The flesh eating 'weird vegan'...

FreakyFreekeh

Newcomer
Reaction score
So, we have all no doubt heard plenty of folk claiming to be vegetarian while guzzling flesh.
But I think today was one of those rarer occasions when I encounter somebody actually claiming to be *vegan* even though they guzzle flesh... because she "Only wants to eat [flesh] which is for example Game Asociation Certified, or suchlike. So it's easier to just say [she is] a kind of weird vegan."

As far as I know the GAC aren't even an 'animal welfare' organisation, they're a trade body which exists to assist 'game' flesh traders and suchlike. So, it was an odd choice to use as her example in the first place.

but yeah, it came up in conversation as there is a nice wee place just over the road from me which has a tasty sounding menu with a lot of vegetarian food on it. Her boyfriend was seemingly the sort who sniffs at any menu not loaded down with flesh, and she was trying to cajole him into going into the place anyway when I happened to meet them in the street on my way past. She was saying how a lot of the stuff on the menu sounds great to her, but that it wasn't his sort of thing. So, the obvious question was "oh, so you are vegetarian?" , to which she said "Well I am a weird kind of vegan."... then added the nonsense about how she only wants to eat (for example) gac certified flesh.
So i said, "ahmmm, so not vegan then.", to which she said "Wellll.... it's because it's a welfare thing, and it's not that an animal died which she cares about - so it makes sense to say she is vegan" , and I said well hmm but plainly she is a meat eater though. And her boyfriend chimed in with "Well it makes sense to me, but what do I know?" ....

I have to say, maybe I am a terrible judgemental person but whenever people try this sort of schtick, I can't help thinking "Wow I guess they are kind of a stupid/ pretentious person then, I wouldn't have thought they were stupid/pretentious from meeting them before, but apparently so...."

I mean, imagine if i went about murdering people but was like, oh yeah I am a weird kind of pacifist because I don't care if people die... it's more about whether I get Poison Dart Society certified poisonous darts for my blowgun and kill people with those comparatively painlesly - rather than using janky slow acting poison i got from China off Ebay and torturing them a bit in the meantime before it kicks in. Because you know, welfare and stuff man.... it's easier to say I'm a pacifist if anyone ever asks whether I'm pacifistic or not.

Why not just say she is a weird sort of meat eater though.... I mean, that is a lot more accurate.
What's with the people wanting to pretend they are vegan/vegetarian when they plainly are not though, eh!?
:p

Reactions: ledboots
It's not easy :)

Maybe it has to do with identity and labels and all that? Maybe deep down she doesn't feel entirely comfortable with all the meat-guzzling? Some people might think veganism is a more vague and fleeting thing than it is. Of course, it's also possible that stupidity is a factor :)

Come on, if you eat meat you're not vegetarian. Intentionally eating, or planning, on eating meat of any kind totally negates the word 'vegetarian'. Who's being stupid and pretentious? The person calling themselves vegan when they knowingly eat meat, that's who.
Yeah, I'll call anyone out for that, I don't want that to become peoples story of "well veg'ns can eat meat if it's (insert condition here)." It makes it seem as though refraining from meat is harder than it really is, and causes confusion.
I'm fine when people say they're 'mostly' vegetarian, but will make exceptions, but to come out and identify as a vegan is just wrong.
I guess it can go in the category of "alternative facts", twisting the truth so much it's isn't the truth.
I wouldn't argue with them, but I'd certainly correct them

I think she is one of those "flexitarians" they are often confused.

Yeahhh I like to go out and beat up homeless people (but only black ones, and I stop before they die - so it's OK then) but it makes me feel uncomfortable to admit it, so if anybody asks then I just say that I am a weird kind of humanitarian. ;-) If that were really the case then I would also be pretentious, stupid, actively cultivating cognitive dissonance, and immoral though.

Flexitarian is another term I find idiotic and pretentious. Exclusively used by people who guzzle flesh but don't want to refer to themselves as omnivorous, and who like the idea of portraying veg*ns as rigid and inflexible compared to their flexible flesh eating selves.