Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Trump tweet: Another vaccine just announced. This time by Moderna, 95%effective. For those great “historians”, please remember that these great discoveries, which will end the China plague, all took place on my watch!

Perhaps “historians” will remember that US deaths are fast approaching a quarter million and there will be no stopping there. How many of those deaths were needlessly caused by terrible leadership? And by terrible examples of how to behave towards Covid? And all not just on his watch but by himself personally. What a bozo.

Roger.

Trump tweet: Another vaccine just announced. This time by Moderna, 95%effective. For those great “historians”, please remember that these great discoveries, which will end the China plague, all took place on my watch!

Perhaps “historians” will remember that US deaths are fast approaching a quarter million and there will be no stopping there. How many of those deaths were needlessly caused by terrible leadership? And by terrible examples of how to behave towards Covid? And all not just on his watch but by himself personally. What a bozo.

Roger.

Yeah, but “China plague?” This is 2020. Hate crimes against Asian Americans have been on the rise since the pandemic started. We can do better than that.

A lot of counties, including mine, are moving back into the red tier (the most restrictive).
After reading that Atlantic article, I'm not disappointed. It's probably a good idea. Err on the side of caution.

Although i don't understand it. I just checked our counties' data and we still have a very flat curve.

Things are still pretty normal here, but I’ve gone back into quarantine mode.

I’ve stocked up on hand sanitizer, toilet paper, soap, dish soap, shampoo, conditioner, olive oil, grains, beans, salsa, soy sauce, cereal, Rice Dream, veggie burgers, tempeh, masks, gloves, dog food, books, art supplies, chocolate . . .

I’ve also got a bunch of collard plants sprouting, so I can have fresh greens throughout the winter. If the ones growing now do well indoors, I’ll plant more of them. You can never have too many collard plants.

I’m honestly a little stir-crazy and stressed already. I’m dealing with it by sleeping too much, which is no good. I need to get more done.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia
ive kind of gone into quarantine mode too, we had that sudden lockdown in august which made me realise it could happen at any time..i just cant be sure. trying to keep some backups and buy things which mean i can entertain myself at home if need be.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I think it's a pretty funny video. However, there will always be the professional perennially outraged blabbing and screeching something about "mocking the victims" of whatever scenario.

I guess comments are deactivated for a reason, lol.

So both of the top contenders are about 95% effective. That’s good, yet very low for a vaccine.

They’ll obviously prevent deaths, but what will we do when everyone has been vaccinated with something that’s 95% effective? Keep wearing masks? Keep taking plenty of precautions? And I assume everyone will need to be re-vaccinated when we have a more effective vaccine, and there will be resistance to that.

Obviously, this is all under discussion, and it’s why we won’t return to normal for another year (estimated).

I’m posing these questions from a mostly rhetorical perspective. Our recovery will be slow.

Reactions: KLS52
So both of the top contenders are about 95% effective. That’s good, yet very low for a vaccine.

Nothing in this life is guaranteed apart from death and taxes.

In fact 95% is an excellent effectiveness.

Most routine childhood vaccines are effective for 85% to 95% of recipients (WHO).

Flu vaccination reduces the risk of normal flu illness by between 40% and 60%.

The people leading the fight against this awful covid virus are brilliant and all of them deserve Nobel peace prizes.

Roger.

Per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control:

The flu vaccine is 10% to 60% effective (effectiveness varies per year): Past Seasons Vaccine Effectiveness Estimates | CDC

The measles vaccine is 97% effective: Measles Vaccine.

The polio vaccine is 99% to 100% effective: Polio Vaccine Effectiveness and Duration of Protection | CDC

The tetanus vaccine is virtually 100% effective: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/tetanus.pdf

A vaccine doesn't have to be 100% effective in order to reduce hospitalizations and deaths at the society level (see pages 17-18 of this report, published by the World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/influenza_vaccines_plan/resources/Session4_VEfficacy_VEffectiveness.PDF ).

Last edited:
Right. I’m not sure how my post was interpreted to imply disrespect for the researchers or ignorance of the facts stated in the two following posts.

95% is low compared to the polio vaccine.

The vaccine for the common flu doesn’t need to be as effective because the flu is less deadly.

We have made amazing progress in a short amount of time.

My point was that these vaccines are only the beginning, and that the fight against COVID will continue.

Reactions: KLS52 and David3
Right. I’m not sure how my post was interpreted to imply disrespect for the researchers or ignorance of the facts stated in the two following posts.

95% is low compared to the polio vaccine.

The vaccine for the common flu doesn’t need to be as effective because the flu is less deadly.

We have made amazing progress in a short amount of time.

My point was that these vaccines are only the beginning, and that the fight against COVID will continue.
I didn't read any disrespect at all! I'm a numbers nerd, that's all.

I read about this just a few months ago, but my memory is very bad about numbers. So I can't actually state-specific numbers. the following is the best I can do.
if you have a vaccine that is Very effective you can actually make the disease extinct. Or close to it. The smallpox vaccine is Very effective. There is another factor, too. and that is the percent of the population that gets the vaccine. In the 70s almost everyone was vaccinated against smallpox and the disease is for all practical purposes eradicated. In the 70s the strategy was when there was a break out of smallpox, you first quarantined the area and then vaccinated everyone in the area.

the Polio vaccine is also very effective. and in the 50s for all intents and purposes, the entire school-age population of first world countries was vaccinated. Polio is also considered to be eradicated. (Raise you hand if you remember waiting in line at the nurse's office to get your sugar cube). Nowadays i don't think anyone in the US gets the polio vaccine.

The MMRV vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox) is also Very effective. However, there is a significant number of people who have not been vaccinated. Again I don't remember the numbers but when a Very high number of people are vaccinated you actually achieve herd immunity. For instance, if there is only one child in class who had not been vaccinated he is not at risk because there is no one he can catch the disease from. But when there are 10 people in the class who have not been vaccinated you have a potential outbreak - just waiting to happen.

Being that the Great Mask Debate is still going strong. Plus some people still refuse to get the MMRV vaccination - you would be naive to expect us to reach a Very high percentage of Covid vaccinations.

Reactions: Second Summer
i had the rubella vaccination, and when i was a child the others werent around as a vaccination. kids just got mumps etc....