Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I got this email from Vox this morning. some good info and thoughts.

Hey readers,

Now that the vaccines are arriving, people are starting to dream.

They say things like, “The second everyone in my family is vaccinated, we’re going on a big trip to Asia!” or, “As soon as my five closest friends and I get the shot, I’m spending a weekend at a cabin with them. No masks, no social distancing.”

While many of us are thinking in binary terms — there’s “life before I get the shot” and “life after I get the shot” — experts are cautioning us to think more gradually.

“Realistically, it’s definitely not going to be an on/off switch on normal,” Eleanor Murray, a Boston University epidemiologist, told me.

The best way to set realistic expectations about life in 2021 is to think of it in three stages. Stage 1 is what you can safely do once you and your close friends or family are vaccinated. Stage 2 is what you can safely do once your city or state has reached herd immunity, where enough people are protected against infection that the virus can’t easily spark new outbreaks. Stage 3 is what you can do once herd immunity is reached internationally. Note that there’s a good chance we won’t reach that last stage in 2021.

—Sigal Samuel, @SigalSamuel

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
We have 2 new confirmed cased of covid and 3 more that are now rumored. They've stopped saying anything- they had been specifying the areas, now they're not sending out any emails.
They certainly are being strict on everyone staying apart, and have purchased plexiglass shields. They're not even being used, and very very expensive! Quite a trip hazard if they make us use one

I just got this in an email.

If they put the vaccine in beer and opened up the pubs, the whole country would be vaccinated by next Tuesday.
:)
The use of the word pubs makes me think that this is directed to a UK audience. But it got me to thinking that maybe they should put getting the vaccine as a prerequisite to certain activities. Going to school, going to work. Getting on a plane.
🏫⛑️✈️
Going to Church? (uh oh).
⛪
Then this idea would require a "proof of vaccination" card or something like that. and I see a controversy there. in fact, I think Bill Gates has been (falsely) accused of pushing the ideas of implanted chips. although I think that might be a good idea. Invisible ink tattoos on school children has also been suggested.

Maybe a vaccination card or an app on your phone. these could be popular if they got you something. 10% off on your health insurance? Gym membership. Tuition. $5 off at Bed Bath and Beyond.

😷
That's definitely a violation of freedoms.

• Agree
Reactions: hungryraccoon
Here's a discussion on NPR-
That is good info.
I'm wondering if there are laws or precedents for customers? Congregants?

I think the student/teacher stuff is already settled. Schools have been prohibiting unvaccinated students to enroll for years. There are students who get exemptions for religious reasons but I'm under the impression that even that doesn't hold up if the school district takes it to court.

That is good info.
I'm wondering if there are laws or precedents for customers? Congregants?

I think the student/teacher stuff is already settled. Schools have been prohibiting unvaccinated students to enroll for years. There are students who get exemptions for religious reasons but I'm under the impression that even that doesn't hold up if the school district takes it to court.

When the entire system and media tells you to vaccinate your kids and targets those who question, it's time to question.

-David Icke

I read an article that said that social distancing, washing hands and wearing masks did flatten the curve. but there was a Next step that never got fully or well implemented. contact tracing and testing.
By tracing do you mean an app that you can download, or tracking and spying on people like in 1984?

By tracing do you mean an app that you can download, or tracking and spying on people like in 1984?
I don't think the article specifically mentioned the app. But that would help too.
I'm pretty sure what is meant by tracking is when someone is tested positive they are interviewed. Then professionally trained contact tracers track down all the people s/he may have had contact with. Those people are then asked to self quarantine till they have been tested and cleared or for a certain number of days.
The way the article explained it is that testing and tracking is very important to stop the spread.

If you need more info I can probably find the article.

When the entire system and media tells you to vaccinate your kids and targets those who question, it's time to question.

-David Icke
Oh, yeah. David Icke is NOT a good source.

From wikipedia
In 1990, while a spokesman for the Green Party, he visited a psychic who informed Icke he had been placed on earth for a purpose and Icke would begin to receive messages from the spirit world.[9] These events led him to announce the following year that he was a "Son of the Godhead"[6] and that the world would soon be devastated by tidal waves and earthquakes, a prediction he repeated on the BBC's primetime show Wogan.[10][11] Icke's appearance on the show led to public ridicule in the United Kingdom.[12]

• Informative
Reactions: Second Summer
Oh, yeah. David Icke is NOT a good source.

From wikipedia
In 1990, while a spokesman for the Green Party, he visited a psychic who informed Icke he had been placed on earth for a purpose and Icke would begin to receive messages from the spirit world.[9] These events led him to announce the following year that he was a "Son of the Godhead"[6] and that the world would soon be devastated by tidal waves and earthquakes, a prediction he repeated on the BBC's primetime show Wogan.[10][11] Icke's appearance on the show led to public ridicule in the United Kingdom.[12]
I don't see how he's any worse than than the CDC or any of those folks. Also don't be so quick to dismiss the supernatural.

I changed working place in January (back to old job as planned after additional education, mind you) and now there is talk that we're supposed to work on the COVID wards. No one in our department has any experience with working on a ward, all of us are at least 10 years out of clinical medicine. Some idea...

Anyway, I got my first Comirnaty shot last Monday, next will be on 1st February. Hopefully this stuff's worth anything.

I definitely have some form of health anxiety even without covid.

A month ago never heard of "health anxiety".

I was surprised today to get an article in my inbox about it.

It makes sense, then, that much of the anxiety from those who have had the virus (or those worried about contracting it) seems to stem from the fact that no one, not even doctors, knows for certain the ways in which this virus can affect us in the long term, and that is an understandably terrifying thought to possess.​
In this case, Scarella says, reassurance not only might not work, but is actually unavailable.​

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Maybe a vaccination card or an app on your phone. these could be popular if they got you something. 10% off on your health insurance? Gym membership. Tuition. $5 off at Bed Bath and Beyond.

😷

So. Here we go.

The VCI said it wants to develop technology that enables individuals to obtain an encrypted digital copy of their immunization credentials that can be stored in a digital wallet of their choice, such as the Apple Wallet or Google Pay. It suggested that anyone without a smartphone could receive paper printed with QR codes containing verifiable credentials.​
He added that the technology should allow people “to safely return to travel, work, school, and life, while protecting their data privacy.”​
Millions of people around the world still don’t want to be vaccinated.....​
....Should any restrictions be imposed on people who choose not to get vaccinated, given they can catch and spread the virus?​
....it could, eventually, be used to gain access to concert venues or airline flights.​
China has launched a health code app that shows whether a person is symptom-free in order to check into a hotel or use the subway.​
.... it “isn’t easy to say whether it would be ethically permissible for a state to impose restrictions” on people who refuse a jab.​
....“There is the potential for unvaccinated individuals to contract a serious case of coronavirus, which we take would be bad for them, but could also negatively affect others, for example, if health resources have to be diverted away from non-Covid care.”​

That is the same argument for mandating motorcycle helmets and seatbelts. And some people are going to yell about the encroachment of their freedoms and liberties. My prediction is that a lot of lawyers are going to be very busy.

Reactions: Mufflon
So. Here we go.

The VCI said it wants to develop technology that enables individuals to obtain an encrypted digital copy of their immunization credentials that can be stored in a digital wallet of their choice, such as the Apple Wallet or Google Pay. It suggested that anyone without a smartphone could receive paper printed with QR codes containing verifiable credentials.​
He added that the technology should allow people “to safely return to travel, work, school, and life, while protecting their data privacy.”​
Millions of people around the world still don’t want to be vaccinated.....​
....Should any restrictions be imposed on people who choose not to get vaccinated, given they can catch and spread the virus?​
....it could, eventually, be used to gain access to concert venues or airline flights.​
China has launched a health code app that shows whether a person is symptom-free in order to check into a hotel or use the subway.​
.... it “isn’t easy to say whether it would be ethically permissible for a state to impose restrictions” on people who refuse a jab.​
....“There is the potential for unvaccinated individuals to contract a serious case of coronavirus, which we take would be bad for them, but could also negatively affect others, for example, if health resources have to be diverted away from non-Covid care.”​

That is the same argument for mandating motorcycle helmets and seatbelts. And some people are going to yell about the encroachment of their freedoms and liberties. My prediction is that a lot of lawyers are going to be very busy.
This is the definition of a violation of freedoms, what do you think is if you don't see this as a violation of rights and freedoms?

This is the definition of a violation of freedoms, what do you think is if you don't see this as a violation of rights and freedoms?
Protection.

In a society, sometimes we must sacrifice some freedoms and liberties in order to ensure people retain life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

This is why we enact many of our laws. and how we defend those laws.

Some of these laws are created in order to protect citizens from bearing the burden of high health care costs.

Examples include seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, Speed limits, licenses, permits, building codes.

Some of these laws are meant to protect children. Hence we have Minimum age laws

Educational institutions already can prohibit you from attending if you don't have certain vaccinations. Airlines can prohibit you from boarding if you carry a weapon or are deemed risky. concert and sports venues can exclude all manner of things in order to keep their customers safe. Same with places of employments.

A person's rights extend only as far as the next person's nose.

• Agree
Reactions: Mufflon
Protection.

In a society, sometimes we must sacrifice some freedoms and liberties in order to ensure people retain life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

This is why we enact many of our laws. and how we defend those laws.

Some of these laws are created in order to protect citizens from bearing the burden of high health care costs.

Examples include seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, Speed limits, licenses, permits, building codes.

Some of these laws are meant to protect children. Hence we have Minimum age laws

Educational institutions already can prohibit you from attending if you don't have certain vaccinations. Airlines can prohibit you from boarding if you carry a weapon or are deemed risky. concert and sports venues can exclude all manner of things in order to keep their customers safe. Same with places of employments.

A person's rights extend only as far as the next person's nose.
I don't trust the government to make the right decisions.

I don't trust the government to make the right decisions.
That leaves you with a few options.
You can just sit around and complain
You can work to make sure the decisions are good.
you can go live in a cabin in the woods.
or buy your own island.

Most people find it acceptable to forfeit some liberties for the greater good.

However there are plenty of examples where well meaning law makers blew it. but usually someones straighten them out. Slavery comes to mind. Stop and frisk is a good example.

But most of the time I am in favor of more restrictions. I would like to see more gun control laws, more EPA rules and regulations. things like that. Basically any restriction T**** was against, I'm for. And any restriction he was for - I'm against.

That leaves you with a few options.
You can just sit around and complain
You can work to make sure the decisions are good.
you can go live in a cabin in the woods.
or buy your own island.

Most people find it acceptable to forfeit some liberties for the greater good.

However there are plenty of examples where well meaning law makers blew it. but usually someones straighten them out. Slavery comes to mind. Stop and frisk is a good example.

But most of the time I am in favor of more restrictions. I would like to see more gun control laws, more EPA rules and regulations. things like that. Basically any restriction T**** was against, I'm for. And any restriction he was for - I'm against.

Image may contain: text that says 'GOVERNMENT REQUIRES DOMESTICATION. REFUSE. RESIST. REWILD.'