TV & Film The TV Room

We binge watched Dexter yesterday. I think it dragged it out too much and thought they could have cut the number of epsisodes but apart from that I really enjoyed it. Interesting way of getting back into the storyline. :)

I'm not sure what we have to watch next.

Reactions: Emma JC and phlubup
I think I'll start that. although In from the cold looks good, too.
Big Veroncica Mars fan here. Although I didn't love the Good Place. And didn't like the one where she goes on a cruise with Kelsey Grammar. But I liked Hit and Run, the one she did with her real life husband.
I'm now alternating between In From the Cold and the long-named Kristen Bell project, because that's just what my attention span is up to today.
I read about that.
It's really entertaining so far. Good spoof of I suppose Lifetime crime drama or that sort of thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Raven and Emma JC
Starting this. Anything with Kristen Bell gets an extra 10 points from me out of the gate, after Veronica Mars and The Good Place.

I'm looking forward to watching this, saw her on Kimmel the other night, promoting it, and I do like her so - Ozark is getting a bit too dark for me although still fascinating.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Raven and phlubup
Reactions: Lou
Is anyone watching Emily In Paris? I heard it wasn't any good but after this review I'm thinking about it.

may I get your reaction to this? it only has 5.7 on IMDB

Emma JC
I like parody of that sort, so I'm kind of its target audience and am likely to overlook elements that bug other people, I suppose. It very much has the sort of stilted pacing of that made-for-basic-cable cheesy crime drama genre though, which I enjoyed but others might get annoyed by after a bit.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
We are going to watch Star Trek Discovery next. Series 4. I haven't read anything about it yet. I wasn't a fan of the third series.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I just binge watched the whole new Jack Reacher series on Amazon.

Just a little back story. 20 years ago this guy I became friends with was a huge fan of these action adventure stories. He would buy each Reacher novel as they came out, in hardcover, and then lend them to me. These are not the kind of books I would normally like to read but it was a nice way to connect with him. Ended up reading almost every one. I call these kind of books mind candy. I even watched the two movies with Tom Cruise.

Anyway I thought I would watch this tv show just to see how it does and then I couldn't stop.
Yep, the plots are totally built on coincidences so not really a well crafted mystery. and most of the stories are pretty unrealistic, too. but the they are fun and easy to read and this TV show was action packed and fun.

If you like action packed violence this is a pretty good show. One thing worth noting, the main actor keeps taking his shirt off - if you like that kind of thing.

^ My husband mentioned that show yesterday. I haven't seen any of the films, though. Would you need to know the storylines to watch the TV show?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
^ My husband mentioned that show yesterday. I haven't seen any of the films, though. Would you need to know the storylines to watch the TV show?
I just finished it this morning, and it's a wholly new adaptation of the Reacher character and isn't tied into the films at all, canonically or however you would phrase that.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
The films take place later in the chronology of the Reacher novels.

This first TV series is entirely made up from the first novel. Its been over 20 years since I read the first novel. I believe I read my last one (#17) about 5 years ago.
And although I could not remember all that much about #1 it was my general impression that it followed the book very closely. In fact I was thinking of getting the book and checking - at times I felt the dialog was lifted right from the pages.

This is not an origin story and when I read the book there was a lot of stuff that hadn't been revealed to me that I now know. If you know nothing of Reacher you won''t be any worse off than the typical person reading the first book.

There were a lot of flashbacks on the TV show. I'm not sure but I don't think all that stuff was in the first book. Also there were more "reveals" about Reacher in the tv show that I don't think were in the book. but like I said it was a long time since I read the book.

it was a benefit to my viewing enjoyment that I didn't remember too much about the book. The Reacher stories are still mystery/detective/crime stories and it was probably better that I didn't remember how it all fit together.

There were several Reacher characteristics that were in the tv show and I bet they will be appreciated by the True Reacher fan. but might go unnoticed or at least unappreciated by the tv viewer.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
we started it last night too and watched the first 4 episodes and will finish it tonight - I love it - I have also read all the books and I do recognize scenes as they happen (his childhood was addressed in the books as I recall) - I like it because there is some McGyvering, Alan Ritchson is easy to look at, there is lots of humour and action and some emotion etc - very well rounded - may have to go back and watch the movies again although I prefer Alan to Tom for sure

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Raven
We watched three episodes of Jack Reacher. They mention his height a lot too.