Earth Sciences The Rock, Fossil, Mineral, and Gemstone Collectors' Thread

Well I'm not offended...intrigued, perhaps! I did do a double take and said to myself, "did she just post a picture of poop? Wth?" lol

Reactions: Pickle Juice
I'm not a paleontologist per se but I had great fun taking my little nephew out into the badlands in Wyoming and digging up dinosaur bones in the Morrison formation outside of Worland.

I used to collect crystals and minerals. My collection is pretty small, as I had very little income then and wasn't able to go rock hunting myself. I still have them, and like looking at them on occasion.

I have lots and lots, but I'm not good enough to know what most of them are. Here's a scan with a few; I know what a couple of them are, but can anyone help out with their names? I'm going to put the picture in a spoiler tag because the picture is so big since I wanted to keep the details of them.
5178435098_ec3ab23e2f_o.jpg

Plus I have a container full of really tiny ones. These are just a few of them:
5200553481_6d68fc72e4_o.jpg

Here are some smaller pictures: arrowheads, and I don't know what the purple one is. Then there is the rock that I've always called the landscape rock because it really does look like a desert scene in there.
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0010-1.jpg
landscaperock.jpg

I will have to take pictures of all the other ones I have, as well. I just put all of these on my scanner, seems to do a better job of showing the details.

Great specimens! Do you have them out in some sort of case to show them off?

I'd love to get a shadowbox coffee table, or whatever they are called, to put all of my rocks and minerals, sharks teeth and other things in. I have them all in containers right now otherwise the cats would have SO much fun with them if I just had them sitting out.

Nice specimens. I'm sure I have some good ones to take pics of, but most of my rock collection is only interesting to other geologists. I'll have to dig around and find the good stuff for y'all.

Cool stuff.

I know nothing about rocks/minerals, etc., but I'm always picking up ones that I find interesting and taking them home. Some have special emotional significance for me.

Great specimens! Do you have them out in some sort of case to show them off?

I'd love to get a shadowbox coffee table, or whatever they are called, to put all of my rocks and minerals, sharks teeth and other things in.

Excellent idea! My cousin picked up an old printer's box for $12 at a flea market and filled the tiny compartments with different things, put a glass top on it and made it into a coffee table. It's really cool!

Beancounter, I think my daughter would marry you for those! She collects crystals and stones. I visited my sister this past long weekend, and daughter (23) sent a pretty polished lapis lazuli for her aunt. :)
I will post some pictures of stuff she's given me later.