have to look it up. Some of their titles are in French so I have to google them.

Do you find that Netflix it's not worth the subscription? I share it with 3 other people so it's not too expensive. :sun:
There are a lot of good shows/films on Netflix, but I feel like I have seen a lot of them at this point. Maybe we will get it back again as we have done before, lol.

I did subscribe to Youtube Premium as I watch a lot of YT (since the lockdowns!) and the adverts drive me insane. I think I am on a free trial at the moment, but so far it seems worth the money.

We are changing from Virgin Media to Sky when we move, so I don't know what they are like in comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
There are a lot of good shows/films on Netflix, but I feel like I have seen a lot of them at this point. Maybe we will get it back again as we have done before, lol.

I did subscribe to Youtube Premium as I watch a lot of YT (since the lockdowns!) and the adverts drive me insane. I think I am on a free trial at the moment, but so far it seems worth the money.

We are changing from Virgin Media to Sky when we move, so I don't know what they are like in comparison.

The I only get Rakuten TV for free on my smart TV. I have a SKY subscription and there are quite a lot of different programmes and films. I especially like their documentaries and lifestyle channels.
I find that Netflix is very inexpensive if you can share it with others as they have quite a large selection of films & series.

On the other hand, I hardly ever go to the cinema. Last time was in California where I saw Downtown Abbey and the ticket was quite cheap because you get a senior discount over there.

We started watching Queen of the South last night - it is very interesting/disturbing and we have just watched the first two episodes - so many of us have no idea what life is like for many people brought up in less than favourable circumstances and who knows what decisions we might make if we were. A good lesson in not judging others without knowing their context.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

continued watching this last night - it is pretty intense so watching a couple of episodes at a time works well and so no binging until after midnight

Emma JC

Russian Doll - it popped up on our Netflix and when I clicked on it, it appeared that we had watched the first episode of the first season - neither of us had any memory of it and so we watched it again (still didn't seem familiar) and then we watched the next 4 episodes too and love it... so crazy and wild and funny and we loved Natasha from Orange is the New Black and I just learned that she is not only the star of it, she also wrote and directed it! So happy there are now 2 seasons.

Emma JC

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Russian Doll - it popped up on our Netflix and when I clicked on it, it appeared that we had watched the first episode of the first season - neither of us had any memory of it and so we watched it again (still didn't seem familiar) and then we watched the next 4 episodes too and love it... so crazy and wild and funny and we loved Natasha from Orange is the New Black and I just learned that she is not only the star of it, she also wrote and directed it! So happy there are now 2 seasons.

Emma JC
I loved the first season and I'm looking forward to the second season

I'm currently watching the following series on Netflix. I'm actually watching another one too (Maddie McCann) which is a bit too
long for my liking.

Reactions: Emma JC
finished Season 1 last night and will start on Season 2 tonight - can't imagine where they will go next with it and am trying not to read any spoilers anywhere

Emma JC

most of the way through Season 2 and definitely preferred Season 1 - it is deeper and more complicated whereas 1 was funnier and easier to track

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
watched a couple more episodes of Outer Range last night but my honey kept falling asleep from the food coma that was induced by eating too much

Emma JC