Animal Advocacy The Animal Activism/Rights/Welfare thread

1702831991531.png

1702833272726.png

One very LUCKY juvenile who flew into a lamp post and then onto heavy traffic in Ramsgate. Happily a kind person picked it up and kept it safe at their home and posted for help on the Brighton/Sussex wildlife group. Sadly there are no rescue groups in this area of Kent so the admin of the Brighton group drove 150 miles on Sunday to pick up the baby and drove him/her to Bird Aid in Sussex. He received pain killers thanks to the admin as he has a first aid kit with him. He then received all the necessary medical care and is beautifully bandaged up.

When he/she is ready, a rehabber will take it in for whatever time is necessary for the bird to fully recover.

If anybody would like to donate towards the petrol costs, I can post the link.

Thank you lovely Justin for saving this sweetheart. :smitten:South Coast & East Sussex 'Gullraiser' pt 2, organized by South Coast And East Sussex Voluntary Network

• Friendly
Reactions: Blues and PTree15
1702916009852.png

Squeaky at the founder`s ( wildlife rescue group) home. She was the juvenile pidge that was found walking on streets of the Lanes in Brighton. Her body was burnt and she had hardly any feathers.
After a few months of care, medication, physio, and food she is now ready to go to a sanctuary (after xmas) so that her flying skills can be tested.

I will miss her as I would visit her frequently when I was in Brighton. Another precious life saved thanks to our group.

1703445909105.png

A squab from the Imperial Arcade in Brighton suffered with a broken leg and was not expected to survive.
A happy ending as this sweet mite has been released. Many thanks to the South Coast & East Sussex Bird Gull Volunteer
Network.

Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
Nobody was prepared for the carnage in Barcelona on July 31: Dead, injured, and maimed pigs were left strewn along the AP-7 highway after the transport truck carrying them crashed at high speed. Wounded and bloodied survivors were filmed dragging themselves along the road, confused and desperate for escape.

The transport truck caught fire, and the highway was shut down as emergency crews scrambled to make sense of the chaos. Although Barcelona may have moved on, we must remember the victims of this crash, who endured needless trauma because humans treated them as objects.

• Sad
Reactions: Brian W and PTree15
View attachment 29736

Squeaky at the founder`s ( wildlife rescue group) home. She was the juvenile pidge that was found walking on streets of the Lanes in Brighton. Her body was burnt and she had hardly any feathers.
After a few months of care, medication, physio, and food she is now ready to go to a sanctuary (after xmas) so that her flying skills can be tested.

I will miss her as I would visit her frequently when I was in Brighton. Another precious life saved thanks to our group.
1703724181493.png

Sqeaky in October.

• Love
Reactions: Brian W
1704163076266.png
The foam suffocates 15,000 chickens in 15 minutes. It's an American invention by Kifco, a manufacturer of irrigation equipment in Illinois. Note the humans in white suits standing in the window like strange aliens in a sci-fi horror movie. Foam machine manufactured in the United States whose purpose is to eliminate lots of birds quickly in a biologically safe and effective way."
The foam method has only been used five times in the US.

http://www.avi-foam.com/about.php

Is it OK to Trap & Release Rodents?

`No. They are highly bonded family wise and territorial.
Also, eviction is likely a death sentence as they will freeze! I know it's very annoying, and don't expect you to tolerate it

First thing, basically you want to push out, slowly, from the inside. This may include putting something outside they can shelter in - a chest of drawers with some scrap fabric and a tarpaulin, in an ideal world.
Just remember they need what we need - warm, dry beds, water, food. Space to stash food, ideally, but shelter is important.
I suspect they're scared enough of us to want to stay away.
Put flour on the floor. They'll come to lick it up, and leave tracks to where they're getting in. Hopefully, it will also expose runs.
When you work out the runs, clear them. They want cover, so light and distance without things to hide behind puts them off.
Do this, and maybe leave a light on at night.
Then start putting scent down. Wipe the floors and counters you think they may use with some bleach in water. You need to wipe the pheromone trail out, and they leave that constantly in a dribble of wee. I have read kestrels hunt by picking up on the UV of their urine trails, don't know if that's worth trying to spot them? It's a guess, I don't know.
Sonar deterrents do work, to some extent.
Put some citronella down, or even fine ground pepper. It's a gentle deterrent.
When you tracked the entry points, mark them. If it's more than one, block one, then the other, and stuff with wire dish scrubbers before filling.
If you use expanding filler, knock hard around the entry first, because they could get stuck in it which would be awful.
Slowly (a couple of days - they are smart and leaving it too long is inviting more holes) push back with these methods, as well as fastidiously cleaning and sweeping, putting things they eat out of reach etc, and I hope you'll have them out soon.`
Alternative shelter is the ideal way, obviously you want no harm to come to them.
If you know anyone with a snake, ask for some ****. That scares them!
You can also try putting cellophane down so if they walk on it it's immediately noisy.
If you have some who are stuck in the house after filling holes, do a humane trap. A bin with a flip lid is good, or baking paper wrapped over a pan they can reach, with a light X cut in it and some bait will work. But this is another reason the alternative gaff is a good idea, cos trapping and dumping rodents is likely to end in harm for them. Rival territory, no shelter etc.
Citronella and probably many other scents are a good start.`

A Wildlife Rescuer

Reactions: deadknight