Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

US COVID deaths have topped 180,000.

We're seeing a slight increase here in NYC, but it's still nothing compared to April.

I've been following the vaccine news. I bet we'll have one by early 2021. I'm speculating on what will come next - celebration, recovery, long-lasting effects on people's health and finances, and how some people will probably appreciate going out more than before whereas others will want to keep staying home. Plus, once it's safer to protest again, I bet there will be some protests about how the whole thing was handled.

• Friendly
  • Sad
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
There have been pockets of upticks in cases in the past week or so in my state. They are attributing it to people getting lax about social distancing and mask wearing, along with people traveling and then coming back and not quarantining. In Danbury, they said they had a cluster of cases from a family barbecue of maybe 15 people. They are advising people in that town to avoid gatherings with all but immediate family members or those you live with. I know coronavirus fatigue has set in, but this thing sadly isn't over.

There have been pockets of upticks in cases in the past week or so in my state. They are attributing it to people getting lax about social distancing and mask wearing....

Same thing here. family get-togethers of more than 10 people where they don't wear masks and don't social distance seems to be a common thread.

Well up until today I didn't personally know anyone who had tested positive.
Almost everyone I know thinks they had it. or knows someone who thinks they have it. but those of us who actually got tested -tested negative. I have never been tested. But I was sick in mid-march with a low fever - for about a week and thought i had it.

My sister has a housekeeper, Anna Maria. Since March she has been paying her not to come to the house. Anna has a room in my sister's neighborhood so they still see each other regularly. I saw her regularly while i was still at my sister's - in and around the neighborhood while walking Bugsy. She even volunteered to clean my apartment for free when I was preparing to return home. The logistics defeated me and then we had the lockdown.

Anna is 65 and has multiple health concerns. she is also a cancer survivor. Although not the sharpest tool in the shed, she has been super careful. But last week her son surprised her with a birthday party and he invited more people than he should have. Several of the party-goers have become ill. Right now Anna is real sick. She was hospitalized and is now on a ventilator.

I should have an update later.

I know some of you have friends and family who have tested positive and even been hospitalized. but this is the first person I actually know who has. (up until now its mostly been 3rd-degree people. )

I wonder if Nickelodeon still thinks this is a hoax.

So sorry to hear about Anna. I hope she recovers with no ill affects afterwards.
My cousin had it back in March/April. She was hospitalized and on a ventilator four times in a two month period. She did end up with congestive heart failure but is doing ok now. She was compromised with early stage emphysema so that likely played a role in her having such a hard time with it.

I think the whole hoax thing is not so much that the virus isn’t real but more that it’s not as serious as it’s made out to be. Or so some people believe.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
I think the whole hoax thing is not so much that the virus isn’t real but more that it’s not as serious as it’s made out to be. Or so some people believe.
Yes, more than a few people believe that it's "just the flu." But this is much more than a respiratory illness.

@Lou I hope Anna will be OK. Sending lots of healing vibes her way.

@Lou I also hope Anna will recover. The only people I know personally that had it are younger, a couple in their mid-thirties who had mild symptoms, and another woman in her 40's who had a pretty bad case of it but wasn't hospitalized. Some one at work tested positive but since they kept their identity secret, I don't know how bad it was.

US COVID deaths have topped 180,000.

We're seeing a slight increase here in NYC, but it's still nothing compared to April.

I've been following the vaccine news. I bet we'll have one by early 2021. I'm speculating on what will come next - celebration, recovery, long-lasting effects on people's health and finances, and how some people will probably appreciate going out more than before whereas others will want to keep staying home. Plus, once it's safer to protest again, I bet there will be some protests about how the whole thing was handled.
There are 16914 covid-related deaths in Russia (that have been confirmed by the end of this day). And 2401 deaths - are in SPb only. SPb is a Petri dish for covid.:worms: We all feel like Guinea pigs here, i don't know why. :yuck: :tinfoilhat:

So I used my fancy Origami mask and I tried blowing out a lighter. And couldn't. Afterwards, I realized that I had a coffee filer in it. I have been using the coffee filter a lot because of the poor air quality we have. I have lots of masks now and I think I'll replicate this experiment with those later. And maybe some with and without filters. But for now, I feel better.

I have the paper masks provided by work, as well as a couple cheap boxes of 50 I just got from amazon. I tried all three and could not move the lighter flame. I tried a common black nylon kind of mask, two layers, that I was provided at my last job--blew it right out!
I have to wear the mask at all times over the nose at work and have gotten accustomed to it. It only seems to bother me if I become anxious and then it really sets me off-coughing, hard to catch my breath. Another reason for me to practice mindfulness

I'm going to set up a birthday candle and an iPhone stand and film the next couple of experiments.

My Only issue with masks is that sometimes my glasses fog up. but i have found that if my glasses are really clean I don't have that problem.

The glasses fogging up is a very common complaint! I read a tip that if you put a bit of dish soap on your lenses and rinse them, that will help. I do that all the time now and it works some of the time but sometimes I still get fogging up.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
The glasses fogging up is a very common complaint! I read a tip that if you put a bit of dish soap on your lenses and rinse them, that will help. I do that all the time now and it works some of the time but sometimes I still get fogging up.

I've heard the dish soap thing too. but I think the real key is squeaky clean lenses. Lens cleaner + lint-free cloth. I've also heard you can spit on your glasses.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
This concept might be worth a political cartoon.

so its been said that the CoronaVirus has put a spotlight on Racial Inequality. Pro sports seem to have put a spotlight on the coronavirus. (I think players being quarantined and games being canceled provides a very clear picture of how contagious and serious it is. ) Can we say that pro sports is now shining a light on BLM, too.

I picture three boats in the night all shining lights on each other.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val