Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

Really struggling with this mask. Not making me feel great, and i feel like there must be something wrong with me as everyone else i saw today looked so comfortable in theirs..

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
It’s not comfortable especially in the heat. That one time we went to Walmart with the n95 it was torture, he wanted to take his time looking for a laptop fan after we got food until I said let’s just order online. Felt so good taking that mask off. People don’t wear their mask right half the time because it’s not comfortable

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Val
Just a suggestion regarding the masks.... try not to hurry when you are shopping or commuting to the shops. Back when I first started wearing them, in April I was so stressed by the situation that I found I also was hyperventilating, fogging up my glasses, not being able to focus easily etc. Now, before I go out, I have a clear plan in mind, a list of the places I need to go and the items at each place. I don't hurry when I am inside the stores and I don't get upset by others who get in my space etc. If the line is long then I just stay calm and try to smile with my eyes at people. I also do not try to bag my items inside the shop. I pile everything back in the cart and take it out to my Jeep and bag it as I put it in the Jeep. I can do that without the mask on and take my time.

I did make myself a mask with a center seam and rejected it immediately as it was just too close to my face/nose. I either wear the first one that I hand sewed which has lots of space inside or one of the blue ones. The worst part for me now is just having to smell my own breath all the time... lol.

@Freesia - I am so sorry you are finding it so difficult to adjust and hope you are able to find a comfortable solution - stress is a funny thing and can cause all kinds of issues

Emma JC

the problem isnt stress. I didnt mind wearing it, it felt kind of like a cuddly balaclava, and it is winter here so overheating isnt much of an issue at the moment.

The problem is that i would feel drowsy and faint after wearing it for a while and would have to sit in my car and recover afterwards...

i looked online to see other people having similar issues and i found this, this is kind of like what happened to me, i have neurological and some vestibular conditions too like this author.. except for her it for some reason triggered her vertigo, for me i wasnt dizzy, more faint and like I needed to sit down..

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Val

I think for every anti-masker article I can dig up 10 pro-mask articles.
Check out any one of the many youtube videos of nurses and doctors measuring their oxygen and carbon dioxide levels while wearing masks. In one video the nurse put on like 5 masks - on top of each other - and still had the same 02 and CO2 levels.

Obviously masks are safe. Many people wear them 8 hours a day or more. Health care workers have been wearing masks for years and some of them have asthma too.

Anyway, I got a new mask last weekend and I really like it. Wore it outside on a walk today. and it was warm and muggy. Plus we have a lot of smoke in the air today. i even made a coffee filter insert to help with filtering out the smog.

I don't know if these guys deliver to NZ but there are other similar masks on the market that you can get. They are called as a group: Origami Masks.

I've been getting out and walking around the city. Manhattan is full of FOR RENT signs and furniture piled up on the sidewalks from people moving out in a hurry. The exits seem to be two main groups of people - those who have the resources to move and are choosing to, and those who lost their jobs and couldn't afford to keep accumulating rent debt. The eviction freeze didn't reduce people's rent; it just postponed the due dates.

I've started stocking up on basics in case things get worse again - rice, beans, soap, etc.

Last edited:
They made pet ownership illegal in north korea and they’re going to have the dogs go to restaurants that sell dog meat. That’s really sad, I would hide my dog even if I did get in trouble for it. No way I’d hand over my dog to become food.
Another thing is people do feed their dogs a vegetarian diet, so if they’re doing this over a meat shortage there’s your alternative there.
I am so glad I never ate deer or rabbit growing up. I hate that morals go out the window when taste buds are involved. People try to justify eating dog because they taste good. Not a good enough reason to end a life.

Last edited:
I've been getting out and walking around the city. Manhattan is full of FOR RENT signs and furniture piled up on the sidewalks from people moving out in a hurry. The exits seem to be two main groups of people - those who have the resources to move and are choosing to, and those who lost their jobs and couldn't afford to keep accumulating rent debt. The eviction freeze didn't reduce people's rent; it just postponed the due dates.

Oh, wow that is interesting. On YouTube a couple I follow say that the land near where they live is suddenly being bought up by people. They live off grid in the middle of nowhere in Arizona.

I have set up alerts for properties by the coast and I'm getting about 15 a day. it does seem like a lot of people want to/are having to move here too.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
I find the mask makes me feel very claustrophobic almost? Not sure how else to explain it. Luckily I haven't had to wear one much as we get food shopping delivered & I just occasionally pop in to one for bits & pieces or run in to the post office for example.

Anyone else working from home?

I see a lot of pros to wfh - I just wish i had a desk area as it's very uncomfortable not having a proper working area. A lot of people must have the same issue.

I just got an email today from a property website and they said it is the most busy time to move in 10 years. They said a lot of people seem to want to move away from cities to the countryside.

Oh, wow that is interesting. On YouTube a couple I follow say that the land near where they live is suddenly being bought up by people. They live off grid in the middle of nowhere in Arizona.

I have set up alerts for properties by the coast and I'm getting about 15 a day. it does seem like a lot of people want to/are having to move here too.

Yeah, people always panic and expect things to get worse. That could happen, but it's more likely that the pandemic will resolve and cities will become good places to live again.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Emma JC
Update... was feeling pretty down about everything. One good thing is after some research i happened upon some people online who have various illnesses, some can wear masks and some cant. It ws great talking to those who couldnt as i could talk to someone who was having similar problems to me...

I went out and tried the mask again today, gas station was ok, didnt feel great after the supermarket but i went to the organic shop after that and it was after that i felt really ill..

The people i spoke to online were talking about alternatives i can try. i am thinking of getting a visor and seeing if i am able to use that.

im also wanting to try some different fabrics, see if i can come up with something that works. but the fabric store is shut so i have to wait
we are still in lockdown but next week we might have another review so that is what i am going to act on.

Last edited:
btw Safeway, is one of the stores that carries Breyer's non-dairy ice cream

Emma JC

I stand corrected. Safeway does have the Breyer's non dairy frozen dessert. I think i orriginally disregarded it because unlike the other Non-dairy ice creams it comes in a larger container.

I stand corrected. Safeway does have the Breyer's non dairy frozen dessert. I think i orriginally disregarded it because unlike the other Non-dairy ice creams it comes in a larger container.

yes, and that is why it is such a great product - so much less expensive than the others and the taste is still amazing

Emma JC

Reactions: Val and KLS52
yes, and that is why it is such a great product - so much less expensive than the others and the taste is still amazing

Emma JC

I still want to try the Peanut butter flavor but I had the Oreo cookies and it was ok. It's not going to be my favorite. It is like half the price of brands like Ben and Jerry's. I'm starting to think that I may just stick to my own homemade concoctions for dessert.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
so, told will be in level 2 next monday... im not sure but possibly masks will not be advised under level 2. but at least it gives me time to find some alternatives in case the advisory returns at some point in the future. having shops open will help too as i can buy things, etc.