US The 2020 Campaign for US President

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, African American voters didn't turn out for her in the numbers that they turned out for Obama. That level of enthusiasm isn't going to be recreated, not even for another black candidate.
That's so pessimistic!
Hillary got shafted. I don't believe most people had any factual basis for why they disliked her, it seemed mostly urban legends and assumptions
Like shrill? What does that even mean?

Yeah, I am pretty pessimistic about the state of the country. I was a poll watcher for Obama in 2008, and the overall mood was so optimistic and joyful, even here in a heavily red county. The relatively few black residents were already lined up to vote when we arrived, before the polls opened. Election day was something to behold.

In 2016, I was working as an election judge. All day, I felt the anger coming off the voters, the white men. When I got home, I just crawled into bed. I was exhausted. I fully expected to wake to news of a trump presidency. The anger had been so palpable.

Yes, African American voters didn't turn out for her in the numbers that they turned out for Obama. That level of enthusiasm isn't going to be recreated, not even for another black candidate.
I heard it was "young" voters, as well?

Anyway, I hope the Democratic Party will do everything it can to avoid the mistakes of 2016. To me, part of that lesson is to pick someone who is less of a known quantity, who hasn't been dragged through the mud many times over.

And at least now they have the avatage that Trump as president is known to the electorate. His approval rating is currently at only 39%, despite the fact he's really been campaigning for a long time already.

I heard it was "young" voters, as well?

Anyway, I hope the Democratic Party will do everything it can to avoid the mistakes of 2016. To me, part of that lesson is to pick someone who is less of a known quantity, who hasn't been dragged through the mud many times over.

And at least now they have the avatage that Trump as president is known to the electorate. His approval rating is currently at only 39%, despite the fact he's really been campaigning for a long time already.

trump won the white youth (18-29) vote, 48% to 43% for Clinton. Clinton won overall, 55% to trump's 37% among all 18-29 year olds.

So Hillary would not have been helped by an increased white youth turnout; she would have been hurt by it.

It's yet another indicator of the extent of the backlash against the election of the first non-white president.

ETA cite: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Reactions: Andy_T
So Hillary would not have been helped by an increased white youth turnout; she would have been hurt by it.
How can you know that? Maybe the white Dem 18-29 y.o.s just weren't excited enough about Clinton, just like the Black voters we discussed earlier?

Anyway, it's late and to me it feels like we've talked enough about this aspect of the 2016 election now :)

How can you know that? Maybe the white Dem 18-29 y.o.s just weren't excited enough about Clinton, just like the Black voters we discussed earlier?

Anyway, it's late and to me it feels like we've talked enough about this aspect of the 2016 election now :)
Turnout among young voters increased in 2016 over 2012, the only group for which this was true. Turnout among black voters decreased in 2016, the only group for which this was true.

Black voter turnout fell in 2016 US election

Turnout among young voters increased in 2016 over 2012, the only group for which this was true. Turnout among black voters decreased in 2016, the only group for which this was true.

Black voter turnout fell in 2016 US election

Are we sure this is because black people just didn’t bother to vote, or were they victims of voter fraud and voter suppression tactics, such as voter ID laws, closure of polling stations, harassment and intimidation at polling stations, voting machines that break down or mysteriously switch votes from one candidate to another, and whatever else the Republicans could think of to keep black voters from voting or having their votes count?

Whites/blacks old/young. It really doesn't matter. The bottom line is that the Trump campaign played the electoral college game better than the Clinton campaign.

The next Democratic candidate needs to be more inclusive in their message, and really pay more attention to blue collar Dems in key states. Otherwise, history will repeat itself.

An article I would recommend to those who are concerned about the Democrats not being focused enough on the Midwestern and Rust Belt states: New DCCC chair Bustos vows to stay on offense in 2020

Its a good article, screaming impeachment might go down well with some, but Trump might not even go for a second term and the election is under two years away.

The Democrats are still struggling with collective cohesive policies. A few with what they think they should be going to the people with instead of what the voters want.

The Midwestern/Rust Belt states was a major screw up on Clinton's part, hanging around New York with celebrities was not going to win her the election.

Anyway, away from the booze .....they are starting to crawl out of the woodwork.

US Democrat Tulsi Gabbard announces 2020 presidential run

Tulsi Gabbard, a Democrat member of US Congress, has announced that she is running for president in 2020.

Gabbard, a delegate for Hawaii in the House of Representatives, told CNN in an interview set to air on Saturday night that she will formally announce her candidacy the next week.

"There are a lot of reasons for me to make this decision," Gabbard told the broadcaster. "There are a lot of challenges that are facing the American people that I'm concerned about and that I want to help solve."

The 37-year-old Iraq War veteran is the first Hindu elected to Congress and the first member born in the US territory of American Samoa.

Castro has chucked in his hat into the ring

Texas Democrat Julian Castro launches 2020 campaign

Texas Democrat Julian Castro, a former San Antonio mayor who went on to be the top US housing official, formally announced his White House bid on Saturday, making him the first Hispanic in what looks to be a crowded field of candidates vying to challenge President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.

Mr Castro, 44, the grandson of a Mexican immigrant who would be the first Hispanic elected president, served as secretary of Housing and Urban Development under former President Barack Obama and has long been viewed as a rising star in the party. He will seek to position himself as a political outsider with liberal credentials.

"When my grandmother got here almost a hundred years ago, I'm sure she never could have imagined that just two generations later, one of her grandsons would be serving as a member of the United States Congress and the other would be standing with you here today to say these words: I am a candidate for President of the United States of America," Mr Castro said in a statement announcing his campaign.

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
Castro has chucked in his hat into the ring

Texas Democrat Julian Castro launches 2020 campaign

Texas Democrat Julian Castro, a former San Antonio mayor who went on to be the top US housing official, formally announced his White House bid on Saturday, making him the first Hispanic in what looks to be a crowded field of candidates vying to challenge President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.

Mr Castro, 44, the grandson of a Mexican immigrant who would be the first Hispanic elected president, served as secretary of Housing and Urban Development under former President Barack Obama and has long been viewed as a rising star in the party. He will seek to position himself as a political outsider with liberal credentials.

"When my grandmother got here almost a hundred years ago, I'm sure she never could have imagined that just two generations later, one of her grandsons would be serving as a member of the United States Congress and the other would be standing with you here today to say these words: I am a candidate for President of the United States of America," Mr Castro said in a statement announcing his campaign.

I don’t think he has a chance at the party nomination, but I can see him as the eventual nominee’s potential pick for Vice Presidential running mate.

Bernie has been staffing for a run, although he has not yet announced.

Gillibrand is running.

I'm 98% certain Kamala Harris is running. She hasn't announced yet, but she's picked Baltimore as her campaign headquarters.

Beto is still wandering the wilderness, scrutinizing his soul.

Who do I like the best among the crop so far? Kamala and Beto. Neither gives a flying f*** about what trump thinks or says about them. Kamala strikes me as a woman of steel who enjoys a battle, and Beto ... well, his eccentricity appeals to me.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.