Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Some people might think this is premature, but Donald Trump filed for reelection on the SECOND day of his presidency, plus millions of people have been waiting for 2020 the day he was inaugurated, plus some Democrats are already running for president, I make the case that it’s not too early to talk about 2020.

Two BuzzFeed articles to get the conversation started. The first is about Cory Booker, Democratic Senator from New Jersey, who is a vegan and doesn’t drink.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ust-like-him?utm_term=.jb6yjmpMxA#.jb6yjmpMxA

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...l-candidates?utm_term=.gkmwBb0VQz#.gkmwBb0VQz

Unfortunately, I think we're going to have to have a man at the top of the ticket.

I could see a Biden/Harris ticket doing well. I can see O'Rourke doing O.K., either at the top of the ticket or as VP candidate with an older top of the ticket. I don't think Booker can win at the top of the ticket, but he would be a good VP pick for either Biden or Sanders, neither of whom will energize the African American vote on their own.

I like Biden, but I think we need fresh blood like O'Rourke.

At the very least, I'm confident Biden could easily go blow for blow with tRump.

I too would prefer younger blood, but Biden and Sanders currently top the straw polls. I think Biden's "happy warrior" persona would contrast well against trump. Biden apparently also is the one candidate of whom trump is afraid.

Are we really hopeful that Trump can be defeated in 2020? Am I just too broken in thinking it can’t possibly happen? Or maybe I’m just trying to protect myself from another earth shattering outcome...I still can feel that physical “pit” in my stomach when I woke up and heard he had won.

Are we really hopeful that Trump can be defeated in 2020? Am I just too broken in thinking it can’t possibly happen? Or maybe I’m just trying to protect myself from another earth shattering outcome...I still can feel that physical “pit” in my stomach when I woke up and heard he had won.
Seems like 50/50 to me at this point ...

Warren is a lightning rod for Republicans, almost as much as Hillary was.

Plus the whole 1/1,064th Native American heritage thing is extra baggage she'll be carrying into the race.

It would be a big strategic mistake for the DNC to nominate her.

I don't think she will win the nomination.

I don't think a woman can win the presidency. The misogyny runs too deep, on the left as well as the right, among women as well as men.

I've been thinking about this since you posted.

I think he can be defeated, yes. I think it will be far from a slam dunk. I mean, it boggles my mind that third of my fellow citizens would happily vote for him again today. It's utterly depressing.

I worry about the left, as I did in 2016. Already, some Bernie supporters are trying to impugn Beto O'Rourke's "leftist cred." And repeats of scenes like the booing of military speakers at the Democratic National Convention - no matter what you might think of the military, can you not use some degree of sense and see how that kind of behaviour will turn off more centrist voters? !

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.u5.png

I've been thinking about this since you posted.

I think he can be defeated, yes. I think it will be far from a slam dunk. I mean, it boggles my mind that third of my fellow citizens would happily vote for him again today. It's utterly depressing.

I worry about the left, as I did in 2016. Already, some Bernie supporters are trying to impugn Beto O'Rourke's "leftist cred." And repeats of scenes like the booing of military speakers at the Democratic National Convention - no matter what you might think of the military, can you not use some degree of sense and see how that kind of behaviour will turn off more centrist voters? !

The left pretty much forgot about, oh THE ENTIRE working class, which is what I think landed Trump in the Oval Office. The left also has a bit of a personality problem with its candidates. It really doesn't matter to me at all whatsoever, but "likability" seems to be very important to Americans. :rolleyes: Hillary was too shrill, Bernie was too old . . . you know, unimportant qualities in a leader that the citizens of the U.S. think are deal-breakers.

I am not sure why we keep buying into the myth if this past election being driven by economic insecurity.

Hillary Clinton won every income group earning $49,000 or less. trump won every income group earning more than $49,000.

I know that "economic insecurity" and "the plight of the working class" makes a nice easy narrative for the nedia, a good selling one for the Republican powers that be who don't give a **** for the working class, and a comforting one for the left, to help them from facing their own misogyny and bigotry.

As for personality - that seems to be an issue only if the candidate is a woman. Exhibit A: trump, and his personality.

Yep. Hopefully they break out of their bubble by 2020, and realize relying solely on white, educated urban females will not carry them to victory.
At least a smaller percentage of them voted for trump than their male counterparts did.

Hillary Clinton won every income group earning $49,000 or less. trump won every income group earning more than $49,000.
Yes, but she didn't bring out enough of those voters (in certain key states, at least) required to win. They stayed home. Obama on the other hand ... Or at least that is what I heard.

Yes, but she didn't bring out enough of those voters (in certain key states, at least) required to win. They stayed home. Obama on the other hand ... Or at least that is what I heard.
Yes, African American voters didn't turn out for her in the numbers that they turned out for Obama. That level of enthusiasm isn't going to be recreated, not even for another black candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.