Animal Advocacy The Animal Activism/Rights/Welfare thread

1705863991387.png
Chris was an unwanted boy thrown into a public shelter where he was mauled by other dogs. Sadly this is a common occurrence.
The endless stresses that shelter life brings are indescribable. Constant barking, disease, smells of defication and urine. Men yelling and man handling these poor souls. Fights for food. It’s no less than hell on earth.
What can help to solve this living nightmare?
Spay and Neuter.
A simple surgery that saves animals from being born to suffer. Romania Animal Rescue, Inc Dba Animal Spay Neuter International spay/neuter donors understand this, although it’s a seemingly endless struggle to introduce its importance to new people.
For years the incredible Maggi Waite in all her wisdom has been fundraising for these animals to get spayed and neutered. Determined and tirelessly each week she and her supporters enable more animals to be helped. Thank you on behalf of all the animals who will never end up like Chris
💖
💞

“20th January (Week 3) £59 will be going across to RAR from tonight`s lotto bringing our Spay Pot total to £2179 - a great amount towards our next months' 4 mini spay tuesdays - Thank you everyone for your continued support.”

1707404036627.png

Squeaks yesterday. He has become the most handsome of pidges ever. Just a long way from the days where he was severely burnt
with so many missing feathers. I really don't know how he'll manage to survive in the wild.

1707814656429.png

"I captured the five dolphins that collectively played the part of Flipper. I trained all of them, from the very beginning of the first show to the last show. I lived with all five of them in the Seaquarium. And on Friday nights, at 7:30, I would take the TV set, with a long extension cord, out to the end of the dock, so Flipper could watch Flipper on television. And that’s when I knew they were self-aware. I could tell when the dolphins recognized themselves and each other. Cathy, for example, would recognize the shots she was in, Suzy would recognize her shots, and so on. Dolphins are hard to read, because you have to look at body language. Almost all other animals you can read by looking at their faces. But dolphins have this built-in “smile” that makes it look like they’re always happy.
My ideas about captivity changed when Cathy died in my arms, of suicide. It was just before Earth Day, 1970. The next day, I found myself in a Bimini jail, trying to free a dolphin for the first time. I completely lost it. You have to understand, dolphins are not automatic air breathers like we are. Every breath for them is a conscious effort. She looked me right in the eye, took a breath, held it — and she didn’t take another one. She just sank to the bottom of the water. That had a profound effect on me."-
Richard O'Barry

• Sad
Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Important! Please view & share:

The song and video “Red Red World III” which aims to raise awareness of the Factory Farming of animals and also hails the rise of animal rights movement..Please have a listen and watch the video (there is no graphic footage). Every play and view will generate PRS royalties which will all be donated to sanctuaries and organisations helping farmed (and other) animals. So if you can share in your social and professional circles, that would be fab.

Here is the link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UAO7YxeM-I

Red Red World III [REVOLUTION IS UNDER WAY]

I remember being really young and wanting to rescue and free animals nearby that I knew were all kept captive to be used. I knew no others thinking like that, then. Now I'm much older.

Regarding @shyvas 's post of Feb 22, 2024, picturing a protest outside a Costa Coffee shop: I was a bit confused. Basically, I was wondering if that chain used more dairy than other coffee shops. I googled the phrase "does Costa Coffee use dairy more than other shops", but couldn't find anything specifically addressing that question.

I don't think coffee creamer is a major use of dairy. Maybe the activists wanted to persuade people to take a smaller step in beginning to give up dairy products? I've heard many folks say that cheese was the hardest dairy product to give up, but I think much more milk is used in cheese production than in creamer.

Regarding @shyvas 's post of Feb 22, 2024, picturing a protest outside a Costa Coffee shop: I was a bit confused. Basically, I was wondering if that chain used more dairy than other coffee shops. I googled the phrase "does Costa Coffee use dairy more than other shops", but couldn't find anything specifically addressing that question.

I don't think coffee creamer is a major use of dairy. Maybe the activists wanted to persuade people to take a smaller step in beginning to give up dairy products? I've heard many folks say that cheese was the hardest dairy product to give up, but I think much more milk is used in cheese production than in creamer.

It's because Costa uses a supplier (a large dairy farm) that violates animal welfare regulations. I did add the link 'Viva' at the bottom of the pic @Tom L. :)
They are asking customers to switch to plant based milk:

"In true Viva! style we’ve organised not one, but two, nationwide Days of Action outside Costa Coffee in order to urge their customers to choose plant milks instead. On 28 January, Viva! supporters joined in across the nation. Viva! received an incredible response from the general public. I’m hoping you’ll join us on our next Day of Action on Saturday 11 March to reach even more people and help them to swap to plant-based alternatives.

All you have to do is find out where events are being held or host your own outside your local Costa Coffee shop by filling out the form at viva.org.uk/costa."

1709618783821.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and PTree15