Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I heard about someone else dying from Covid. It is someone my in-laws know again like the last death. I met him once at a party and he had underlying health problems before he caught the virus. I'm not sure what age he was, probably over 65, I would say.

Very good article and it hit all the right points. It was nice that they had two different guys presenting the arguments pro and con.

Here in the US, the government will probably never need to make vaccines mandatory. we already have plenty of precedences about vaccinations. Schools, workplaces and residences are allowed to require vaccines. Mandatory might be too strong a word. Its more like, well, if you want to go to school here, or live here, or work here, please bring your proof of vaccination.

This article and others have drawn parallels with polio. Then they never needed to make the vaccine mandatory. but still eradicated the disease. I'm not sure if that is a fair comparison. Polio was very scary. It crippled children. Moms were in some cases begging for their children to be vaccinated.

Covid is less "visible". some people don't get very sick and some people don't have any (known) after effects. So some people think its a risk they can take.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Covid is less "visible". some people don't get very sick and some people don't have any (known) after effects. So some people think its a risk they can take.
This, plus the vaccine is "new".

My boss is like this. He doesn't want to be vaccinated. He advised his elderly parents though who're both in their 80s that they should get the shot.

There was another case of covid at work. Due to privacy issues, they don't tell us who it is. The manager calls you into the office and reads a pre-written statement. "Anyone who has been in close contact with this person, has been notified and required to stay home." Luckily I have not been affected by these cases. I try to figure out who it is by who is absent from work but it is pretty hard to do.

The newer, more aggressive mutations are concerning...
But not surprising. viruses mutate.
The thing would have been to aggressively quarantine right at the beginning to get rid of it. but now that it has speed so far and wide it, there is no way its not going to mutate. Cold and flu viruses are always mutating. the Spanish Flu still exists today but in various mutated forms.

So far they think the vaccines still work on the mutated variations. From what I understand about how the vaccine works, I think we can expect it to work on all mutated versions.

The jumping to other species is concerning...

We've have several cases at work, right now a couple are pretty worrisome, as they been gone longer than the normal 14 days,
My supervisors friend died of it after being on a ventilator, then an induced coma
Most were mild cases of healthy people, but the tiredness lingers
They've been more secretive lately, not giving locations out

We've have several cases at work, right now a couple are pretty worrisome, as they been gone longer than the normal 14 days,
My supervisors friend died of it after being on a ventilator, then an induced coma
Most were mild cases of healthy people, but the tiredness lingers
They've been more secretive lately, not giving locations out
That is unsettling. ☹️

Okay, so I don't hate Bud that much 😆
That was really nice!
I thought so too. I even teared up a little with the grandma. I think the neighbors with the fence/table might have been having buds. but not sure - so if there was product placement it was pretty subtle.

Reactions: Emma JC
COVID numbers are on the rise here in NYC. There were 32 deaths today in Brooklyn alone.

However, Cuomo is loosening the restrictions. He’s lifted the restrictions in orange zones and we’re getting indoor dining back.

I guess he just doesn’t believe in restrictions anymore.

I think it’s all kind of a bad idea, considering that there are more infectious variants in the city now.

I’m still staying home as much as possible. I’ve completely stocked up so I don’t have to go to the store much. I have a stack of canned goods - Amy’s soups, black beans, corn, pineapple. Six jars of tomato sauce. Twelve boxes of veggie burgers. Plus a cupboard full of pasta and grains.

The UK has some of the worst covid-19 stats in the world. Here are some stats from WorldOfMeters comparing the UK with a few other countries:

CountryDeaths per 1 mill populationTotal cases per 1 million population
UK1,49654,560
USA1,32378,786
Canada51520,068
Norway10211,378
Australia351,122
New Zealand5460

I read an article last night that said (I think) that Australia and New Zealand had had lockdowns that were long and difficult, and they had been very serious about enforcing hotel quarantine and testing for people arriving from abroad. But now they can reap the benefits from their sacrifice as they are virtually covid free.

The UK has some of the worst covid-19 stats in the world. Here are some stats from WorldOfMeters comparing the UK with a few other countries:

UK1,49654,560
USA1,32378,786
Canada51520,068
Norway10211,378
Australia351,122
New Zealand5460

I read an article last night that said (I think) that Australia and New Zealand had had lockdowns that were long and difficult, and they had been very serious about enforcing hotel quarantine and testing for people arriving from abroad. But now they can reap the benefits from their sacrifice as they are virtually covid free.

The UK has the 3 rd worst death rate in Europe (after Belgium & Slovenia) and is tailed by Italy and Spain. Moreover, each country has their own way of calculating a covid death versus another possible cause of death.
The very high mortality rate in the UK is most probably due to a multitude of reasons. I honestly don't think that we can compare any highly populated European country to both Australia or NZ. These two
countries (continents) are very remote and have a low density population.

They don't very often live in crammed style houses/flats like many Europeans do. Moreover, it was far easier to close their borders at the very start of the pandemic and frankly who travels DU for a day trip ? The smaller the population and the bigger the country, it will always be easier to implement a plan to prevent a pandemic spreading like wild fire. Most of the highly industrialised countries with the exception of perhaps Germany and some Scandinavian countries have done far better. I also wouldn't trust Russia's figures as I don't have faith in their government.

The huge problem with the UK is that it has a very high number of visitors even that just pop over for a day ; via the Eurostar or major airlines.
The second reason may be due to the government's conflicting information i.e. stay indoors but go out to restaurants and support the 50% discount. Stay indoors and don't mingle but you can have Christmas over a period of 5 days with up to 3 bubbles ect, ect.....

If the borders had been closed in January 2020 at the very beginning of the pandemic , I think that the number of cases wouldn't have been so high.
European and North America didn't do well in controlling the pandemic and we are now paying the prices with the high number of deaths.

There is now an ongoing argument between the Eu and the UK concerning the Asteznica vaccine.......another debate.

This new clash has been all over this morning's news :

The EU has urged pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca to supply it with more doses of its Covid-19 vaccine from UK plants, amid a row over shortages.

The company has infuriated the bloc by saying it can deliver only a fraction of the doses it promised for the first quarter of the year.

It blames production issues at European plants, but the EU says doses made elsewhere should make up the shortfall.

The EU has been criticised for the slow rollout of its vaccinations.

ttps://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55822602

Over here the vaccine roll out is not going to plan and there is not one single dose of the vaccine available in the entire county. The only leftover stock is for the military personal at a hospital in Marseille.
There are still many people +75 who can't even get an appointment to get their first jab. The anti vaxxers ares still going strong.......

When I was at the airport, they really did try to make it seem like flying is safe. They played a video of what they did to make it safe.
Dad flew a few times last year, I flew to help mom move. She needed my help. I just hope I didn’t make her or my bf sick.
There was a person walking behind me that said he got covid 2 months ago

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15

UK1,49654,560
USA1,32378,786
Canada51520,068
Norway10211,378
Australia351,122
New Zealand5460

I expected more, do people realize how much 1million people is?

I expected more, do people realize how much 1million people is?
That's true, but it still adds up to a lot of people. In the United States, over 440,000 people have died from COVID-19:

That's true, but it still adds up to a lot of people. In the United States, over 440,000 people have died from COVID-19:
I'm sure someone had done it. I think it might be interesting to compare number of deaths to other things. like auto accidents, heart attacks, and maybe some other epidemics.

Unless I lost a zero, Corona has killed 10 x more Americans than the Vietnam war. And the Vietnam war lasted ten years.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I'm sure someone had done it. I think it might be interesting to compare number of deaths to other things. like auto accidents, heart attacks, and maybe some other epidemics.

Unless I lost a zero, Corona has killed 10 x more Americans than the Vietnam war. And the Vietnam war lasted ten years.

Those stats are in the news from time to time. It ranks as very deadly.

When I did the math, we seemed to be experiencing a higher fatality rate (mean avg deaths per day) than than Civil War, which was pretty deadly.

Reactions: Lou