The Companion Animal Gripe/Annoying Things Thread

My friend is stubborn. His opinion is that we need more walks, longer walks, and that he can control the walks by lying down and refusing to move. And he can make additional walks happen by whining.

I timed the amount of time we spend on walks. 3.5 hours per day. So he's getting plenty of exercise.

It's fine for him to express his opinions, but he needs to stop lying down and refusing to move when he wants to go in a different direction or stay out longer.

So I'm using treats and patiently teaching him that the lying down thing won't work. But I do listen to him and try to take him for long walks, going where we both want to go.

I love this thread. It is my type of humor.

======

@ NYC Gardener - In defense of your friend. He is making sure that you are getting enough exercise.

Dog and Cats like to check up on their human companions throughout the night to make sure you are safe. It takes lots of effort on their part.

Being licked by a dog is one of the greatest feelings in the world. It seems like half the time, the human companion gets upset when their dog companions lick me. I assure the human companions that I am germ and flea free.

The two brother cats are both lickers, it's hard to make them stop. They prefer toes but hands will do
Nobody sleeps on my head anymore. My Silvie did. I miss that cat so much. We were only supposed to foster her because she was so angry in the cage the rescue had at the store. We bonded so fast I didn't even pretend to bring her back for the adoption weekends.
Cali always sleeps by my side. Mimi at my feet. Sophie on me, trying to kneed out my kidney till comfy. they're the three amigos

I love this thread. It is my type of humor.

======

@ NYC Gardener - In defense of your friend. He is making sure that you are getting enough exercise.

Dog and Cats like to check up on their human companions throughout the night to make sure you are safe. It takes lots of effort on their part.

Being licked by a dog is one of the greatest feelings in the world. It seems like half the time, the human companion gets upset when their dog companions lick me. I assure the human companions that I am germ and flea free.

He is! I'm very lucky to have my own fitness coach and personal trainer.

He's also a body guard, a friend to many in the neighborhood, and he's smart and funny and wants to cuddle all the time.

My friend is having a weird week. When we go for walks, he argues about the direction we should go in by pulling the other way and just refusing to move if I disagree. He also lies down randomly, tries to enter stores - all kinds of weird things.

I realized it's because: 1) It's gotten warmer. He wants to enter random buildings because he feels the AC from the door as we walk past. He wants long walks, but he also gets tired in the heat. 2) He's not allowed on the beaches, so he's not getting to run in the sand and dig holes.

So I'm changing his exercise routine. We're doing long walks early in the morning and after sunset. We're doing backyard play time and short walks during the day. And I'm going to find a place for him to run.

During Wednesday I was away from home for the most part of the day, so the cat was all alone. She was sluggish when we played, but I didn't think too much of it. After all, she is very old and has medical conditions, plus the summers heat is probably affecting her.
But in Thorsday, she lost her appetite and couldn't play almost at all, so I got really worried. I did a health check, and she seemed to be feverish, and a bit constipated. Eventually she did eat well, and today she is back to normal.
It's so good to hear her voice and see her tail up again.
I wonder, if she got sick worrying about being left alone?

We have an Vet appointment for monday morning... After that we know more.
I can't live without her. I love her too much.

Rime has become spoiled. Big time. Who knew this would happen??

When he goes for walk from home, he wants to decide where to walk. And the other day I decide we did our morning walk clockwise, and he was grupmy the entire walk...

Rime has become spoiled. Big time. Who knew this would happen??

When he goes for walk from home, he wants to decide where to walk. And the other day I decide we did our morning walk clockwise, and he was grupmy the entire walk...

Yeah, my guy is like that too. I'm responsible for spoiling him. But he's been getting a real attitude on walks lately. It's like he's a puppy with no leash experience. He just lies down and refuses to move, or pulls in the wrong direction.

I keep rewarding him with treats when he's good, and making it clear that I'm the one who decides where we go. He has improved a bit.

Yeah, my guy is like that too. I'm responsible for spoiling him. But he's been getting a real attitude on walks lately. It's like he's a puppy with no leash experience. He just lies down and refuses to move, or pulls in the wrong direction.

I keep rewarding him with treats when he's good, and making it clear that I'm the one who decides where we go. He has improved a bit.

They are funny that way. Annoying. But funny.

Rime does that with his ball sometimes. And when I try to take his ball, he runs away with it growling. Not very good use of time at practice. :p

They are funny that way. Annoying. But funny.

Rime does that with his ball sometimes. And when I try to take his ball, he runs away with it growling. Not very good use of time at practice. :p

My pup does that too! (He's four, but I call him a pup.) He doesn't fetch. He plays keep-away. He wants me to chase him and then play Tug to get the ball back.

Let's make this clear: I'm not blaming the companion animals, this is all on me. But it still causes me some discomfort.

I'm very sensitive to sound. And sometimes when dogs bark, it is really uncomfortable.
I use earmuffs sometimes when I know I'll be encountering an noisy canine.

Let's make this clear: I'm not blaming the companion animals, this is all on me. But it still causes me some discomfort.

I'm very sensitive to sound. And sometimes when dogs bark, it is really uncomfortable.
I use earmuffs sometimes when I know I'll be encountering an noisy canine.

It should be more social accepted to wear earmuffs when you are around some people too!

My friend is stubborn. His opinion is that we need more walks, longer walks, and that he can control the walks by lying down and refusing to move. And he can make additional walks happen by whining.

I timed the amount of time we spend on walks. 3.5 hours per day. So he's getting plenty of exercise.

It's fine for him to express his opinions, but he needs to stop lying down and refusing to move when he wants to go in a different direction or stay out longer.

So I'm using treats and patiently teaching him that the lying down thing won't work. But I do listen to him and try to take him for long walks, going where we both want to go.

Do you play fetch with him? My JRT can walk for miles but playing fetch wears her out after about 10 minutes. :D

Reactions: Chryssie and Val
It should be more social accepted to wear earmuffs when you are around some people too!
Agreed.
If you are close friends with that loud person, you two could maybe have a talk about it? Maybe they won't get offended.
Or then use earplugs: there are some that are almost invisible to other people, especially if you have long hair. You can still hear people talk when wearing those.

Do you play fetch with him? My JRT can walk for miles but playing fetch wears her out after about 10 minutes. :D

Kind of. He doesn't fetch. He plays Catch Keep-Away Tug. I throw the toy. He catches it. I chase him. I grab the toy and have to pull it out of his mouth. Then I throw it again.

If he's in a place where he can dig, the game also involves stopping to work on his holes and sometimes burrying the toys. He likes to run laps where he stops at each hole and digs, then keeps running.

He's very much a terrier and not a retriever.

Agreed.
If you are close friends with that loud person, you two could maybe have a talk about it? Maybe they won't get offended.
Or then use earplugs: there are some that are almost invisible to other people, especially if you have long hair. You can still hear people talk when wearing those.

I can't ask 99% of the people to stop talk to me. And I don't have hair either, so no way to hide earplugs. But earmuffs will be a good sign for "leave me alone" too. :D

My dog just accidentally clawed me in the eye. I don't think I'm seriously injured, but it hurts and my eye keeps running.

We have a couch urinator again. It has been a few months. We put one of those spikey, plastic carpets on the spot it was happening (after cleaning and spraying) and it started back up again the past couple days. It is kind of hard to pinpoint the one cat out of the 3 that is doing it. We don't catch the offender in the act.

• Sad
Reactions: KLS52