Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Just saw this on the Rachel Maddow show

When googling that I found this, it's an NPR interview. I'll listen to it tomorrow

CATHERINE MAS: The scale of deaths that we're seeing on a daily basis, it's like 9/11 every day. It's like a Pearl Harbor every day. I think that that's important. That kind of captures the lethality of this virus, a kind of reference point that helps us understand as a society what it is we're going through and what we need to do to respond to it.

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
We have got the UK variant of the virus now, and some places in Norway is in a lock down now. I live just a bit south of those places, so we allready have people from there doing "important" things here... We are working in a nice pace to hit 600 deaths now, so still way behind most countries. The borders to Norway is more or less closed now for a couple of weeks.

But the vaccination. It's just a castle of the air. We are getting almoust 1.000.000 doses less from AstraZeneca than promised. It goes so slow. We are not going to be finnished with the most important groups before September, so we won't get finnished this year... I'm "luckly" living in an area with high infection from time to time, so we get more vaccines than other cities... But we are 56.000 people here, and get about 500 doses each week. Just do the math...

We are getting almoust 1.000.000 doses less from AstraZeneca than promised.

Some things are... pretty shady when it comes to the vaccine and how it's being sold and delivered.

I still don't know though if it was the right decision getting vaccinated with the first generation vaccine. Anyway, I'm due for the second shot on Monday. Fingers crossed I'm going to be alright.

Some things are... pretty shady when it comes to the vaccine and how it's being sold and delivered.

I still don't know though if it was the right decision getting vaccinated with the first generation vaccine. Anyway, I'm due for the second shot on Monday. Fingers crossed I'm going to be alright.
The EU are looking into this luckly. I think that they has promised way more than they knew they could produce, to get the vaccine sold and get good contracts. And just think of the marked value of the companies that have been first with the vaccines...

The Pfizer vaccine is a rich country vaccine I think. I really doubt they can transport it in warmer and poorer countries, when it has to be held on -70 C. And now Pfizer and Denmark are in a fight, as Pfizer want to take more charged since they are able to get 5-7 shots from each glass (the safety amount they put in from the start...).

Some people say that the Covid virus will never dissapear, and I start to think they have right. It may be gone in the rich countries, with small outbreaks from time to time only (we will always have Karens that cause things like measels etc to come back), but in example poorer part of Africa, they still struggle with too many of the viruses that we have had vaccines for may years now...

If you think of how many that has been vaccinated now, and how few that has died and gotten really ill, it's promising. I would happily gotten it now if I could. I also think the mRNA based vaccines are promising (and the possibilities to tweak it if it's true), as they open up for more people to take it health wise. But it's a lot of economic and politics behind it too....

Reactions: Sax
My 13yo nephew has covid so my sister's whole household is quarantining and she isn't earning any income. She lives with my aunt and uncle who are both in their mid-60s so I really hope they don't catch it. My nephew is feeling a lot better these past few days though.

The vaccine roll out over here has come to a standstill and they are not taking any more appointments. Moreover, many of the +75 have still not been given a hope for a jab in the near future. Even GPs are not aware of what the plan is. I contacted the vaccination centre at the local council and they just advised me to check there website from time to time.

'''Vaccine procurement had been too opaque and the consequences were being felt across France. President Emmanuel Macron’s government had not heeded past lessons, he said.
“Forward planning is not a French quality. We saw it with masks, test kits and we see it again with vaccine doses,” he complained. “What was plan B?''

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-vaccines-idUSKBN29Y2OL

I also think the mRNA based vaccines are promising (and the possibilities to tweak it if it's true)
Yes, if they hold up to the promises we will maybe have an updated vaccine every year just like the flu shot.

And now Pfizer and Denmark are in a fight, as Pfizer want to take more charged since they are able to get 5-7 shots from each glass (the safety amount they put in from the start...).
I guess some idiot contract refers to "doses" and not to "bottles". One can obviously get six doses of vaccine out of a bottle with the right syringes. Sometimes I think hospitals should have kept their mouths shut about this. It's awful that there is now this discussion about "paying for a dose" and not "paying for a bottle". This is capitalism at its worst. Big pharma and the shareholders will get enough profit out of this without charging more.

Also bad (was to be expected though): black market and/or vaccine doses that simply vanished into thin air. Happened at the hospital I work at. So of course now everything has to be controlled even more than before.

Yes, if they hold up to the promises we will maybe have an updated vaccine every year just like the flu shot.

I guess some idiot contract refers to "doses" and not to "bottles". One can obviously get six doses of vaccine out of a bottle with the right syringes. Sometimes I think hospitals should have kept their mouths shut about this. It's awful that there is now this discussion about "paying for a dose" and not "paying for a bottle". This is capitalism at its worst. Big pharma and the shareholders will get enough profit out of this without charging more.

Also bad (was to be expected though): black market and/or vaccine doses that simply vanished into thin air. Happened at the hospital I work at. So of course now everything has to be controlled even more than before.

Probably yeah... "We add a extra amount for safety, but if you don't throw it away we will charge you for it".

Norway even threw away the extra amout. Official at least... (hopefully they didn't end in the trash but in the arm of someone that needed it that wasn't priority, like healthcare workers and people kept their mouth shut...).

We have finally gotten a survey over when we can expect to get vaccinated. And my age group will start to get vaccines in the beginning of July. IF everything goes as accorded, and we know allready it won't.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Other factors can also determine the risk of COVID-19 infection. “Use of private transport, lower-exposure occupations, smoking, vegetarianism and ‘A’ or ‘O’ blood groups appeared to be protective, using seropositivity as a surrogate for infection,” the paper added.
I'm blood type A, private transport, low-exposure occupation (I think), and veg'n! :ooal:

Take up smoking and you'll be as good as vaccinated ;)
Dr Greger did in fact give something about smoking a thumbs up, and what to do that's healthier instead :shrug:. It may have been beets--I have been eating a lot of beets.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC