Health Issues The Everything Covid 19 Thread

The glasses fogging up is a very common complaint! I read a tip that if you put a bit of dish soap on your lenses and rinse them, that will help. I do that all the time now and it works some of the time but sometimes I still get fogging up.

Before donning diving masks we scuba divers have the practice of spitting into them and spreading it around with our fingers. 100% effective. No fogging up for the entire dive.

I don’t really think I could recommend this method to the general public as they would no doubt find it a tad socially unacceptable. A tiny amount of washing up liquid works almost as well. The great advantage of spittle is that it is always readily available.

Roger.

Before donning diving masks we scuba divers have the practice of spitting into them and spreading it around with our fingers. 100% effective. No fogging up for the entire dive.
Yes, Unghshu confirms that it works😁: that's exactly what i do when i dive in Black sea (my dad taught me when i was little). It 100% works in salty water, but i'm not sure it will work the same way in lakes, e.g.
P.S. When it comes to foggy glasses, i just breathe on them, and then wipe the glass with whatever i can find. Sometimes i need it at work.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
So, the level 3 lockdown was lifted this morning, now we are in level 2 which means things open, but restricted numbers allowed into things.

Had to go out this morning, noticed that around 75% wearing masks i one place and 85%ish in the other place... went to get my protein powder and to the pharmacy.. was a weird experience .... had a talk to the woman at the pharmacy and i have the face shields now, and the protein powder... still waiting on the mask directive. masks are still suggested /encouraged... it could go either way with them.

I used to disinfect everything that came into the house. Now I quarantine the pantry items and just disinfect the stuff that goes in the frig. the stuff that goes in the freezer, I just put in the freezer. From now on I will disinfect the surfaces of the boxes.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
So, not feeling well today. im kind of grateful to the mask as it showed me a few weeks ago that some stuff was going on with me?.. been dizzy al morning . not sure but i might have some sort of vertigo... my mother has it too...

Oh no...I had vertigo years ago and it was not fun. I hope yours isn’t too bad and that you feel better soon. Mine seemed to go away as mysteriously as it came. I had bouts of it, off and on, for about 18 months and then never again after that. :hug:

So, not feeling well today. im kind of grateful to the mask as it showed me a few weeks ago that some stuff was going on with me?.. been dizzy al morning . not sure but i might have some sort of vertigo... my mother has it too...
That is a nasty feeling... (((Hugs))). :hug: I'm not sure if my opinion means anything, but, based on my long-term experience of fighting various revelations of polyneuropathy and mere damage to the nervous tissue, i can say, that very often, vertigo and dizziness are related to the damage to myelin sheath and to the cerebellum (cerebellar ataxia). These conditions might be very subtle and most people don't even guess about the damage, because luckily, cells of the nervous tissue get repaired very well, especially oligodendrocytes. But when it becomes prevalent and when it doesn't let you lead your normal life,- it's a reason to try and ask your neurologist and maybe get tested, because these symptoms can indicate more serious and life-threatening conditions. (I'm not saying that severe cerebellar ataxia is not life threatening,- i used to have it and it almost ruined my life, but Gliatilin saved me, a.k.a. Choline Alfoscerate). I have to say it again: excessive dizziness can point at anything. Sometimes MRI is required to exclude the worst (i did an MRI after i got out of the hospital, because my neurologist wanted to exclude brain tumors that could have been causing my vertigo and its reason, ataxia). Nowadays, i experience slight ataxia periodically, ~once in 2 months, and i just take some Gliatilin. But of course, my way of life (like food, sleep, stress, access to fresh air, physical activity, etc.) influences these ataxia exacerbations (their frequency). But surprisingly, despite my healthy lifestyle in summer, i felt more distinctive ataxia symptoms than i used to have in winter. It was probably because of the lack of sleep (sister, nephew, mom, BIL,- all this shouting crowd downstairs every morning🤦‍♀️).
Why am i telling you all this stuff? In a nutshell, (as a rule), a neurologist's consultation is needed when experiencing dizziness.
Ugh, sorry, i was going to write a couple words, but it didn't work, as usual.😆 I'm so nervous as i'm going to the city ...again, to have my medical examination done (for work). I'm afraid of the gynecologist...:tinfoilhat: And i'm afraid of public transportation with all that "zoo" (a.k.a. swarming humanoids). I guess, i'm afraid of everything.:hide:

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia
I wore my mask into a shop yesterday and when I left the shop I took it off and breathed out and realised that was the problem for me. I am almost holding my breath while I wear it as I must be worried about breathing in germs from other people. I couldn't work out what the issue was and why I couldn't wear it for long periods of time without feeling like I was hyperventilating!

I wore my mask into a shop yesterday and when I left the shop I took it off and breathed out and realised that was the problem for me. I am almost holding my breath while I wear it as I must be worried about breathing in germs from other people. I couldn't work out what the issue was and why I couldn't wear it for long periods of time without feeling like I was hyperventilating!

Just a thought.... maybe wear it around the house for increasingly longer periods of time, just to get used to it. That way you won't find it so strange and so strangling when you have to wear it in public. Make sure you have one that is comfortable and not constricting but that does the job properly. I do find the simple non-surgical ones to be the easiest to wear. I wear it even within the parking lot of the grocery store and hang it off my ear while driving.

Emma JC

Oh no...I had vertigo years ago and it was not fun. I hope yours isn’t too bad and that you feel better soon. Mine seemed to go away as mysteriously as it came. I had bouts of it, off and on, for about 18 months and then never again after that. :hug:

Yes it disnt look like fun when my mum had it, (((((hugs)))) glad you dont anymore. i might have an ear infection as i have sensitive hearing and wear earplugs in some situations..

I used to get vertigo on and off too. It's horrible. I had a sinus and ear infection that wouldn't go away. I first got vertigo after I had mumps.

((((hugs)))) im also glad you dont have it now... yes it is a strange thing, i really need to get to the bottom of it..

That is a nasty feeling... (((Hugs))). :hug: I'm not sure if my opinion means anything, but, based on my long-term experience of fighting various revelations of polyneuropathy and mere damage to the nervous tissue, i can say, that very often, vertigo and dizziness are related to the damage to myelin sheath and to the cerebellum (cerebellar ataxia). These conditions might be very subtle and most people don't even guess about the damage, because luckily, cells of the nervous tissue get repaired very well, especially oligodendrocytes. But when it becomes prevalent and when it doesn't let you lead your normal life,- it's a reason to try and ask your neurologist and maybe get tested, because these symptoms can indicate more serious and life-threatening conditions. (I'm not saying that severe cerebellar ataxia is not life threatening,- i used to have it and it almost ruined my life, but Gliatilin saved me, a.k.a. Choline Alfoscerate). I have to say it again: excessive dizziness can point at anything. Sometimes MRI is required to exclude the worst (i did an MRI after i got out of the hospital, because my neurologist wanted to exclude brain tumors that could have been causing my vertigo and its reason, ataxia). Nowadays, i experience slight ataxia periodically, ~once in 2 months, and i just take some Gliatilin. But of course, my way of life (like food, sleep, stress, access to fresh air, physical activity, etc.) influences these ataxia exacerbations (their frequency). But surprisingly, despite my healthy lifestyle in summer, i felt more distinctive ataxia symptoms than i used to have in winter. It was probably because of the lack of sleep (sister, nephew, mom, BIL,- all this shouting crowd downstairs every morning🤦‍♀️).
Why am i telling you all this stuff? In a nutshell, (as a rule), a neurologist's consultation is needed when experiencing dizziness.
Ugh, sorry, i was going to write a couple words, but it didn't work, as usual.😆 I'm so nervous as i'm going to the city ...again, to have my medical examination done (for work). I'm afraid of the gynecologist...:tinfoilhat: And i'm afraid of public transportation with all that "zoo" (a.k.a. swarming humanoids). I guess, i'm afraid of everything.:hide:

(((hugs)))) sorry that you had it. yes i will be going to the doctor if i dont feel better.. right now though it is problematic as we are still in partial lockdown, i, waiting until level 1 so that it is easier to go there.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
((((hugs)))) im also glad you dont have it now... yes it is a strange thing, i really need to get to the bottom of it..

Have you tried the benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) exercises to see if they help? You could probably find them online, although vertigo is a symptom of something else underlying so you should probably try and get a telephone appointment with a GP just in case.x

Have you tried the benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) exercises to see if they help? You could probably find them online, although vertigo is a symptom of something else underlying so you should probably try and get a telephone appointment with a GP just in case.x

i will look into the exercises. i kind of do t hqve a gp at the moment as they left the practise, and when i looked it up onlime the clinic had been turned into a testing station and the clinic staff moved up the road... so i will have to get a new gp..

I think that is how I got rid of mine. It was so long ago. But I do remember reading up on it and doing different exercises with positioning my head. I did have a prescription for medication but I’m so overly sensitive...I tried taking only half the recommended dose and it pretty much left me comatose for 16 hours. It was awful. I couldn’t function on it at all.

I think that is how I got rid of mine. It was so long ago. But I do remember reading up on it and doing different exercises with positioning my head. I did have a prescription for medication but I’m so overly sensitive...I tried taking only half the recommended dose and it pretty much left me comatose for 16 hours. It was awful. I couldn’t function on it at all.

Yes, I tried the medication but it didn't work at all.

I realised that I got slight vertigo the other day when I looked down into my hand bag. It was just after I left a store and took off my mask so I might have the same thing as Freesia. How annoying. Why would wearing a mask make you get vertigo? I don't understand.

I really don't want to get that back again as I had it for years on and off.