The Democrats USA (2018-2020)

Bloomberg's argument is probably that the democrats (depending on who wins) are too far to the left to win majority support, but that argument doesn't seem to be backed up by the current polling numbers. Warren or Sanders please, they can beat Trump.

I don't think we need anyone new. In fact we need some of the candidates that are consistently stuck at the bottom of the polls with 2%-3% to bow out and thin the field.
Add to that, Biden has strong support among African Americans, which Bloomberg doesn't have and won't get.

The Democrat with the strongest support among African Americans will win the nomination.

Is it me or is Hillary Clinton making a calculated effort to say the kind of comments that keep her in the news all the time? It looks strategic, just coming out periodically on slowish news days with insubstantial but headline worthy clickbait but not quite controversial enough to damage her.

I just see it as very unlikely that she'll run. She would have to provide a convincing reason why she could beat Trump this time, and what she would do differently that would materially change the dynamics from 2016.

If all she could do is point to Trump's low overall favorability rating, most people won't be convinced.

It wouldn't surprise me if her candidacy would energize and mobilize Conservatives.

She might be trying the do they want me ploy

Is it me or is Hillary Clinton making a calculated effort to say the kind of comments that keep her in the news all the time? It looks strategic, just coming out periodically on slowish news days with insubstantial but headline worthy clickbait but not quite controversial enough to damage her.
Wasn't there a deadline that just passed that will make it difficult for new candidates to enter the race at this point? I believe Bloomberg snuck in at the last minute?

I just see it as very unlikely that she'll run. She would have to provide a convincing reason why she could beat Trump this time, and what she would do differently that would materially change the dynamics from 2016.

If all she could do is point to Trump's low overall favorability rating, most people won't be convinced.

It wouldn't surprise me if her candidacy would energize and mobilize Conservatives.

Déjà vu ?:rolleyes:

1575453315209.png

Indeed .... a truly leftist candidate might come up with the idea to increase taxes on the super rich ... :rolleyes:

I don't know how many candidates are officially still in, but really we are looking at Biden, Sanders, Warren, Bloomberg, Buttigieg.

The current odds here: US Presidential Election 2020 Democrat Candidate Betting Odds | Politics

Warren was the favourite some months ago, but not any more. According to the bookmakers Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are the top two now.

It's funny how someone goes up or down in the polls/bookmaker odds without doing any great, without any scandal or gaffes, or announcing new policies, just because of some vague sense of momentum or how well they are doing.

I think the Democrats have totally failed to even try to learn anything strategically speaking from 2016. Overall I think as usual the left wing have the better and more just policies but no sense of strategy.

I think what the Dems need now is unity. As many as possible of the candidates that are currently or were previously in the race should unite behind one candidate, and that candidate should announce that the other candidates will have positions within the new administration. It should be like a Legion of Superheroes to boot that Trump out of the White House.

I am not optimistic that any of the Democrats left in the field can defeat Trump.

The Democrats are failing again with their strategy (if they even have one) and blowing the huge opportunity to defeat the inept Trump. Too much infighting. The impeachment looks a mistake at this point, since it was a pointless exercise that just made them look not focused on national unity (although I have said it was worth doing at one stage I think, and have been a but back and forth on this). No-one has figured out how to make Hillary go away for good this time.

They have nothing to address their failures to represent the working class in the rust belt, and focusing too much on social justice issues rather than every day struggles could be a vote loser.

One good news is that Joe Biden, for now, looks on the way down a bit. Looks like Bernie is the favourite to win the nomination at present.

But Trump has been reported at 49% approval rating (according to one study - it may be an outlier - let's see the next results). If it's true, then that could be enough to win.

The impeachment looks a mistake at this point, since it was a pointless exercise that just made them look not focused on national unity (although I have said it was worth doing at one stage I think, and have been a but back and forth on this).
I dunno that the impeachment was a mistake - they just need to spin it the right way, i.e. Trump was acquitted because of a Republican cover-up where they refused to even have a single witness testimony. I agree with everything else you said!

National party leadership isn't helping its cause by trying again to stick it to Bernie Sanders and the progressive wing of the party. They should have learned from 2016 when they tried to shove Hilary Clinton down our throats. I know at least two Bernie supporters who voted for Trump because they were so angry with the DNC support for Clinton and its effort to thwart Bernie's campaign. The party leadership is ignoring huge swaths of voters with this strategy. This is why I despise the whole party-before-country approach and why I refuse to register in any party.

Reactions: KLS52