The Good Memories thread

Fluffy sounds like he was an awesome cat. We do what we can and sometimes it has to be enough. :hug:

I was going through some old photos and came across this picture of my Maxie...Yorkshire Terrier. She was a cutie...look at that face!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446635751.783403.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446635751.783403.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Tom L. and ledboots
I have no problem using boyfriend/girlfriend songs for animals I love. :) .............
Bogart' song is from the Twilight series, "A Thousand Years"...talk about a love song, lol.
Most of the words just fit for me. The fact that he was 6+ years old and I found him in a shelter...love at first sight...only having him for a year before he died. I felt like I loved him my whole life. Funny how that can happen.
"All along I believed I would find you. Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you for a thousand years, I'll love you for a thousand more."
Lately I've heard that song several times. I had never heard it before but suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, I made out the lyrics and recognized it! But I forgot that it was Bogart's song instead of Thor's.

Every day I think about my First Ones:

Peasant... the brave, the loving... the first animal whom I ever really bonded with.
Fluffy... he was the first warm-blooded animal whom I ever had primary responsibility for. I've written about these two in this thread.
And also: Freddy and Frieda... two squirrels whom we sometimes fed in the 1950s when I was VERY small. They were the first wild animals whom I ever knew. Once, I foolishly touched one of them gently on top of their head when they were on the porch railing, but luckily, all they did was lift their nose and nuzzle my finger. I had come from the side, and they saw me coming, but of course if I had come from behind and startled them, I might have gotten nipped. I don't remember if my parents were looking at that moment... I guess not, or they would have stopped me. They liked the squirrels, but knew that actually touching one wasn't such a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
How cool that you were able to get that close to the squirrels! I always wanted to have a wild animal befriend me but I don't have the patience to take the time to let them get to know and trust me. I see pictures of people with birds eating out of their hands. I always envision myself sitting motionless on the deck with seed in my hand, waiting for the birds to come. I don't think I would last five minutes, if that, haha.

I knew a family, years ago, who used to feed the squirrels. They would open their back door and the squirrels would come into the kitchen, retrieve the peanuts and then leave. So cool!

The closest I've come to that was a squirrel who would jump on my kitchen window sill (outside) and knock on the window. I could open the window a crack and hand him a peanut. I imagine he might have come in if I let him but I was too scared. I've heard stories of squirrels accidentally getting into people's homes and wreaking havoc, not to mention the panic for the poor squirrel.

Reactions: Tom L.
And now, that reminds me of chipmunks at two places in the Adirondack Mountains where my family used to vacation...

At one place, a chipmunk was scooting around near my feet, and suddenly they started climbing my trousers (fortunately, they were long pants, not shorts... and fortunately also, it was on the OUTSIDE, not the inside of the leg...) I just squatted down and s/he hopped back down on the ground again. A bit of a surprise there, though...

At a different place there was a chipmunk who was a real workaholic, running up to my Mom, hopping up on the chaise lounge, taking a peanut, and dashing back to their lair. Then, repeat... After a few minutes of this, my folks would decide that chipmunks do not live by unsalted peanuts in the shell alone and take the nuts back inside. Once, one of them took hold of Mom's finger after the nuts were withdrawn- no damage or pain, but HEY!!!!

I just hope that we didn't harm Freddy or Frieda's health by feeding them. I don't think we fed them that often... maybe a treat every other day or so.

Reactions: KLS52
And now, that reminds me of chipmunks at two places in the Adirondack Mountains where my family used to vacation...

At one place, a chipmunk was scooting around near my feet, and suddenly they started climbing my trousers (fortunately, they were long pants, not shorts... and fortunately also, it was on the OUTSIDE, not the inside of the leg...) I just squatted down and s/he hopped back down on the ground again. A bit of a surprise there, though...

At a different place there was a chipmunk who was a real workaholic, running up to my Mom, hopping up on the chaise lounge, taking a peanut, and dashing back to their lair. Then, repeat... After a few minutes of this, my folks would decide that chipmunks do not live by unsalted peanuts in the shell alone and take the nuts back inside. Once, one of them took hold of Mom's finger after the nuts were withdrawn- no damage or pain, but HEY!!!!

I just hope that we didn't harm Freddy or Frieda's health by feeding them. I don't think we fed them that often... maybe a treat every other day or so.

Another species that are so gorgeous.

Read a post on FB about a couple who adopted an older cat with kidney disease. Made me think of Bogart. [emoji170]
3cc43b4e3d1477a5a9c0383188a2b69f.jpg

7a4ebcb66baeae51a5ddc68010b94b52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Love
Reactions: Tom L. and Amy SF
Great pix of Bogart! I don't think I've seen the first one before...

Some of us know about that "Monday Candle Ceremony" which is done at a certain time... This past Monday I dozed off (I KNEW I was going to do that) and woke up about a half-hour after it had started. I just started doing it (well, my Halloween version of it) when I woke up.......
Since this was Halloween, I'm of partly Irish descent, and Halloween was originally a Celtic festival (Samhain) when it was thought (I think) that the barrier between this world and the next was weaker... I went through my list of past animal companions/friends (going back to the 1950s) and read everybody's names, thinking about some memory of them and wishing them well.

I found a collage in the attic when I was cleaning it out. It has pictures of my original six, now deceased...Mikey, Mandy, Tommy, Thor, Beavis and Cybil. I'm going to take a picture of it and post it here.

I was washing the mould from around a window yesterday (I live a glam life) and a black and white kitty strolled around the street in front of me. He used to stay at my house before we adopted the rescue dogs. He isn't a stray as I know that he lives with people near me and I did feed him now and then, but I would take him in if I had the chance.:) Adorable. He is a big, very strong, tom cat.

ETA - I just remembered this was about animals we lost. The kitty we tried to adopt reminds me of my Gran's cat called Ben. He was a very strong male cat too. :(

Last edited:
  • Friendly
I was washing the mould from around a window yesterday (I live a glam life) and a black and white kitty strolled around the street in front of me. He used to stay at my house before we adopted the rescue dogs. He isn't a stray as I know that he lives with people near me and I did feed him now and then, but I would take him in if I had the chance.:) Adorable. He is a big, very strong, tom cat.

ETA - I just remembered this was about animals we lost. The kitty we tried to adopt reminds me of my Gran's cat called Ben. He was a very strong male cat too. :(

I feel so sorry for stray cats. We have a huge population over here and apparently there is not much that can be done. I have contacted the animal welfare dept at the local council and all they can do is try and catch them to neuter them.

It really breaks my heart seeing them roaming around and searching for food in the dustbins. Moreover, I have no idea where they find shelter when it's freezing cold or raining. Such a sad life...:no:

• Friendly
Sad. :(

The cat I mentioned isn't a stray as he does belong to a couple who live quite near me. A woman neighbour told me this as she says she feeds the cat too as they go away for weekends and just leave him to fend for himself.:mad: He seems a healthy weight when I have picked him up so he must be getting food even when they leave him alone.

• Friendly
Happy anniversary, Patches (it was sometime in May of 1984...) You were the last cat my parents adopted.

And as always, I'm thinking about Peasant. If memory serves me, her parents would have gotten together about this time of year
:cat: <3 23:laptop:
... although she was alone by the time my sister and me found her as a kitten after the school year had started.