Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I am in Auckland. We went into level 3 wednesday mid day. it is now friday night 9:40pm..

We are now told that we will be staying in level 3 an extra 12 days. This is lockdowm but we can go out for essentials and also takeaway food. and get things delivered.

the rest of New Zealand is in level 2 which means everything open but restricted people in places amd social distancing, possibly masks too.

I am in Auckland. We went into level 3 wednesday mid day. it is now friday night 9:40pm..

We are now told that we will be staying in level 3 an extra 12 days. This is lockdowm but we can go out for essentials and also takeaway food. and get things delivered.

the rest of New Zealand is in level 2 which means everything open but restricted people in places amd social distancing, possibly masks too.
Yeah, i remember that you're in Auckland. (Unghshu is dumb but not crazy...or vice versa...or both dumb and crazy, i dunno).😁 This is weird that i didn't realize the LD had started on Wednesday...:???: Take care.:hug:
P.S. it would be great if our authorities imposed some major restrictions on at least SPb, but no one bothers. It's 2 weeks to school year start left, and it's still ~160 new cases a day in the city (and about 20 deaths daily). LD would be nice, i think...:sigh:

I wrote that Auckland part, more for the benefit of other members who might not know I am in Auckland and that it is in a different level than the rest of the country, it can be confusing.. :) :dog: :pickle:

Also a problem is i keep wondering if it started on Tuesday or Wednesday, the whole day was a horribly panicked blur... we woke up and realised we were just hours away from lockdown so it was a huge mess, including me waiting 1.5 hours to enter the doors even of the supermarket..

even when i went out yesterday, people are considerably more panicky than the last lockdown, and we were not asked to wear masks for the last one either, but this time we are ( though it hasnt been declared mandatory).

Maybe you could end up with another one in SPb or your city, we didnt imagine we would be in a second lockdown now. People are even calling it "Lockdown Season Two" "not as good as the first lockdown"...

I wrote that Auckland part, more for the benefit of other members who might not know I am in Auckland and that it is in a different level than the rest of the country, it can be confusing.. :) :dog: :pickle:

Also a problem is i keep wondering if it started on Tuesday or Wednesday, the whole day was a horribly panicked blur... we woke up and realised we were just hours away from lockdown so it was a huge mess, including me waiting 1.5 hours to enter the doors even of the supermarket..

even when i went out yesterday, people are considerably more panicky than the last lockdown, and we were not asked to wear masks for the last one either, but this time we are ( though it hasnt been declared mandatory).

Maybe you could end up with another one in SPb or your city, we didnt imagine we would be in a second lockdown now. People are even calling it "Lockdown Season Two" "not as good as the first lockdown"...
Yeah, SPb is a big city, with population over 5398000 people (for Jan.1st, 2020), and it continues to grow. And the fact that almost all clinics and hospitals now treat covid patients is not good for other multiple patients who don't know where to treat their chronic diseases, e.g. cancer. Just imagine: the total number of cases in SPb is 33684 (for today). Death toll for SPb only - is 2225. And they are sending all kids to school!😳 This sounds like a violation of basic human rights.😡
My hometown has population of ~149150 (without the suburbs), and 320000+ with suburbs. I remember in May, there were 1800+ contaminated in Kolpino,- i guess, nowadays there are much more... Authorities are only re-opening things, and the growing numbers of infected are not going to stop them, because federal help to SPb's and Kolpino' s budget is coming to an end, unfortunately.
Before the LD in SPb and Kolpino (~on March 20th), i saw a video conversation. There were 3 people: a tv host and 2 members of SPb administration. They were saying that basically, they didn't know anything about how the city would be managing the LD. They said that SPb's food storages have a 2-months supply of food and essential items in case of a complete siege (like a military blockade during a war). And i thought: "ok, food supply won't last for 2 months, because people are panic-buying, but then what?" My concerns were partly justified, because at first, the shelves became empty, and later, retailers stopped buying and carrying products that are considered unnecessary (who on Earth decides it??). Later, basic food and hygiene items appeared again, but people are still afraid that they will be deprived of something. At least, most manufacturers are gaining the previous amounts of released production. I have apprehension for the future too. Mom had been always taking the mickey out of me because of my tendency to hoarding and making stocks of food, but now she's not so sure about it. She realized that all food and other items that i'd manage to get before the LD, turned out very useful for everybody. I only regret i didn't buy more food and items. But i was very limited in money then, and mom didn't want to help me in stocking up on everything, because she thought that i was just doing my normal crazy thing, a.k.a. being a mean schizophrenic, ...while i was stocking up on grains and legumes, which were successfully devoured by her and Liza later. Ugh... :pout: 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia

We were in the same situation when the first LD started. We don't have these levels of LD here (like "shelter in place", etc.), and our authorities didn't say anythings beforehand. Only Putin pronounced his speach on tv, which sounded more like an urgent plea to stay home (but everyone knew that was a direct order). Our citizens managed to stock up on something because they'd been watching tv and seeing what was going on in other countries. If i remember it correctly, NZ was one of the first countries to establish restrictions, and i realized that the same fate was waiting for us (due to the Auckland radio that i was listening night and day at that time). So i was morally prepared and i wasn't as panicked as other citizens. Most of them were trying to stock up on items and food on the last day before the LD.
Officially, it was obligate to wear masks and gloves(!) everywhere, even if you're just having a walk,- so many dishonest cops were catching some citizens in SPb, but here, in Kolpino, no one ever bothered, and no citizens ever put on anything protective. When i was having my evening walks, i used to avoid crowded places and central streets, so no police dudes could see me. They actually saw me a few times, but no one approached me, thankfully.

Yes, we were amongst the first to go into lockdown, in late March. Not sure what this new one will be like as it is early into it, i have to go out again tomorow so will get more clues as to the atmosphere...

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I was just witness to 'merican stupidity at its finest! I went downtown to go to Berryville for an Italian ice. In the middle of downtown, on the street corner which is always a place for protesters, were dozens of anti-mask, trump supporters. A man on a bullhorn was yelling about 1st amendment rights and freedom and there were many anti-mask signs and pro-trump flags. :( Many people were walking around without masks, though many were wearing them as well. I walked through the protest on my way to Berryville but went around the block to avoid them on my way back! Who knows how many of those unmasked idiots are infected! :worried:

I was just witness to 'merican stupidity at its finest! I went downtown to go to Berryville for an Italian ice. In the middle of downtown, on the street corner which is always a place for protesters, were dozens of anti-mask, trump supporters. A man on a bullhorn was yelling about 1st amendment rights and freedom and there were many anti-mask signs and pro-trump flags. :( Many people were walking around without masks, though many were wearing them as well. I walked through the protest on my way to Berryville but went around the block to avoid them on my way back! Who knows how many of those unmasked idiots are infected! :worried:
Blinsky potrokh, i would make a decent circle too in order to avoid the crowd. They can spread covid 20 meters around them, if it's in form of aerosol.:tinfoilhat:

Reactions: Emma JC and Freesia

The thing about the masks is:

Wearing one does more to protect other people from being infected by you than the other way around.

So it's not a matter of personal safety, like wearing a seatbelt. It's a matter of keeping other people safe.

The anti-maskers are trying to avoid taking responsibility for preventing other people from getting sick.

Responsibility. Respect for older people in your community. Those are conservative values.

So what's going on there? They are not garden variety conservatives as we knew in the past. They're recklessly endangering people's lives.

So this isn't a Republican party kind of thing. It's something far, far, far worse.

We really need to wake up to that.

Update.. went out today. picked up some stuff from a couple of small stores which is ok. But like Friday, i ran into problems at the supermarket where i had to wrar it for a longer period. Towards the end of the shop i started to feel dizzy and sick and my head hurt. Im kind of worried now, it seems like i cant tolerate mask wearing except for short periods. Not sure what to do, stay home? i would if i wasnt shopping for 3 retired people who dont go out much durin the lockdown.

I was able to shop for thm and me during the first lockdown but the mask causes issues for me. It seems this is not so common as many seem to be able to wear them without issues. it happened with both the paper and the cloth mask.

• Friendly
  • Sad
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
Update.. went out today. picked up some stuff from a couple of small stores which is ok. But like Friday, i ran into problems at the supermarket where i had to wrar it for a longer period. Towards the end of the shop i started to feel dizzy and sick and my head hurt. Im kind of worried now, it seems like i cant tolerate mask wearing except for short periods. Not sure what to do, stay home? i would if i wasnt shopping for 3 retired people who dont go out much durin the lockdown.

I was able to shop for thm and me during the first lockdown but the mask causes issues for me. It seems this is not so common as many seem to be able to wear them without issues. it happened with both the paper and the cloth mask.

I would keep experimenting until you find something that works.

What you described sounds like an issue with breathability. There are fixes for that. I would google it to get ideas and then test until you find a solution.

Reactions: Freesia
I would keep experimenting until you find something that works.

What you described sounds like an issue with breathability. There are fixes for that. I would google it to get ideas and then test until you find a solution.

I think the problem is with me as i have some health issues, which become a problem under this situation. I dont think anything will help.... i might go to the pharmacy next time i go out and get some advice (easier than to get to a doctor under lockdown) .

I was early to my appointment at my GP and had to wear a mask for about 35 minutes and I felt dizzy like I was hyperventilating at one point. I look at other people and they seem to be fine wearing them. I wasn't sure if it was anxiety or just because it was very hot.

Existing prejudices have been intensifying during the pandemic. Here's a pretty thorough article about the phenomenon:

I've been observing this first-hand since the beginning. Obviously, immigrants and people who appear to be Asian are being targeted a lot.

The kind of negativity that people sometimes direct at me has also increased.

Fortunately, there is also a reaction. People are aware of this issue and many are being more compassionate.

I keep trying to be part of the solution.

I was early to my appointment at my GP and had to wear a mask for about 35 minutes and I felt dizzy like I was hyperventilating at one point. I look at other people and they seem to be fine wearing them. I wasn't sure if it was anxiety or just because it was very hot.
While I have found it's anxiety that's causing me to feel like I'm hyperventilating and short of breath, it's no solution. I only say that because while going mad wanting to rip it off I'd been distracted, and after a time of having my attention diverted, I was ok. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to distract yourself when you need it!
I just got a second box of disposibles to have on hand. The first box I had cost more, but I was thinking there wouldn't be much difference. Well, this box is very thin and paper-y. I really want a better cloth mask. One is getting fuzzy, the other is pretty thick, but fits really well

Thats kind of how I felt except it was more of a drunk feeling, i felt faint, and "out of it" and when driving home I felt a little like a DUIed driver as my mind was not really focusing on the road well... i felt sick for a couple of hours at home after...

Frustrating as i saw plenty of people at the supermarket wearing them like it was no big deal, i dont get why only i felt like this, perhaps they are all really healthy.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Raven and Val
I wasnt anxious under the mask.. it was kind of the opposite feeling, like being in a sensory deprivation tank. Made me feel more drowsy than anxious though i was anxious when i realised i was not feeling well.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
I wasnt anxious under the mask.. it was kind of the opposite feeling, like being in a sensory deprivation tank. Made me feel more drowsy than anxious though i was anxious when i realised i was not feeling well.
Are you wearing a homemade cloth mask or the surgical type masks? I ask because I feel like I got an allergic reaction to the surgical mask when I wore it months ago. So now I’m afraid to try it again.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Freesia
It happened with both the cloth mask and the surgical mask. The surgical mask was a bit better in terms of letting some air into it.