Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

I wear cloth masks exclusively, most are handmade. I work 5 hours a day in a mask and even off the clock we have to wear them. Plus all stores require them. You can take them off to eat or drink. We have fans blowing on us at the checkout and I will lower the mask and let the fan blow on my face for a few seconds periodically. This helps a lot! I have become accustomed to wearing them and I can breathe just fine. I do not have any medical conditions or anxiety issues so I can only speak for myself.

KLS... What kind of allergic reaction did you have with the surgical mask?

I wear cloth masks exclusively, most are handmade. I work 5 hours a day in a mask and even off the clock we have to wear them. Plus all stores require them. You can take them off to eat or drink. We have fans blowing on us at the checkout and I will lower the mask and let the fan blow on my face for a few seconds periodically. This helps a lot! I have become accustomed to wearing them and I can breathe just fine. I do not have any medical conditions or anxiety issues so I can only speak for myself.

Yes i see many of the checkout workers are wearing them, and other workers. I think my medical issues i have are being more noticable by this, maybe it is a sign i need to pay better attention to my health.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Are you wearing a homemade cloth mask or the surgical type masks? I ask because I feel like I got an allergic reaction to the surgical mask when I wore it months ago. So now I’m afraid to try it again.
Do you mean the N95? I remember having to wear one at work for paint fumes and it was so sealed it left a ring and itched like mad! I get that from almost anything that is fitted, socks, cuffs, hats...

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Do you mean the N95? I remember having to wear one at work for paint fumes and it was so sealed it left a ring and itched like mad! I get that from almost anything that is fitted, socks, cuffs, hats...
No it was the other ones, the blue surgical type. It was more of a reaction in my lungs. They burned. But that’s been happening lately with other things. Like the new carpet and furniture.

• Sad
  • Friendly
Reactions: Val and Freesia
No it was the other ones, the blue surgical type. It was more of a reaction in my lungs. They burned. But that’s been happening lately with other things. Like the new carpet and furniture.
You know, I was just thinking they're all alike, but nope. I've had funny reaction with those. I had bought a good box from amazon that were fine. I've had them other places though and I coughed and coughed. Now I got another box from amazon and they're really thin. These say 'non medical use'.

Oh, new flooring is horrid! And pressboard! 😱. At my old job our lockers were pressboard and even after years still had that chemically treated smell. I never used it

I hate so much when I;m in a store with a mask and smell cologne. It makes me so aware of whats in the air (and makes me cough or sneeze of course)

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Yes, new stuff often has chemicals added.. this is why i often prefer old or second hand stuff, dont know why new stuff seems to have these issues. Even if i go into a plastic store there is a heavy plastic smell..

I can't remember if I said this but a nurse on another forum said you have to get the N95 professionally fitted or it isn't worth using at all. My ones clearly don't fit my face properly as they keep riding up and hitting me under my eyes.

I got the washable ones instead but they were the ones that made me feel like hyperventilating. I felt like I was breathing too hard and that I was sucking in the material into my mouth. *Sigh*

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Freesia
My washable one has filter and layers, that was partly why i think it made me feel worse than the paper one... still both did anyway. maybe i should get a beekeepers suit or something?

I can't remember if I said this but a nurse on another forum said you have to get the N95 professionally fitted or it isn't worth using at all. My ones clearly don't fit my face properly as they keep riding up and hitting me under my eyes.

I got the washable ones instead but they were the ones that made me feel like hyperventilating. I felt like I was breathing too hard and that I was sucking in the material into my mouth. *Sigh*
It’s true about the fitting. When I worked at the health department we had fittings for the mask and were given a few to keep for just such situations as Covid19.

Reactions: Freesia
I have to wash my masks for tomorrow :fp:
I really like the cloth ones that have the curve to fit high on your nose, and low under eyes- but that seam drives me nuts
The pleated ones come too close to my eyes, and never seal enough to not fog my glasses.
I'd buy a few if I one that was just right. I don't see this improving till sometime in .. spring? :shrug:
Anyone else noticing the rise in liquid soap prices? and scarcidy? I picked up what I thought was an organic liquid soap at the discount store--turned out to be lotion 🙄

I like the masks my friend Susie makes. I have had to make small adjustments to the elastic a couple of times by shortening them just a tiny bit with a few hand stitches. Other than that, they fit better than some of the other types. I have a few with the adjustable nose piece also. I still like Susie's best though. If you are on Facebook, you might want to check hers out. She does ship.

I like the masks my friend Susie makes. I have had to make small adjustments to the elastic a couple of times by shortening them just a tiny bit with a few hand stitches. Other than that, they fit better than some of the other types. I have a few with the adjustable nose piece also. I still like Susie's best though. If you are on Facebook, you might want to check hers out. She does ship.
Those are what I like, it's that middle seam that bugs me. I'm easily bugged by clothing stuff

• Agree
Reactions: Freesia and Val
It’s true about the fitting. When I worked at the health department we had fittings for the mask and were given a few to keep for just such situations as Covid19.

She /he also said that if your weight changes by even a few pounds that the masks will need to be fitted again for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
I thought masks offered at least some protection for the person wearing them. Most people don't wear masks, and the people who do don't wear it right half the time. They either don't cover their nose, or they don't cover their nose OR mouth.

Reactions: Freesia
Re soap, I purchased some bar soap back in March/April because I couldn’t get the liquid. I figure soap is soap even though the bars aren’t as convenient. I just didn’t want to get caught without any.
I was lucky to find a liquid refill at Amazon last month but it was pricey.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Val
Everyone at my new job wears a mask, all day, mostly the disposable ones. By afternoon I mine got so fuzzy, and made me want to cough, and use my inhalor, which I left in my car. I did manage to recover pretty well. It's so easy to want to use the inhalor when it's just anxiety!
I need to get a lighter weight washable mask that won't fuzz

Re soap, I purchased some bar soap back in March/April because I couldn’t get the liquid. I figure soap is soap even though the bars aren’t as convenient. I just didn’t want to get caught without any.
I was lucky to find a liquid refill at Amazon last month but it was pricey.
I got liquid soap in January, because i realized that people were coming back from Europe and that there could be some contaminated. I don't remember the date when the first infected person was detected in SPb (it was an Italian student), but very soon there were many of infected. In February, people started panicking and buying soap in bulk: the whole soap aisles in Okey mall were empty (employees were trying hard to refill them). I got 3 big decent packs though. I was using that soap during my walks before and during the quarantine. Still a lot of soap left,- i might use it at work! I just apply it on hands, rub hands and the soap dries up. After that, i mostly don't feel it, a.k.a. don't feel that there is something sticky on my hands (while there is some!)

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52