Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Husband and I got Moderna and I’m not too confident since I only hear about the other vaccines. I’m glad my kids got Pfizer.

We had our 11th death here in town yesterday. Woman in her fifties. It’s the first death since January. I guess that’s somewhat encouraging. ☹️

I went to the hardware store yesterday and was surprised to see masks not required if vaccinated. About half of the people there still wore their mask. I took mine off... 😳

Masks are not required for vaccinated people in many stores and signs to that effect are posted. I don't wear one and feel weird. TJ Maxx continues to "require" them, but we have never been able to actually enforce that and now the comments are getting nastier from customers when asked to wear one. A fellow employee told me she heard that in June the temperature checks for employees will stop so I think corporate is thinking of relaxing the protocols. People are really not happy about the fitting rooms being closed and it makes extra work for everybody with the returns and the quarantining of returned merchandise.
Employees are getting another "covid bonus" in June and this will probably be the last one.

We had a online meeting about new covid regulations for work moving forward. Starting June, those vaccinated will no longer be required to wear masks---all based on an honor system 🙄 :woo:
What that means, is everyone who was vocal about how ridiculous the fuss about covid was, and distrust of the vaccine is suddenly quiet and changed their mind about getting the shot. There are no requirements to show proof, as I guess that's not legal? Anyway, so many conflicting rules! One is that if you are exposed to someone positive, and you're vaccinated, you won't have to quarantine. Aren't you still able to to be a carrier?
Seems to me we're moving too fast. I will say, I will be super happy to ditch the mask when I'm working alone, but will keep it with me for being around others and in stores

@silva ...As far as asking for proof of vaccination, it is my understanding that it does not fall under HIPPA regulations. Employers are within their rights to ask for proof of vaccination.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Reactions: KLS52
California update.

first off I'm happy to see that this thread is not on the top ten all the time nowadays.

About 50% of Californians are fully vaccinated. A little higher than the national average but not even close to the top ten states. Some of which have achieved 70%. My county has hit 65% recently.

We just started our own lottery reward system. I don't know if I had seen it coming if I would have waited.

The nearby mass vaccination site nearby has closed and now you can get your vaccine at a pharmacy. I stopped by a pharmacy the other day and there were no lines. I'm not sure that is a good sign.

We are dropping most of the state wide restriction on June 6.

I'm going to go back to they gym and ask what is going on. I may start up again. I noticed that they are taking down the tent they were using for an outdoor gym.

BTW, I had the Phizer and didn't have anything worse that a sore arm after each shot.

The article still doesn't explain why the number of people getting blood clots further to the AZ & JJ vaccines is relatively small.

''The rare blood-clotting reaction that has disrupted the rollout of the AstraZeneca and J&J shots has been recorded in 309 of the 33 million people who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine in the UK, causing 56 deaths. In Europe, at least 142 people have experienced the blood clots out of 16 million recipients of the vaccine.''

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
My layperson’s opinion:

We’re going to have a fall/autumn surge of COVID cases here in the US. This is because not enough people are getting vaccinated and because now that summer is almost here, they’re going to want the summer they didn’t get last year, and act like everything is back to normal. Plus, both kids and adults in a lot of states are going back to in-person learning starting in August and schools at every level will basically be covid incubators. Plus, states are now acting like covid is over when it’s not, and opening everything up and dropping mask mandates.

And when the surge does occur, the Republicans will blame the Democrats, who are the ones who put into place the strictest protections against the spread of covid. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
My layperson’s opinion:

We’re going to have a fall/autumn surge of COVID cases here in the US. This is because not enough people are getting vaccinated and because now that summer is almost here, they’re going to want the summer they didn’t get last year, and act like everything is back to normal. Plus, both kids and adults in a lot of states are going back to in-person learning starting in August and schools at every level will basically be covid incubators. Plus, states are now acting like covid is over when it’s not, and opening everything up and dropping mask mandates.

And when the surge does occur, the Republicans will blame the Democrats, who are the ones who put into place the strictest protections against the spread of covid. 🤷🏻‍♀️
You may be right on all counts. but I hope not.

It looks to me like in the US the percent vaccinated should hit 70% by fall. Some states have already hit 70%.
also I think its going to the courts but I'm almost sure that both businesses and schools will require vaccinations. Not sure about other states but California and NY have required students to be vaccinated for decades. And it has withstood many law suites. (Although in NY I think they have a religious grounds exception).

Although 70% is short of the number for herd immunity it should be enough to slow any surges that show up .

And you know, with the 70%+ vaccination plus the number of people who are immune cause they have caught it - we may reach herd immunity after all.

the thing that I worry about is that international efforts are not strong enough and that a variation will occur in one of those populations that our vaccine does not work against and we start this all over again. even if that happens one would hope that world leaders will have learned their lesson and mount a stronger defense.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
The last admin did little to protect those who had any interest in beating this virus. Now the currant admin seems to willing to cater to all sides, which again, isn't doing enough to really beat this thing down.
Sure, those vaccinated may have resistance to the strains around now, but all those who refuse, and now allowed to go maskless, (because the vast majority that refuse the vaccine are the first to get rid of the masks) are going to continue to spread it, and have it mutate.
I'd be willing to bet next fall we'll be back to square one. Makes no dam sense.
No, we haven;t beat it just because we got a new administration 🙄

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Husband and I got Moderna and I’m not too confident since I only hear about the other vaccines. I’m glad my kids got Pfizer.

We had our 11th death here in town yesterday. Woman in her fifties. It’s the first death since January. I guess that’s somewhat encouraging. ☹️

Plenty of people in my neck of the woods received the Moderna shot.

It's fine. No worries. There is still a small rick of getting COVID with (any) shot, but it's small.

The best thing to do is be mindful of where you go to mitigate the risks.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I just had my second AZ jab. I took paracetamol afterwards. The nurse said to drink lots of water. She said it was 21 days afterwards to get immunity but I heard it was 14 days from other people.

I just had my second AZ jab. I took paracetamol afterwards. The nurse said to drink lots of water. She said it was 21 days afterwards to get immunity but I heard it was 14 days from other people.
It is 14 for Pfizer and Moderna, so we’ve been told. And water seems to be an important factor afterwards. Congratulations!

She said drinking water was something to do with the cells in your body and the vaccine. A nurse came over and asked me a lot of questions before the jab this time. It must be because of the blood clot thing.

I just had a couple more hours of sleep. I really don't want a bad reaction again.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
She said drinking water was something to do with the cells in your body and the vaccine. A nurse came over and asked me a lot of questions before the jab this time. It must be because of the blood clot thing.

I just had a couple more hours of sleep. I really don't want a bad reaction again.

I hope that you'll be fine and won't get any side effects.

''It takes 15 days after getting the 2nd dose (AZ) to have the best protection''.

For those who are fully vaccinated and want to ditch masks, think twice:

It takes about two weeks after your final vaccination for your body to build full protection to the coronavirus. But even after those two weeks, the CDC says you should continue to wear a mask and practice social distancing in most situations.

That’s partly because researchers don’t know yet whether the vaccine can block virus transmission. That means it’s possible that you could still carry the virus once you’ve been vaccinated and silently transmit it to others, even if you don't have symptoms.

Perhaps more importantly, the virus will continue to spread and sicken people until the country reaches herd immunity, when 70 to 85 percent of Americans are vaccinated. Masks and social distancing are the best way to slow the spread of the virus until we reach that point, the CDC says.

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC