Earth Sciences The Rock, Fossil, Mineral, and Gemstone Collectors' Thread

Beancounter, I think my daughter would marry you for those!

Trying to marry her off, are you? :p. I'm twice her age. I don't think any amount of minerals are worth living with a "old" guy. :D.

Here's a couple of unimpressive, but big minerals my son and I dug up at Ruggles Mine. Pure amorphous quartz. Although the one on the left may be partial citrine. Haven't tested it yet, though. I'd say the one on the right is almost 20 pounds. Probably try my hand at turning them into book ends. If not, they'll be great door stops. :)

IMAG0069.jpg

Reactions: Pickle Juice
I love rocks and I'm constantly picking up interesting ones. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about them and what they might be, other than quartz, pyrite and a couple of others. I know these aren't as nice as the other collections displayed here, but I enjoy my plain jane collection. :)

One of the few things I like about living in the desert is the variety of rocks. These are some of the ones I've collected. There is a ton of pyrite out here and some places have a lot of jasper. I'm not sure what any of these are except the quartz and the really glittery pyrite ones. If anyone knows what type of rocks/minerals they might, I'd be interested to know.

My camera doesn't do macro photography very well, so the wonderful sparkliness of these doesn't show very well. They are full of pyrite.
rocks4.jpg

Does anyone know what the black and red rock could be?
rocks1.jpg

rocks2.jpg

rocks3.jpg

Reactions: Pickle Juice