The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! It is a rainy day today but it is cooler and we need the rain. It was my first 7 AM day since returning to work. I have to get used to getting up real early again! I had a somewhat hectic day in the office as I had to do 2 days worth of processing because yesterday was so busy that Jeannette couldn't get to the office. Too many people are calling out! I think there were 3 today! I guess they liked being unemployed and no longer want to work! I also had to take time away from the office to do cleaning detail around the store wiping things off. I went 20 minutes past when my shift was supposed to end but that's ok because I am getting time and a half for working on a holiday.

I spent the afternoon rearranging the hanging baskets, moving them to more squirrel-resistant places.

While I was doing that, I caught a pair of eyes viewing me from the top of the fence. It was a young squirrel. It stared at the plants and then at my dog and I like, "Are you guys gonna move? I need to get to my lunch right there. The salad bar."

We faced off. The squirrel took that broad-legged squirrel stance and flicked its tail at us. Eventually, my dog lunged and barked. "Get out of our yard, dude!"

The squirrel ran away.

So . . . Some of the plants have moved back indoors. They don't get quite enough light in here, but at least they won't be uprooted and eaten whole.

We all love arugula.

I spent the afternoon rearranging the hanging baskets, moving them to more squirrel-resistant places.

While I was doing that, I caught a pair of eyes viewing me from the top of the fence. It was a young squirrel. It stared at the plants and then at my dog and I like, "Are you guys gonna move? I need to get to my lunch right there. The salad bar."

We faced off. The squirrel took that broad-legged squirrel stance and flicked its tail at us. Eventually, my dog lunged and barked. "Get out of our yard, dude!"

The squirrel ran away.

So . . . Some of the plants have moved back indoors. They don't get quite enough light in here, but at least they won't be uprooted and eaten whole.

We all love arugula.

Squirrels are determined little creatures! There are now two of them that come and raid my bird feeder. They like sunflower seeds too! When I see them, I tap on the window to scare them away but they always come back. Here is a picture:

IMG_20200521_081803.jpg

Squirrels are determined little creatures! There are now two of them that come and raid my bird feeder. They like sunflower seeds too! When I see them, I tap on the window to scare them away but they always come back. Here is a picture:

View attachment 21213

So do you know about squirrel proof birdfeeders?

I'm sort of teasing. @SapphireLightning posted a youtube video the other day. She was concerned about animal cruelty. she hadn't watched the video so I did for her.

The video is actually entertaining if you have 20 minutes to kill

and by the way I got my sister a squirrel proof bird feeder a few years ago. it does work. Wheter you want one depends on if the squirrels are eating all the bird food and not leaving any for the birds. I got one from Squirrel Buster. The company has various models. Even models for different kinds of birds.

There are some motorized ones that spin the squirrels off. I decided that was too extreme. But if you are interested those are called Droll Yankees.

The squirrels aren't eating that much and they are amusing when they are in the little tree and climbing on the feeder. They entertain Screamer as well!
My day off tomorrow has now been planned. One of my co-workers is a "crazy cat lady" and helps support feral cats in Deltona (I used to live there and is where my son and grand kids live). She posted on FB that she needs cat food for her colony so as I have an extra bag from a BOGO deal, I am going to meet her over at the Target in Orange City which is between DeLand and Deltona. I wanted to go to Target anyway.

I'm sort of teasing. @SapphireLightning posted a youtube video the other day. She was concerned about animal cruelty. she hadn't watched the video so I did for her.

The video is actually entertaining if you have 20 minutes to kill

and by the way I got my sister a squirrel proof bird feeder a few years ago. it does work. Wheter you want one depends on if the squirrels are eating all the bird food and not leaving any for the birds. I got one from Squirrel Buster. The company has various models. Even models for different kinds of birds.

There are some motorized ones that spin the squirrels off. I decided that was too extreme. But if you are interested those are called Droll Yankees.

Ugh. They shouldn't make ones that can harm the squirrels. In fact, it's probably illegal under animal cruelty laws.

Ugh. They shouldn't make ones that can harm the squirrels. In fact, it's probably illegal under animal cruelty laws.
That video really isn't cruel at all- he's brilliant and devised a Rube Goldberg for squirrels-he's not only adamant about how it's designed, but gives details. I watched it and if you didn't appreciate squirrels before you would after seeing this

Too many people are calling out! I think there were 3 today! I guess they liked being unemployed and no longer want to work!

I would imagine a lot of people feel that way after having freedom from working for weeks. My SIL has been in self-isolation for the whole time and she says she doesn't want to go back to work.

It's quite hot again. I have my electric fan on. I had toasted crumpets for breakfast.

I was saying to other people online that I am getting really sick of this now. I want things to go back to some sort of normal!

My son needs to find a job now that we’ve moved and I can see that he’s very comfortable with the situation right now. It’s going to be very difficult to get back into the swing of things. I’m sure it would be for me too. I can see it being particularly hard for people to go back if they are unhappy with where they work.

I keep thinking I’m ready to take the plunge and get out there until I read another story of a younger person who just died from the virus. A 34-year-old man left behind a wife and two small children in a town near where I just moved from. He was healthy and pretty much a germaphobe so he was taking all of the recommended precautions, and then some, and he still got sick. The write up from his wife was heartbreaking.

I'm doing some DIY and repainting the shower room. I have also ordered some furniture for my bedroom including a lovely velvet headboard for the bed.

The flat was in need of a serious revamp.
Awesome! I should be painting but I can’t get motivated. I hate painting so much.
I am looking for a recliner/chair to go with the couch I’m getting as well as a dresser or two. And I’m going to need a few items to go on the walls.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
We're also going to do a little flat spruce up. We've been trying to get some olive/sage paint for the hallway & Elias' room. Some new blackout curtains for the bedrooms are arriving today....I've also got a big plant for the bedroom, a new chair for E's room plus a teepee & some storage for his toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.