The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning/afternoon y'all! It is cloudy this morning with some scattered showers. I will relax this morning and head over to Target in the early afternoon. I admit that if I didn't HAVE to work, I would think about retiring. Though now I am getting used to going to work again and I do like seeing people in person. If I could retire, I would do volunteer work. One of my co-workers has decided to retire. She quit a while back for a new job that didn't work out and came back. She says the work atmosphere is so stressful now that she is leaving. She is lucky to be able to do so as she has a SO that can help with finances. I will miss her! I don't know about quite a few of the employees that I don't regularly see; whether they are afraid to come back to work or what.

We're also going to do a little flat spruce up. We've been trying to get some olive/sage paint for the hallway & Elias' room. Some new blackout curtains for the bedrooms are arriving today....I've also got a big plant for the bedroom, a new chair for E's room plus a teepee & some storage for his toys.

It would seem like everybody is redecorating and doing DIY. :D

This is for @NYC Gardener and everyone else who is interested. (Soviet way of growing tea fungus' scoby at home). + A bonus.

Unfortunately, it appeared to be, that even this "rose shrub fungus" i was talking about is not tea-free. But i have to say, that the fungus devours tea substance while growing, so nothing of tea is left after the fungus digests it, so it shouldn't be poisonous for people with tea intolerance (but i remind that it's still basidiomycetae, so it can cause other nasty reactions in people who are exposed to that). If you're ok with eating mushrooms - it has to be fine to drink "tea fungus". The only inconvenience is the necessity to take its poop away (yes, it poops).
When i say "rose shrub berries" i mean these ones:
01-00-43-649917h3127t46.jpg

The video itself. Something is shown here, but not very distinctively, so i made a translation (below).

My pathetic translation of the video:
<<"Tea fungus" can also be grown out of rose shrub berries. If your goal is not only beating thirst, but getting health benefits,- it'll be better to prefer rose berry fungus over ordinary tea fungus. This kind of fungus beverage is a real treasure in winter, in the season of flu and hypovitaminosis. The basics of growing rose fungus is quite similar to the basics of an ordinary tea fungus, but there are some details that need to be discussed.
To begin with, we'll need to prepare rose tincture (you can use either fresh berries, or dried ones which can be bought in any pharmacy shop). Put 4 tbsp of berries into a vacuum flask (thermos) and pour 0.5 liters of hot boiling water (100°C). Screw the lid of the flask, and let your tincture "rest" (steep) for 5 full days (120 hours). After the tincture is ready, you can go directly to the step 2 (growing the scoby)... Take a 3-liter glass jar, wash it thoroughly, pour the ready tincture into this jar, plus a pre-made tea infusion. (Proportion for the tea infusion: 1 tbsp of leafy black tea for a glass of hot boiling water). Add 5 tbsp of sugar into the jar (with rose tincture and tea infusion) and stir it up thoroughly. Leave it all to "rest" (steep) for 24 hours. Then sieve it with a few-layer gauze, wash the [initial 3-liter] jar, and pour the tincture back into it. Cover the jar with a few-layer new and dry gauze cloth, having fixed it with an elastic band around the jar's neck. Put the jar into a dark place... In about 2 weeks a strong vinegar odour will appear. This stinky odour will disappear soon, and the scoby itself will get formed in about 1.5 - 2 months.>> (end of the video).
P.S. We had a long experience in growing "tea mushrooms" and i have to point at some rules. Keep in mind that the fungus is alive and needs to be fed and cleaned. Never pour hot water onto the fungus,- he will die (the water has to be of room temperature). Time after time add a few tbsp of sugar - he loves sugar, and the taste of the beverage will be better. And, of course, time after time, you'll need to make a thick tea infusion and add it to the jar. (After you add the tea, you'll have to wait ~a day until the fungus digests the tea and it becomes safe to drink). The jar needs to be washed, like every few days, because the fungus' poop can cause erosive processes in its body. You'll be able to use it (drink the beverage) when a solid layer of the fungus' body gets formed. Then it will grow bigger and thicker. You need to remove old dark and corrupt layers without damaging the younger ones. Wash it under the tap water, and remove its poop that is stuck between the layers. Don't cut it with scissors or a knife. As soon as it's alive and it has a collective mind,- the way it's treated by his human, influences his behaviour (a.k.a. life span, taste and health benefits). He appreciates talking to him and praising him (that's the truth),- we know it, because that's the way it has been done by multiple generations of russians (and not only, i guess).
----------------------------------------------------------------
This is a video in English about making hibiscus kombucha (i hope it will be helpful too). It's explained in a very weird way, and it's definitely not our (soviet) way of making kombucha, but if it works and if it's beneficial - then why not. ...I wouldn't boil the sugar though...

Last edited:
This is for @NYC Gardener and everyone else who is interested. (Soviet way of growing tea fungus' scoby at home). + A bonus.

Unfortunately, it appeared to be, that even this "rose shrub fungus" i was talking about is not tea-free. But i have to say, that the fungus devours tea substance while growing, so nothing of tea is left after the fungus digests it, so it shouldn't be poisonous for people with tea intolerance (but i remind that it's still basidiomycetae, so it can cause other nasty reactions in people who are exposed to that). If you're ok with eating mushrooms - it has to be fine to drink "tea fungus". The only inconvenience is the necessity to take its poop away (yes, it poops).
When i say "rose shrub berries" i mean these ones:
View attachment 21220

The video itself. Something is shown here, but not very distinctively, so i made a translation (below).

My pathetic translation of the video:
<<"Tea fungus" can also be grown out of rose shrub berries. If your goal is not only beating thirst, but getting health benefits,- it'll be better to prefer rose berry fungus over ordinary tea fungus. This kind of fungus beverage is a real treasure in winter, in the season of flu and hypovitaminosis. The basics of growing rose fungus is quite similar to the basics of an ordinary tea fungus, but there are some details that need to be discussed.
To begin with, we'll need to prepare rose tincture (you can use either fresh berries, or dried ones which can be bought in any pharmacy shop). Put 4 tbsp of berries into a vacuum flask (thermos) and pour 0.5 liters of hot boiling water (100°C). Screw the lid of the flask, and let your tincture "rest" (steep) for 5 full days (120 hours). After the tincture is ready, you can go directly to the step 2 (growing the scoby)... Take a 3-liter glass jar, wash it thoroughly, pour the ready tincture into this jar, plus a pre-made tea infusion. (Proportion for the tea infusion: 1 tbsp of leafy black tea for a glass of hot boiling water). Add 5 tbsp of sugar into the jar (with rose tincture and tea infusion) and stir it up thoroughly. Leave it all to "rest" (steep) for 24 hours. Then sieve it with a few-layer gauze, wash the [initial 3-liter] jar, and pour the tincture back into it. Cover the jar with a few-layer new and dry gauze cloth, having fixed it with an elastic band around the jar's neck. Put the jar into a dark place... In about 2 weeks a strong vinegar odour will appear. This stinky odour will disappear soon, and the scoby itself will get formed in about 1.5 - 2 months.>> (end of the video).
P.S. We had a long experience in growing "tea mushrooms" and i have to point at some rules. Keep in mind that the fungus is alive and needs to be fed and cleaned. Never pour hot water onto the fungus,- he will die (the water has to be of room temperature). Time after time add a few tbsp of sugar - he loves sugar, and the taste of the beverage will be better. And, of course, time after time, you'll need to make a thick tea infusion and add it to the jar. (After you add the tea, you'll have to wait ~a day until the fungus digests the tea and it becomes safe to drink). The jar needs to be washed, like every few days, because the fungus' poop can cause erosive processes in its body. You'll be able to use it (drink the beverage) when a solid layer of the fungus' body gets formed. Then it will grow bigger and thicker. You need to remove old dark and corrupt layers without damaging the younger ones. Wash it under the tap water, and remove its poop that is stuck between the layers. Don't cut it with scissors or a knife. As soon as it's alive and it has a collective mind,- the way it's treated by his human, influences his behaviour (a.k.a. life span, taste and health benefits). He appreciates talking to him and praising him (that's the truth),- we know it, because that's the way it has been done by multiple generations of russians (and not only, i guess).
----------------------------------------------------------------
This is a video in English about making hibiscus kombucha (i hope it will be helpful too). It's explained in a very weird way, and it's definitely not our (soviet) way of making kombucha, but if it works and if it's beneficial - then why not. ...I wouldn't boil the sugar though...

Fascinating!

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Hey everyone! I went to Target and met Melynda, my co-worker, to give her the cat food and she filled me in on her situation. She has had health problems for a while and now is unable to come back to work under doctor's orders. She said management was not very sympathetic which is sad. She has worked at TJ Maxx for 9 years and deserves some respect. She said she has not received her stimulus payment or any unemployment. Yet she takes care of several feral cat colonies and takes care of orphaned kittens. I wish I could help her out more than just a bag of cat food. :(
I bought a bunch of stuff I needed and when I got home I was looking at my receipt and I was charged twice for the cat litter. Now I will have to go back over there for a refund.

I'm doing some DIY and repainting the shower room. I have also ordered some furniture for my bedroom including a lovely velvet headboard for the bed.

The flat was in need of a serious revamp.
What color?
Awesome! I should be painting but I can’t get motivated. I hate painting so much.
I am looking for a recliner/chair to go with the couch I’m getting as well as a dresser or two. And I’m going to need a few items to go on the walls.
Me too! I've done a lot in the past and shiver just thinking about it now, I'm having a hard enough time washing these walls.
The kitchen has wallpaper that I do like, though I hate wallpaper. I'll have to post a picture. I'd like it a bluish color.
Are there good resale stores by you? I always look for wood furniture uses, there's such great markup on good wood furniture, and today, is it really good?

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I was getting so set on buying a newer car! I had a dentist appt after work, which is in my old neighborhood, so I figured I'd make the drive to Hertz car sales and see what's what. I drove a 17 Toyata Corolla, which I liked and had 710000 mile on it, and a 18 Toyota Yaris with 42000. Both under $10000. They were just ok. Somehow I expected to swoon and want to sign the papers, but they were just ... ok. Except for the rear view camera--that was awesome!
Anyway, they only offered me $300 for mine! Ohhhhhh I was maaaaddd. They have a no haggle pricing too, so I assumed they'd make up for it by offering more for trades 🙄.
Oh well, I like my rusty old car--may it live long and save me money!

What color?

The walls are a pale ivory/cream colour. The bedside table and chest of drawers are shiny white and the headboard is cream/pale beige which will pair well with my Kelly Hoppen, off white and mink satin bed spread.
I'm also going to paint the fitted wardrobe drawers and may also change the rug.

I got a letter about one of my husband's pension accounts today. Coronavirus has meant that it hasn't increased by much this year, I assume that is the reason anyway.

I got a text about a phone appointment with my psychiatrist in June. They are all going to be by phone for the near future.

So bored again today. I'm watching a man on YT who has set himself a challenge of having bubble baths every night. I'm not sure that is what I would call a challenge! :D

Oh yes, I have booked a hair cut for July as that was when the woman who cuts my hair said she was told she can start working again. It feels like things are slightly going back to normal.

Hello everyone! :wave: :smitten:
It's the "City day" here in SPb!🎆 317 years since its foundation. No parades or fireworks are scheduled, for obvious reasons. The city mayor, Alexander Beglov, said that "the percentage of contaminated is still too high every day, so it's too early to speak about taking away the restrictions". The annual parade will be online, though it's barely can be called a parade, i guess.
Anyway, happy birthday, SPb!💖
IMG_20200527_132200.jpg

Brief info about SPb and its history:

Posting a fragment of 2019-parade.🎺🎷🥁 This fragment is called "Flowers and orchestras".

And... look what mom's friend Marine sent me! A wagtail bird had chosen their old bbq grill to lay eggs inside it. (At first there were 2 eggs, then - 4, and then - 5!!!). Isn't it the best hint from nature, that humans should be building places for birds' nests,- not places for roasting animals?..
IMG_20200527_154142.jpg

IMG_20200527_154259.jpg

IMG_20200527_154227.jpg

IMG_20200527_154207.jpg

Got some things to try out. Miyoko cheese slices, Just Egg omelettes, Sweet Earth veggie pizza, American Flatbread vegan harvest. Looking forward to it. Lots of Gardein stuff happened to be on sale.
I wonder if Miyoko's would make good grilled cheese. I know they have some really good cheese wheels. Love that with some crackers.
Was disappointed that the Whole Foods here doesn't carry Field Roast frankfurters, looks like if I really want those I'll have to get it from vegan essentials. Used to get those every week for a while, that along with Earth Balance mac n cheese was nice.. You know, back when Earth Balance made mac n cheese!! Grr. They should bring that back, I can't think of a single mac n cheese that's better.

Last edited:
I've ordered some Caribbean food for takeaway on saturday evening- there's a guy in our local vegan group that makes a seldction of foods for a different theme every week. Looking forward to that. 🤤

Does anyone know of any nice areas in Kent maybe, by the seaside for a little trip? Shyvas? (Not for now obviously...later in the year.)

I've ordered some Caribbean food for takeaway on saturday evening- there's a guy in our local vegan group that makes a seldction of foods for a different theme every week. Looking forward to that. 🤤

Does anyone know of any nice areas in Kent maybe, by the seaside for a little trip? Shyvas? (Not for now obviously...later in the year.)

Margate is nice. Whitstable and Folkstone are also gems. You also have Ramsgate which is further south and the lovely historic Romney Marsh. You can explore the shingle beach of Dungeness and a minature train that you can catch at Hythe and it'll take you to the lighthouse.

Margate is nice. Whitstable and Folkstone are also gems. You also have Ramsgate which is further south and the lovely historic Romney Marsh. You can explore the shingle beach of Dungeness and a minature train that you can catch at Hythe and it'll take you to the lighthouse.
Thank you! I'll check these places out :)

There is a place I've been looking at in Margate.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas and Val
What a couple days. Wow. The AC was not working yesterday. Hub cleaned out the outside unit and defrosted it. Working now.
I had many phone calls to figure out my mortgage stuff. Complicated, but I know what went wrong.
Today hub was doing the uber eats thing and he got into a car accident. He is a bit sore, but ok. I had to go get him and do all that nonsense. Hoping they don't try to total his car. We have to wait and hear back.
I am picking up a computer for a work from home gig on Friday that I hope will start Monday.

What a couple days. Wow. The AC was not working yesterday. Hub cleaned out the outside unit and defrosted it. Working now.
I had many phone calls to figure out my mortgage stuff. Complicated, but I know what went wrong.
Today hub was doing the uber eats thing and he got into a car accident. He is a bit sore, but ok. I had to go get him and do all that nonsense. Hoping they don't try to total his car. We have to wait and hear back.
I am picking up a computer for a work from home gig on Friday that I hope will start Monday.
Oh no! I hope they take care of the car ok and that's he's okay!
I've thought of doing delivery on my off days, but I really don't like driving.
What's the work from home? I'd love to pick up extra income, don't know what's going on with my company...not a lot is being shared

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
So sorry about the car. :hug: And that's a huge relief that your husband is ok! (((more hugs)))

• Agree
Reactions: Raven
Status
Not open for further replies.