TV & Film The TV Room

Too many discussions online were about how little things weren't exactly like the books. .....
I would never complain about little things that aren't exactly like the book. but I do not like it when the writer of the screen play changed everything but still used the title of the book.
One example is the TV show Elementary. Full disclosure I've only seen one episode. but the setting is wrong. Watson is a Chinese woman. the only things they kept the same was the name Sherlock and Watson. I probably would have no complaints if the characters were called George and Holly. I kind of feel like by calling them Sherlock and Watson the writers are riding on Doyle's coattails.

I do like adaptions. and the closer it keeps to the core material the more I like it. For instance, I've read Pride and Prejudice a few times, and never seen any of the movies till I saw the one with Kierra Knightly. Austin never describes things like coaches and gowns because she was not writing historical fiction - at the time it was a contemporary romance. My imagination filled in what I thought coaches and gowns would look like. But the art director of the movie did a much better job than my imagination.

I'd also seen commenters complain about The Outsiders being almost too much like the book. Everyone cannot be pleased all of the time I suppose.
You won't ever hear me complaining that something was too much like the book. I see that as a plus.

I'd just meant there would be someone complaining about something out there all the time no matter what.

As for being too much like the book for me personally, I only complain if it seems like there's no movie script but acting out page by page of the book. It then seems somewhat empty. Even in real life stories, the point of watching the movie is seeing their take on it.

Season finale tonight of when calls the heart. I’m so annoyed with this show after they made Elizabeth pick Lucas 🤢🤮 instead of Nathan. I like Lucas but he just doesn’t fit with her. Although I don’t like her anymore now so I hope Nathan ends up with someone better. 😁 But I don’t trust the writers anymore. They ruined a really good series.

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC
Has anyone watched The Staircase? I haven't watched it yet as we saw the original documentary and I also saw his interview with Dr Phil. I probably will watch it at some point.

• Friendly
we started watching Night Sky on Prime last night - first two episodes, Sissy Spacek, JK Simmons, you have to like sci-fi and have patience as it isn't the fastest paced show, it is interesting so far and my honey wanted to watched a third episode however it was already 11:40pm so we put it off until tonight

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52
I started watching a new AMC series called "61st St". It takes place in Chicago and is a police/lawyer drama centering around the death of a police officer at the hands of a young black man. It is dark and gritty, dealing with police corruption, and reminds me of the old show "The Shield." Stars Courtney Vance as the lawyer who gets a cancer diagnosis just as he starts the case.

Oh no! Who's 'deleted member'?
I can't recall who it was, but I am surprised :shrug:

I just signed up for a month of Prime so maybe will try Night Sky

I started watching a new AMC series called "61st St". It takes place in Chicago and is a police/lawyer drama centering around the death of a police officer at the hands of a young black man. It is dark and gritty, dealing with police corruption, and reminds me of the old show "The Shield." Stars Courtney Vance as the lawyer who gets a cancer diagnosis just as he starts the case.
I was talking about The Shield yesterday. I said how much I liked it. I will probably watch 61st St too.:)
Stranger Things season 4!!
Oh yes, we watched the first episode yesterday as well!

Oh no! Who's 'deleted member'?
I can't recall who it was, but I am surprised :shrug:

I just signed up for a month of Prime so maybe will try Night Sky

we did finish Night Sky and it is slow but worth it in the end - there will obviously be a second season...

also going to watch Stranger Things next season

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
Some time ago I finished watching Ruby Gloom. I love that show.
It's kind of like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic meets The Addams Family.
Just the kind of escapism I desperately needed. One person described the show as strangely hypnotic.

Now all I want to do is fanart.
Here is one finished work:

Skullboys endless search.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I am watching the football at the moment but we are going to watch the first episodes of the third series of The Boys afterwards.

I am watching the football at the moment but we are going to watch the first episodes of the third series of The Boys afterwards.
I really liked The Boys. It had an actress in it that we both couldn't recognise but then I said that it was the blonde woman from The X-Files. My husband said it was the woman from The Walking Dead too. Of course! Andrea, I think. It feels like so long since I've watched TWD.

I started watching "Outer Range" on Amazon and watched all the episodes. Very strange show! Not exactly what I expected. I like Josh Brolin in the lead role so will keep watching.

• Informative
^ No, I haven't heard of it.

I thought episode 4 of Stranger Things was really good. We got half way through the 5th one last night and we are about to watch the rest.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
^ No, I haven't heard of it.

I thought episode 4 of Stranger Things was really good. We got half way through the 5th one last night and we are about to watch the rest.
Just a heads up…not a spoiler…there only 7 episodes…then there will be a few more starting July 1. I don’t know why they had to break it up like that. I was kind of annoyed.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas