The Question of Vegans and Killing Bugs

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
if you're vegan, you've probably been asked "well do you kill bugs?" i'd love to hear what your relationship is with insects.

what is the vegan stance on insects? do vegans kill bugs? do they have rights? how “far” do you take veganism? in this interview vegan activist Gary Yourosfky elaborates on the ethical aspects of our relationship with bugs and shares his own personal experience and aversions.

My relationship with insects is exactly the same as my relationship with everything else.

I don't harm anything I can avoid harming.

Not so much for the benefit of all the things I avoid harming, that, mind.

I just find that the mindset of not harming anything I can avoid harming benefits me.

Strangely the less the reasons not to harm the better not harming makes me feel.

^What he said.

Was it was of these moments, Ded?

moo_12470527.jpg

My relationship with insects is exactly the same as my relationship with everything else.

I don't harm anything I can avoid harming.

Not so much for the benefit of all the things I avoid harming, that, mind.

I just find that the mindset of not harming anything I can avoid harming benefits me.

Strangely the less the reasons not to harm the better not harming makes me feel.
love it

I try not to kill any bugs, but if a mosquito is biting me it is going to die, if I can get it. They are more then a nuisance and can carry harmful illnesses.

Its funny that Gary thinks he doesn't kill insects when, in fact, his lifestyle cause the death of massive amounts of insects every year. Does Gary advocate against the use of pesticides, both organic or conventional, for plant crops? Does he advocate against using insects, in particular bees, to pollinate fruits and nuts? Does he avoid fossil fuels? Yep, no contradictions at all......

I think it would be funny to watch Gary respond to some serious questions about this topic, I'm sure it would result in an angry outburst and a diatribe about hurting "omnivores".

How do we avoid harming insects when we must protect plant crops from them, we must use them to pollinate, we kill billions of them just moving things around, etc?