Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

We’re looking at new restrictions and, basically, another shutdown soon.

More of my lockdown supplies arrived today - bulk hand soap, masks, and cereal.
How about the pup? With the first lockdown I got a bit panicky about the cats supplies! I guess at least dogs would be easier to cook for if needed!
Chewy even sent an email suggesting order now in anticipation of the holidays--that and the covid escalations is prompting me to stock up!

At work we got an email saying they would be doing an additional disinfecting of certain areas-as a precaution. Next line said they would be doing contact tracing if necessary 🙄. Can't remember the wording, but it was kinda funny-like we can't read between the lines. Just glad they're as proactive about the masks, distancing, and cleaning!

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
How about the pup? With the first lockdown I got a bit panicky about the cats supplies! I guess at least dogs would be easier to cook for if needed!
Chewy even sent an email suggesting order now in anticipation of the holidays--that and the covid escalations is prompting me to stock up!

At work we got an email saying they would be doing an additional disinfecting of certain areas-as a precaution. Next line said they would be doing contact tracing if necessary 🙄. Can't remember the wording, but it was kinda funny-like we can't read between the lines. Just glad they're as proactive about the masks, distancing, and cleaning!

I buy large bags of dog food from Amazon. And he is easy to cook for! I give him home cooked meals regularly as treats.

The main thing is just walking him enough during a lockdown. During the first one, things got a little crazy and I didn’t want to take him out after dark as much. I had to try to give him extra exercise indoors and in the backyard.

yes, things are heading in the wrong direction here in Canada also

I did a big shop yesterday which should hold us for a couple of weeks, except that I forgot to buy potatoes, so I will likely do one more run next week and then try to hunker down for a while.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

My county is doing ok but most of California is not.
I try to follow the news pretty closely but maybe not as much if I was working or was affected by a lot of this.
Plus I don't watch the local TV news or subscribe to a local newspaper.
but anyway I am sort of confused. We were in the yellow tier but they are either moving us to the red or purple tier. I didn't even know there was a purple tier. and I think we will have a curfew. Also, there are levels within each tier. So if I'm confused - how bad is the rest of the pop? So far I have found that the local paper's website has daily info and it is pretty clear. The color coding works well for fire danger but maybe they could use a different system for this. Letters or numbers maybe.

Oh. I just googled and found this nifty page. It's rather lengthy and detailed but it is clear.

Would I be inappropriate in suggesting that there is a correlation between how many Trump voters and the rate of infection in each county? Has anyone seen a map like that?
Ha! I just googled it and found at least four articles supporting my thesis.

Here is one.

• Sad
Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
I buy large bags of dog food from Amazon. And he is easy to cook for! I give him home cooked meals regularly as treats.

The main thing is just walking him enough during a lockdown. During the first one, things got a little crazy and I didn’t want to take him out after dark as much. I had to try to give him extra exercise indoors and in the backyard.

Thats what it was like here with the first lockdown...people were using the walking track in front of the house but i couldnt use the garden as the walkers would glare at me as if i had it. with the second lockdown people were different, they just ignored me, i think i spent the whole month doing gardening out there, even though it was winter still...

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
In response to post 2497:
I’m not sure how my post was interpreted to imply disrespect for the researchers ......
It was not interpreted by me in that way at all. The last sentence in my post was merely intended to finish on a positive high note. It can be soooo easy to take perfectly innocent remarks as personal slurs.

I’m not sure how my post was interpreted to imply ...... ignorance of the facts stated in the two following posts.

Not only did I intend to do just that, but, in as polite a way as possible, I intended to protest about the spreading of misinformation.

So both of the top contenders are about 95% effective. That’s good, yet very low for a vaccine.

Fake news. Not true. Not true. Not true. The vaccines are considered to have excellent effectiveness. Even if the effectiveness of the polio vaccines is taken as 100% that leaves the covids only 5 points behind.

If the effectiveness of most routine childhood vaccines (and I suspect that these form a very high proportion of those most given) is taken as 90% that leaves covid 5 points ahead. In the UK over 90% of parents take up the offer of free jabs for their children.

If the effectiveness of flu jabs is taken as 50% then the covids are ahead by 45 points. The fact that flu is less deadly than covid is completely irrelevant to the erroneous remark that 95% is “very low for a vaccine”. In England over 70% of over 65’s take up the offer of a free annual flu jab. This must make it also a high proportion of those administered.

Let me explain why I consider this matter to be so important. There is an anti-vac movement that appears to be on the rise. If people hear that the covid vacs are not very effective then some of them will use this as an excuse to not have their jab and that will be bad news for everybody.

Again, the vaccines are considered to have excellent effectiveness. Beware of fake news. The effectiveness is not anywhere near “very low for a vaccine.” Au contraire.

I have thought long and hard before writing this post because I really do not want to cause offence. However this is a serious business concerning life and death. I will now have nothing further to say on this matter.

Phase 2 of the Oxford University/Astrazenica vaccine trials is completed. They are particularly pleased with the results for the over 70’s (that’s me!). The final phase should be reported in December. Looks good.

Roger.

Reactions: Lou
Thats what it was like here with the first lockdown...people were using the walking track in front of the house but i couldnt use the garden as the walkers would glare at me as if i had it. with the second lockdown people were different, they just ignored me, i think i spent the whole month doing gardening out there, even though it was winter still...

People are in deep denial here. It’s the same mentality that’s behind driving drunk - “I’m smarter and tougher than most people, so I’ll be fine,” “Everyone else is doing it,” “It’s worth the risk,” “The government can’t be trusted,” etc.

We have an incompetent mayor. He’s a Democrat. He’s better than Giuliani. But he doesn’t seem to take his job seriously. He’s been doing OK with COVID precautions, but he’s generally kind of out to lunch, so people don’t trust him.

Reactions: Freesia
A coworker has tested positive as of Wed. The two other guys he works with were also absent. Certain people, we guess those he mentioned having longer contact with, got an email. Others were sent home to do an at home test and quarentine for the 6 days it should take to come back.No one understands the disconnect, as really, we've all been around him!
He was one the ones against the masks, and not taking covid seriously. He's been reprimanded about having off his nose several times

One of my favorite Science Fiction authors often writes about "Evolution in Action". Like the Darwin Awards.
Going maskless, or participating in large gatherings could be a good example of this. However, if you do get Covid you might live but spread it to people who may die. So it probably isn't a good way to improve the gene pool.

• Friendly
People are in deep denial here. It’s the same mentality that’s behind driving drunk - “I’m smarter and tougher than most people, so I’ll be fine,” “Everyone else is doing it,” “It’s worth the risk,” “The government can’t be trusted,” etc.

We have an incompetent mayor. He’s a Democrat. He’s better than Giuliani. But he doesn’t seem to take his job seriously. He’s been doing OK with COVID precautions, but he’s generally kind of out to lunch, so people don’t trust him.

its definitely a different vibes with different lockdowns. people glaring at me even though i always made sure i was at least 6 metres ( 18 feet) away from the walkers.. they were closer to each other... but the second lockdown it was fine. there are ways people could take things more seriously, like the people i always see at the supermarket or mall who clearly have a bad flu with coughing and for some reason are out anyway... 🤦...

• Friendly
I just found out my sister's best friend (I have known her for a long time also) lost her father to Covid this week. :( He was 87 and this was in Iowa which is a "hot spot" right now. His wife also has it but is doing ok so far.
Wow, sorry Chryssie. It seems it’s really starting to hit closer to home now. More and more people we know are testing positive. Thankfully I don’t know anyone who has died.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I just found out my sister's best friend (I have known her for a long time also) lost her father to Covid this week. :( He was 87 and this was in Iowa which is a "hot spot" right now. His wife also has it but is doing ok so far.
I'm sorry, Chryssie. It's really picking up, unfortunately. My parents just found out that one of our good friends has to quarantine because her co-worker tested positive. Fingers crossed, because my dad was over our friend's house helping her with some yard work. At least they were outside with masks on, so hopefully nothing will come of it. We've had some close calls in my family, but so far no one has tested positive.

I'm sorry, Chryssie. It's really picking up, unfortunately. My parents just found out that one of our good friends has to quarantine because her co-worker tested positive. Fingers crossed, because my dad was over our friend's house helping her with some yard work. At least they were outside with masks on, so hopefully nothing will come of it. We've had some close calls in my family, but so far no one has tested positive.

That is sad news. I hope your dad will be OK.

One of my pals in my residence also has a colleague who has tested positive. He came into her office the day before he was signed off. Moreover, she spotted him in the neighbourhood having a walk with his family.

So, it looks like many people just don't play by the rules and spread the virus regardless of the fact they should be protecting others.

I also had another Covid test this morning.