US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree, and that's exactly the best we can do!
We can't stop at getting Biden in office, that's for sure, and I'm so afraid of that!
We expected so much with Obama, we need to remember!

Biden is the democratic candidate, that's been decided 90-95%. So it makes sense to support him at this point.

If the choice is between fairly bad and really awful, the relative gain from getting bad is the same as the same as the gain between great and good. So, it makes as much sense to vote for fairly bad (to avoid awful) as it does to vote for great (rather than good)..

I agree but I would not rate him so low. Or Trump so high. Trump is like a negative 10. Biden, I'll give him a 7.

Maybe the best thing about Biden is that he has been around so long. He knows everyone on Captial Hill. I think he can get stuff done. I think he is smart enough to hire a lot of the right people too.

My 94 year old, conservative, Republican aunt just stated that she is not voting for Trump again because he does stupid things. Love her! Lol 😁

I know Biden and his staff realizes that whoever they choose for VP is automatically the front runner for the 2024 Presidential candidate. I'm hoping they choose Warren.

I know Biden and his staff realizes that whoever they choose for VP is automatically the front runner for the 2024 Presidential candidate. I'm hoping they choose Warren.
I love Warren, but I want someone more progressive than her.
I'm so very glad that Klobucher took her name out and made clear Biden needs to name a woman of color. I'm guessing now Susan Rice--I want Stacey Abrams

Kamala Harris, one of my senators, is at the top of the list, and she’s fine with that.

Kamala Harris, one of my senators, is at the top of the list, and she’s fine with that.

Kamala is my senator too. I wonder if Biden would select her because she made him look pretty bad in that first debate he was in. Also as California's AG, she did some stuff that viewed thru the lens of 2020 look pretty bad. Also, California is already very blue so she doesn't bring any votes that Biden doesn't already have.

Also, I worry that some Dems wouldn't vote for her to be president in 2004. Although you can say that about any black or female candidate. There are other black women in the mix. Val Demmings and Stacy Abrams. I think they would both bring a lot of votes but I don't know if either of them could swing thier own state to Biden. And their credentials to be President are pretty thin.

Last edited:
This Wikipedia page shows dozens of current polls of Biden vs. Trump: Nationwide opinion polling for the 2020 United States presidential election - Wikipedia

As of 6/19, all recent polls show Biden at 8-13 points ahead of Trump.

Per this recent Gallup poll, 25% of Americans self-identify as Republican, 31% of Americans self-identify as Democrat, and 40% of Americans self-identify as Independent: Party Affiliation
All that matters are the votes they count, and the electoral college.

They say that 100 million will vote for a democrat, 100 million will vote for a republican, and 100 million won't vote.

Probably the key to getting anyone elected is to be able to cut into that non-voting segment. The last election might have gone Trump's way because some non-voters voted for Trump. Nonvoters tend to be less informed and they probably thought they were voting for change. And some democrats stayed home because they did not want to vote for Hillary or they thought that Trump was going to lose.

Getting just 10% of those nonvoters to vote your way can swing an election.

Right now in San Francisco, there is a measure that would lower the voting age to 17 for local measures and candidates. I love this idea. I think discussing how to vote in a classroom would take on a new amount of relevance. And some of the local measures we get to vote on are as complicated as anything else we vote on.

I think we need to be more realistic about the reasons people aren't voting.

Some of the efforts to get more people to vote come across as condescending because they side-step the real issues and treat it as though it's a matter of motivation. It reminds me of being a kid and being told, "Well, if you APPLY yourself...." while no one wants to hear what's really going on, that I do work hard, but I'm dealing with some horrible situations in my family and at school.

People don't vote for real reasons.

Work.
Childcare.
Transportation.
Equal disappointment in all candidates.
Seeing the government as an enemy after experiencing systemic injustice.
Believing they won't be represented, no matter what happens.
Someone they live with won't allow it.
Lack of info on how to vote by absentee ballot.
Prioritizing other things.
And much more.

First, we need to listen to people. Ask people why they didn't vote in the past instead of throwing slogans at them.

Then we need to address the issues that come up in those conversations.

And we should consider ways to make voting more accessible - allow people to take time off from work, have extra busses run on that day, make public transit free thaf day, make it a national holiday, distribute more info about absentee ballots, and so on.

But it all needs to be conveyed in a tone that shows more respect so that it will resonate with people.

One idea I heard was that every employer would be required to give an hour or two off on election day. Some countries make it election day a holiday but I think people would just take the day off and go on a trip.
In California, everyone can have a mail-in ballot if they want. I can't remember the last time I showed up in person to vote.
I'll have to look it up and see if California had a larger percentage of voters than states where it is difficult to mail in a ballot.

I'm reminded of that line from Ted And Bill's Excellent Adventure.
Are you ignorant or apathetic?
Don't know, don't care.

I don't even believe anymore it's a matter of how many vote, but how many votes are counted.
Look at how rigged the system is, and they're making it worse every day
This administration is more corrupt than ever- and it's supporters are stupid shits by and large
I have the news on and drinking beer

I agree. The whole system needs an overhaul.

Re: voter turnout, they should create pamphlets outlining how to register, where to vote, how to do an absentee ballot, and what will be on the ballot in each region. Then makes those available in all public buildings (schools, libraries, transit hubs, buildings at public parks) and anywhere state lotto tickets are sold. And run infomercials on TV, social media, etc.

They could be doing a much better job. (It's almost as if they're intentionally trying not to reach people.)

High schools should also be required to cover topics like how to vote, how to do your taxes, how to apply for a job, what's expected in most employment situations, and what the local laws are.

Reactions: David3 and Veganite
I think we need to be more realistic about the reasons people aren't voting.

Some of the efforts to get more people to vote come across as condescending because they side-step the real issues and treat it as though it's a matter of motivation. It reminds me of being a kid and being told, "Well, if you APPLY yourself...." while no one wants to hear what's really going on, that I do work hard, but I'm dealing with some horrible situations in my family and at school.

People don't vote for real reasons.

Work.
Childcare.
Transportation.
Equal disappointment in all candidates.
Seeing the government as an enemy after experiencing systemic injustice.
Believing they won't be represented, no matter what happens.
Someone they live with won't allow it.
Lack of info on how to vote by absentee ballot.
Prioritizing other things.
And much more.

First, we need to listen to people. Ask people why they didn't vote in the past instead of throwing slogans at them.

Then we need to address the issues that come up in those conversations.

And we should consider ways to make voting more accessible - allow people to take time off from work, have extra busses run on that day, make public transit free thaf day, make it a national holiday, distribute more info about absentee ballots, and so on.

But it all needs to be conveyed in a tone that shows more respect so that it will resonate with people.

Voting-by-mail helps to overcome the lack of time/access to voting places. I have contacted my governor, U.S. senators, U.S. congresspersons, state senator, and state assemblypersons and urged them to support voting-by-mail. You can find your federal and state representatives by going to: Elected Officials | USAGov

Here is more information about voting-by-mail in your state: Absentee and Early Voting | USAGov

In 39 states (plus Washington D.C.), you can register to vote online: Online Voter Registration

Last edited:
I agree. The whole system needs an overhaul.

Re: voter turnout, they should create pamphlets outlining how to register, where to vote, how to do an absentee ballot, and what will be on the ballot in each region. Then makes those available in all public buildings (schools, libraries, transit hubs, buildings at public parks) and anywhere state lotto tickets are sold. And run infomercials on TV, social media, etc.

They could be doing a much better job. (It's almost as if they're intentionally trying not to reach people.)

High schools should also be required to cover topics like how to vote, how to do your taxes, how to apply for a job, what's expected in most employment situations, and what the local laws are.

The U.S. Democratic Party's Civic Engagement and Voter Protection department is actively engaged in expanding people's access to voting. They need volunteers for their Election Advocate Program: Vote - Democrats

The Democratic Party's "I Will Vote" website (I Will Vote) includes step-by-step information on how to register to vote, and how to vote.

Circling back to the VP candidate. I just read an article about Senator Tammy Duckworth.
The only thing I knew about Duckworth was that she had brought her baby to the Senate floor for a vote and that she lost her legs in Iraq.
I did not know she was being considered for VP.
In some ways, she is not a good candidate for VP. She is not black. She is not from a battleground state. She does not have that much name recognition.
But she does check a lot of boxes
Woman, mom, veteran, her mom migrated here, center-left.

The other thing I like about Tammy Duckworth is that she may be Trump-proof. I'm not positive but I don't think Trump is stupid enough to give her a derogatory nick name and try to make fun of her.
Although... some at Fox news have attacked her. But it didn't go well for them.

Anyway, I have been thinking about the process. HOW should Biden pick his VP? Should he choose someone who will help him win this election? And that could go a few different ways. Someone from a swing state? or maybe someone who appeals to progressives? Or a black woman who would energize that demographic ( although Biden is already very strong with Black women).

His VP is automatically the front runner in 2024. So maybe he should choose someone based who could win and be a good president next.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.