The Good Memories thread

I found a home for my last two goldfish! I adopted 5 goldfish from a friend's koi pond when they turned up there back in 2006. Since then, they grew and grew; one died at the age of maybe 9, I found home for two a few years ago, and someone took in the last 2 last December.

I can count myself very lucky for having her these years. Almost 15 years.

The sound of her playing with her balls always made me happy. Even if it was at 5 am. I would sometimes hide her balls under a news paper and she would find those there and start to play. Those were really happy times.

The first time I saw her, I sat on the floor and she walked with her little legs towards me and came to my lap. She curled up into this little bundle of fur, looked straight at me and fell asleep.
She adopted me. Not the other way around.

The sound of her playing with her balls always made me happy. Even if it was at 5 am. I would sometimes hide her balls under a news paper and she would find those there and start to play. Those were really happy times.

The first time I saw her, I sat on the floor and she walked with her little legs towards me and came to my lap. She would curl up into this little bundle of fur, look at me and fell asleep.
(((Hugs))) :hug:

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L.
When I was a kid, we had two rats Ada (black and white male) and Eve (brown and white beautiful female).
As we went to see them for the first time at their home, I sat on the floor so that I could see them better. Eve was shy and hid from us, but Ada bolted right into my lap. I had this beautiful dark blue dress on and Ada peed on me. And that was a suprisingly large amount of pee. And then bolted away.
I just sat there, not knowing what to do and thought to myself "...he peed on me... I don't think I like him very much."

As we got home, I wanted to have a better look at Eve as I wished that she would be my friend. And, like a stupid child I was, I stuck my hand right into their cage (that was way too small for them, by the way *sigh*) and before I knew, Eve bit me. I lifted my hand carefully so that I could see her better as she was still hanging from my finger. Then I said "I think they are hungry. Do we have any meat?"
That beginning sounds depressing, but me and Eve actually became the best of friends eventually.
I really loved that silly rat.
She liked to climb on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was so proud of Söpö when she learned some tricks such as give paw, sit, stand up and go around. She was so smart! And also very motivated, because she loved treats. Her favourites were these small freeze dried chicken pieces that were supposed to be "healthy" treats.
Sometimes I'd give her a small amount of treats just because she was so damn cute and I loved her.

We used to play this ball game, where the red ball was inside this round tunnel. I'd push the ball and Söpö would watch. Then I'd ask her "where is the ball?" and then she would push the ball and I'd give her a treat for being a good and smart little cat.
If I couldn't give her treats, because I had given enough that day already, I'd just tell her that she is smart and pet her.
Sometimes I'd hide little bit of treats all over the house so that she could randomly find them.

Sometimes she really didn't want me to leave her alone and it was painful for both of us. She would follow me to the front door and push herself against me. Then I would sometimes kinda give up and just sit on the floor with her at the front door, unable to make up my mind. Feeling guilty because I had somewhere to go, and because of trying to leave her alone. She would roll into a bundle of fur and place her head on top of my shoe, kinda like saying: "You can't leave without your shoes. So Stay."

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
When Söpö was younger, she would make this "chirup" sound before jumping on top of something. That atribute in her was beyound adorable.

One night Oggy woke me up, telling me that Söpö was making some weird noise, so I went to check what was going on. In the light of a flashlight I saw her and in front of her there was some sort of tiny critter. Probably some sort of shrew. The poor critter was dead. The little one had somehow gotten inside. Söpö kept making this weird "hurrhurrhurr" sound, that wasn't a purr, but something else. She was like "lookmomwhatIgotisn'titgreat".
She was so build up about excitement, I couldn't correct her (and there was nothing to correct, she was just being a cat...). So, with nothing else left to do, I said "good kitty." And that was a sign from me to her that it was okay, so she just ate the whole damn thing with one bite.

One christmas here on Vegan Forum was this falling snow effect. And Söpö loved it. She would just watch and watch the snow fall forever. That was too cute.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Raven
I think I know the sound you mentioned. It is so cute. I’ve had a few cats that made the chirp. I don’t think I’ve noticed my current three doing it.
Joon, in general is incredibly vocal and has several different sounds/pitches. I swear it’s like she’s carrying on a conversation with you sometimes.

I think I know the sound you mentioned. It is so cute. I’ve had a few cats that made the chirp. I don’t think I’ve noticed my current three doing it.
Joon, in general is incredibly vocal and has several different sounds/pitches. I swear it’s like she’s carrying on a conversation with you sometimes.
Oh my God. Söpö was also like that, we had many long and meaningless conversations together. And she had countless different vocalizations.
And often, after coming back from the laundromat (I was gone for a freaking 30 min.) she came at the door and was all like "where were you? I almost starved to death." I would pet her and ask "were you alone for a long time?" and she would go: "MEEEEAAAWWWW".

One of my cats used to do that. Poppy. I lost her a few years ago. :(
In one of Jackson Galaxys latests videos he says that chirrup is kind of an purr, but more excitable. If Poppy used to do that, it probably meant that she was a very happy cat.
Chirpers are also ofter females, because they'd normaly use that when they communicate with kittens.

The first time I saw her, I sat on the floor and she walked with her little legs towards me and came to my lap. She curled up into this little bundle of fur, looked straight at me and fell asleep.

That's what they say.😻

Reactions: Tom L.
Some 30+ years ago a cat "adopted" me and my family. It was a big ginger male cat. He was "intact" - we were very much opposed to invasive fertility-removal surgery at the time. Posthumously he was named Buster, but we didn't give him a name while he lived with us for some reason, probably because we figured he already had a name, and we didn't want to confuse him or disrespect him with a new one.

Anyway, he was a tough cat. One day the neighbours' dog, Snobben, came for a visit - he was an angry westie, and walked around outside on his own during the daytime, as was the custom in those days. On approaching the house, he discovered Buster on the stairs outside our house, and immediately went into a rage of barking. Buster stood his ground on the staircase. The barking continued, and at that point I invited Buster to come inside. He did come in at first, but then had a change of heart, and signalled that he wanted to go back outside. At 4 years old or so, I'm not sure what my thinking was exactly, but in any case I let Buster out again. Snobben had now come a bit closer to the staircase. Upon discovering that the cat was coming back out, he too had a change of heart, and decided that retreat was now required. Buster decided to make sure he left the territory properly. So it was cat chasing dog - an unusual sight, especially for 4 year old me.
Greatest respects to Buster and Snobben, and to you, your folks and animals, and friends, and to all beings everywhere. RIP Snobben and Buster 😔.
Do you understand why it can be in the animals’ best interests, and in the best interests of the animals in need due to breeding and overpopulation, to spay and neuter?

Do you understand why it can be in the animals’ best interests, and in the best interests of the animals in need due to breeding and overpopulation, to spay and neuter?
Yes, absolutely. Although I do wish there was a less invasive way to do this than surgery. And even if there was, the decision to make an animal infertile is a violation of its rights. But the benefits of reduced suffering outweigh these drawbacks, I think.