The coffee Lovers thread

Actually I paid $19.49 in 2017.

And $19.99 in January 2018.

So my current one will be 4 years old. Technically the filter since I broke the carafe.

I have another type that didn’t come with a carafe. You put it directly over your cup. I didn’t like that one. The coffee was never very good.

I have a plastic pour over the cup thing, and a lot of the natural paper filter, cause I found them on a big sale! Now I'm thinking I'll try it out again to see if I should offer them on the local buy nothing site! I have so many things I should offer there.
It did take a while for coffee to drip with that, probably the same as my coffee maker, but having no heating plate was the issue

Coffee is one thing I've been paying more for than I used to. I saw a 32 oz can of Maxwell House in ad for $3.50 :neutral:. I spend $5 something for 12 oz. I wonder what I'd think of that now? I have become spoiled, now using fair trade Honduras whole bean from Aldi, and German blend ground.
I tried Aldi regular medium fair trade and thought that tasted very meh.

Reactions: KLS52
Interesting. My eight ounces of water yields 6 ounces of coffee pretty quickly…within a minute. I wonder if that’s why I have to use so much coffee. I definitely heat my creamer up but it’s mainly because I like a good amount.

I have a Bodum from Amazon only I broke he carafe so I use a tall plastic container to catch the coffee. I also use a paper filter. I probably don’t use the correct size coffee grounds but I’ve perfected my coffee at this point and I’m not willing to mess with a good thing.

Wow looks like the price went up. But it’s been a couple of years. I know I did not pay $30.

Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker with Permanent Filter, 1 Liter, 34 Ounce, Black Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LOCYKIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0STHAWQEZ939KKZ2TPYX
Thats like me. I had a Chemex until I broke it. I went and got a new one but I broke that one too. (just dropped it while washing - Chemexs are pyrex glass.

After that I just used a really cheap plastic Mellita for years. Supposedly the thing with pour over coffee is that you shouldn't just dump the water onto the grounds.
This page has the instructions - but there are other techniques.

Anyway, the OXO has a water reservoir to just dump the hot water in. It has been designed to mimic the proper pour over technique. However it is sort of slow. which gives the coffee time to cool off.

• Informative
This is the best pb milk that I found in CA. By adding a dash of Nut Pods (unsweetened) it made a tasty cup of milky coffee. I did try a few of some supermarket creamers but didn't like them. Not only is it difficult to buy unsweetened products but they all seem to contain
thickeners.

1642348416850.png'You would think adding mushroom extracts to the top-rated oat milk would diminish its malty sweet taste. Or alter its buttery-smooth texture. Or limit its ability to whip up frothy, full-bodied lattes. Something. But…nope.

Mushroom Oat Barista Blend steams, foams, and sips just like the original, but it’s hiding a secret cache of mushroom power. Each serving delivers certified organic mushroom extracts, hand-harvested from greenhouses that get real sunlight and fresh air. It stars Cordyceps and Lion’s Mane mushrooms, revered for centuries as powerful superfoods.'

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I bought some bargain basement coffee and I think I like it better than the expensive shade-grown free-trade coffee I had been buying at TJs.
anyway I have been drinking it black.
then I got this article today.

Reactions: Chryssie
Has anyone tried sprouting coffee? Should I make another thread on this?

I "discovered" how to sprout coffee and roast it at home in my skillet. As well as other things...

Because I dont use an oven I went crazy with my shallow cooking lol. And I learned how to dry roast with no oil all sorts of legumes to turn into nuts. Lentils, chickpeas, mung beans, whole peas, black eyed peas, even Pigeon peas. And of course soybeans. I want to try Adzuki beans one day..

Anyways, I learned how to roast all those legumes with No oil on my skillet. As well as this variety of sweet field corn. You soak them (the legumes also) beforehand so they rehydrate.. then you roast them until they dry up. It takes quite a bit of time but it is So worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: silva and KLS52
yeah for me.. I like the idea of a complete protein creamer/milk to go with coffee...

Like combining grain+legume ....

Today I had my coffee with PB2 w/ Cocoa and oatmilk.

So here's how to sprout coffee: you soak green unroasted coffee beans in water till they rehydrate and sprout. it takes like overnight or 8-12 hrs. But I like doing it during the day so I can look through the coffee beans very carefully to throw out any defective beans. Also I learned that Specialty beans have the least defects. It helps to know this because you'll be wanting to throw away a Lot of defective coffee beans once you see just how much more defects you can catch after soaking the coffee beans...

So after soaking and sprouting, takes about 8-12 hrs... And sorting the beans from defective ones... You have to dry them. I do this on low heat on my skillet, well medium heat. but I put the skillet on and off the heat carefully heating up the beans so that they dont burn... until they form no more condensation after I leave a spoon on top to let them cool down.

After drying them, then they are ready to roast like normal. Roast beans like normal but .. you might want to learn or accustom yourself to the way these new sprouted beans roast vs the non sprouted ones.

Anyways.... that's my method of sprouting coffee beans.

I guess hardly anyone sprouts their coffee beans. I was looking for companies that do this.. and there is one it seems. Called Reborn Coffee. Never tried it.. but it's interesting.

• Informative
Reactions: silva
Did you know coffee is a good source of Niacin. Along with peanuts... peanuts probably being number one.

Plus tobacco but i dont think there is much study on that...

also a good source of D-Mannose. But apparently you have to make Green coffee for that.

Also i learned how to make green coffee more milky.... so it's as if one is milking the coffee bean. Well, after soaking the unroasted coffee beans.. you Pasteurize them with hot/boiling water, and then drain and rinse. After that, blend the coffee beans with Cold water (so it doesn't get hot as you blend them)... Then you cook that mixture until you've made your green coffee. Which is more like a milk...

I also like to soak my cacao beans. But cacao is harder because it is fermented most of the time.. and you cannot find whole raw cacao beans with skin intact. The skin is very important to the cacao flavor as well as the theobromine...

Well it is best if you can find whole raw cacao beans... I found them once bought from a cacao seller, and he dried them just for me. But the problem was it very very dirty... so I had to soak them and clean off the pulp, and continue soaking them until they fell to the bottom. Then roast them like normal. Without the skin.. there is no Chocolatey flavor characteristic of chocolate, and hardly if any theobromine. You have to roast them with the skin after soaking them, so that as you roast.. the flavors from the wet pulp go into the cacao beans.. and they will often make a popping sound.

Anyways, that is Unfermented cacao. Hard to find. As for fermented.. well I would peel the skins off with a knife, and then soak them, and then roast them. But like I said, it has none of the flavor reminiscent of chocolate. Or hardly if any.

So yeah... I wish they could sell raw unfermented cacao Whole with skin intact. Or atleast dried. Would be interested in that..

Unfortunately I think it's a hard thing to do, that's why it's so rare. Supposedly they say it ferments from the tree.. but I dont know. They could also say that to want to control the entire process.. and not let you know that maybe there's another way. I've even thought one could lactoferment cacao anaerobically in water... Does one Really need to aerobically ferment it to remove the pulp? Or is it only because they're doing such large amounts. Because I found it very easy to wash off the pulp with just running water, and I would massage or scrape it off with my fingers.. not nails. Very easy to do. Atleast after soaking. Maybe that's what they needed to do.

I think it's just hard to get them to dry in whole form with pulp and all. But IMO.. like I said if they just maybe wash off the pulp like I suggested... maybe it takes soaking... not necessarily fermenting. then maybe one can dry it a bit easier... or cleaner. I guess the fermenting just makes it easier... without fermentation one would need to use one's hands.

Anynways... getting off topic. But yeah.. cacao is another thing that you can actually make a Milk out of ... Imagine you could make chocolate milk without any base milk....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: silva
So here's how to sprout coffee: you soak green unroasted coffee beans in water till they rehydrate and sprout. it takes like overnight or 8-12 hrs. But I like doing it during the day so I can look through the coffee beans very carefully to throw out any defective beans. Also I learned that Specialty beans have the least defects. It helps to know this because you'll be wanting to throw away a Lot of defective coffee beans once you see just how much more defects you can catch after soaking the coffee beans...

So after soaking and sprouting, takes about 8-12 hrs... And sorting the beans from defective ones... You have to dry them. I do this on low heat on my skillet, well medium heat. but I put the skillet on and off the heat carefully heating up the beans so that they dont burn... until they form no more condensation after I leave a spoon on top to let them cool down.

After drying them, then they are ready to roast like normal. Roast beans like normal but .. you might want to learn or accustom yourself to the way these new sprouted beans roast vs the non sprouted ones.

Anyways.... that's my method of sprouting coffee beans.

I guess hardly anyone sprouts their coffee beans. I was looking for companies that do this.. and there is one it seems. Called Reborn Coffee. Never tried it.. but it's interesting.
Can you describe the taste of roasted sprouted coffee beans?

I do like beans, esp pintos or black beans, seasoned and dry sauteed in a cast iron skillet. Or chickpeas roasted in a slow oven
Adzukis would be interesting. I still have a bag from over a year ago. I forget what I didn't like, or maybe they didn't cook right?

The taste of sprouted coffee is very clean. TBH since I haven't done it in a while.. and I only Just got to roasting it well about twice. So i dont know too much about different roast levels and their flavor profiles. It just tastes like normal coffee I guess, only cleaner. Maybe brighter. I have only played around with roasts up to the second crack and no more.

The taste of the coffee is very clean perhaps because I sort the beans out so well.. and I also change water the frequently as I'm soaking them... So in the end there is very little pulp left so you dont really have to take out the chaff....

I know Im roasting it well though.. as I've roasted it bad before, or underroasted.. and you'll feel it in your stomach if its bad. It doesn't bother me at all now that I know how to roast it well. One tip though on roasting.. atleast with the type of stove I have.. which is the hot plate kind of stove... I move the skillet forwards and backwards to keep the beans moving but also on the heat all the time.

As for roasting beans.. I dont think pintos or black beans would work to make nuts out of them. I've tried Pintos.. and those are not the type of beans that work to make nuts.. IMO. Atleast unless maybe you use some type of oil and you deep fried them. Black soybeans work. i bought 25lbs of organic black soybeans from Eden Foods just for that.

I thought adzukis would work because they look like mung beans. Another one that looks like mung beans are the urad dals which look like black mung beans...

Black eyed peas are probably the crunchiest... they have good iron content. And are balanced in their omega 3 to 6 fatty content. And guess what... they are also a complete protein! Or, on nutritiondata.com they have a high amino acid score of 117. I always look on that website for amino acid scores.

Pigeon peas are good also, but they shd be roasted with skins on. Atleast.. if you roast them like I do without oil. Same with the peas... and being very careful with the peas because they pop and fly everywhere. It's best to roast them on lower heat.. but it's so worth it!

Good pigeon peas are hard to come by. I was able to source some organic dried pigeon peas straight from a garden on Amazon. All the rest of the pigeon peas were not good quality. I guess maybe one can try to roast the frozen ones... but TBH I dont trust them. They have holes in all the packaging and I could never find them in dates either so I stopped trying.

Same with the corns... they go flying everywhere. But a person can roast them on lower heat... drying them out.. for a longer period of time and it works.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and Peanuts. How could I forget them. I also learned how to roast them too dry without oil from soaking. Takes a while but it is so worth it!

Jungle peanuts have arachidonic acid. And I think maybe sprouting them is key.. maybe eating them raw as well.. to get the most of this amino acid. I would sprout them and dehydrate them at low temperatures.. wow that would be awesome.

I used to always bring my own cup to Starbucks and tried to encourage my friends to do the same. when I forgot I bought their semi -reusable plastic cup. It cost $1 and you could reuse it 100 times.

During the pandemic I had to stop bringing my own cup to starbucks. but that wasn't that big of deal - during the pandemic I hardly ever went to starbucks. Lately I have been going once a week and bringing my own cup (made from recycled plastic).

So this new thing is not going to change anything for me but I think its great news.

Interesting but I just see the people with mega bucks giving the $1 deposit and not bothering to return the mug. I see it all the time…if you have the money you will gladly pay not to be inconvenienced.

My work got the fanciest coffee machine I can imagine :woo:
Each cup gets its own fresh ground beans, and there's like a dozen or more fancy options
I take mine plain, a light/med roast. It is so strong I use my ceramic mug and pour it into a larger stainless Contigo travel mug and add hot water
It is very good!
Now I don't sit around in the morning at home drinking coffee, I just get ready and go and have it there :up:
Not only will I save money on coffee, I've been getting there a half to and hour early for more overtime. Which I need for all reasons.... 🙄

I bought a three pound can of Kirkland dark roast coffee for what it costs me for 1.5 lbs of Peet’s. And I’m so happy that it tastes good. It’s not Peet’s but it’s still very good. I will but it again on my next trip to Costco.

Interesting but I just see the people with mega bucks giving the $1 deposit and not bothering to return the mug. I see it all the time…if you have the money you will gladly pay not to be inconvenienced.
they should take names and start a wall of shame :rofl:
People sure do like their Starbucks

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
The stand alone Starbucks near TJ Maxx is "temporarily closed." Not that I ever went there! Once in a great while, I will get a Starbucks when I am in Target. I live almost next door to a Dunkin' so if I am too lazy to make my own coffee, I can walk the half a block there!

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15
I bought a three pound can of Kirkland dark roast coffee for what it costs me for 1.5 lbs of Peet’s. And I’m so happy that it tastes good. It’s not Peet’s but it’s still very good. I will but it again on my next trip to Costco.
How much is Peets? I pay about $5 for a 12oz bag of Aldi's Honduras beans, or 4 something for 14 oz German blend ground.
The stand alone Starbucks near TJ Maxx is "temporarily closed." Not that I ever went there! Once in a great while, I will get a Starbucks when I am in Target. I live almost next door to a Dunkin' so if I am too lazy to make my own coffee, I can walk the half a block there!
Too lazy to make coffee, but not so lazy you can't walk 🤣. By the time you get dressed and get your shoes on it would be done!

My work got the fanciest touch screen, fresh ground, coffee machine! Now I can wait to get to work to have a really good cup of coffee!
Oh yeah, I said that already 😆. Yeah, I am kinda excited! I feel bad for the people who don't drink coffee. This thing is gonna cost them a lot! Heck, it's probably like getting a .50 cent an hour raise if you compare it to coffee shop coffee 😁

I like Starbucks for their specialty drinks. I think we can all agree I’m not a true coffee lover. It has to be a certain way or I can’t drink it. If I want a regular cup of hot coffee I have to have silk creamer. No other non dairy creamer or milk will do. And now that I do the pour over I’ve gotten so used to making it so strong that no other place can make it the way I like it. I will have Starbucks once or twice throughout the Christmas season maybe two or three times over the summer with one of their iced drinks, and an occasionally when I’m out with my daughter.
Personally, I’d rather have a slice of cake from the girls creamery for what it cost for a Starbucks drink. But I don’t criticize those who like Starbucks and frequent it more regularly. We all have our little guilty pleasures and what we like to spend our money on.

Reactions: PTree15